Gelateria Savoia
Ranked #5 of 65 Dessert in Verona
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I liked the ice cream,,, the texture is not too much creamy, it is more like sherbet(?) texture.
I love this place!!!! I tried cherry and caffe. Both were good ;)

1  Thank Victoria-Sunglee

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Very disappointing. My husband even threw some of his ice cream away - unheard of! The gelato (we had amarena, butterscotch, chocolate and yoghurt) was much too sweet, and tasteless. This was certainly the worst ice cream we have had in Italy. There are plenty of other gelateria in this part of Verona.

2  Thank V T
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was visiting Verona last week and was suggested to try ice cream in this historical cafe. I tried their very original Semifreddo dated back to 1939. It was an amazing almond taste with a very balanced sweet flavor. I highly recommend to try this very original taste from Cafe Savoia in Verona.

1  Thank IdilCanTribble
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We came in this otherwise seams to be controversial gelateria (as per Tripadvisor suggestions and reviews) just by chance without any expectations and the prejudices - we were attracted by the posters with the original ice cream - those from 30s and so on - they look as the ice cream in our kids time (even we are not even born till much later than most of them been invented in Savoia) - so I took a semifredo ice - which is mandel flavour ice cream in between two mandel cookies - the experience was a nice one - most profound mandel ice cream I have ever had (well I am not an ice cream expert by far and not eating a lot of it as usual - Italy seams to be an exeption to this).
The otherwise gluten free (even gluten free horn which is extremly unique so far) - was also Ok - no complaints and nothing to be disappointed - the only it was a bit too sweet for the flavours we took - so if you do not like extra sweet ice cream - this may not be your place.
The cost was very reasonable, the line was fast and the taste and shape of the ice cream from my child time make it worth a try especially for original ice creams from the early time. In my eyes worth a try!

1  Thank VitPetersburg
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was one of three gelateria recommended in our Rough Guide guide book, and it was referred to as a "local favourite" and I can only assume that something pretty fundamental has changed since the book was printed.

Whether it is that the gelateria has decided that there is always a good trade given their location (just off Piazza Bra) and us stupid tourists don't really know the difference between good and bad ice cream anyway, or there's another more charitable reason, probably only time will tell.

To the ice cream itself - we tried 4 flavours between two of us and all of them were full of ice crystals, and these were clearly the first thing that melted because we were left with left a puddle of water in each cup - as opposed to the ice cream itself melting. If I'd made this myself, I would have been disappointed with it.

Save your money and head to the truly delicious Gelateria Ponte Pietra which was 10c a scoop more expensive, but a million miles away in quality.

3  Thank cheryltheperil