“Location, staff and amenities made for a great stay in Verona”

Escalus Luxury Suites Verona
Ranked #1 of 172 Specialty Lodging in Verona
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Location, staff and amenities made for a great stay in Verona”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We spent three nights at Escalus while visiting Verona during our honeymoon. The hotel location can't be beat. It is steps away from the Arena, Piazza Bra and easy-walking distance to all of Verona's sites. The staff members are helpful and friendly and provided great suggestions for restaurants, sites and nearby Valpolicella wineries. We booked a junior suite but received an upgrade to a larger suite, thanks to our membership with Small Luxury Hotels. The suite was spacious (especially by European standards) and the furnishing, decor and design was modern and clean. The daily in-room breakfast that was provided as part of the rate was delicious- a nice selection of fresh pastries, fruit and freshly squeezed juices. (the kitchen must have been near our room because every morning we woke up to the smell of pastries warming in the oven! :))The small bud vase with freshcut freesia, fluffy robes and the toiletries (Vrai by Fragonard) in the modern bathroom were also nice touches. Only minor quibble is the walls are fairly thin and you can hear the plumbing and footsteps of neighboring guests and chatter at street level. Overall, a great stay. We would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JLNC_11
, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Escalus Luxury Suites Verona, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Charlotte, thank you for your nice words. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we could fulfill your wishes. We hope you will keep in your heart the memory of Escalus and Verona, the city of love, as part of your unforgettable honeymoon. Hope to see you soon again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
Georgia
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I spent two nights in a Fashion Suite at Escalus this past week while visiting Verona. After several nights in more traditionally European hotels, I was so thrilled to have such an amazing place to stay. The staff members were so friendly and helpful, and offered great suggestions for food and sightseeing. My room was huge! It had a large living room, large bedroom a a large bathroom - amazing! It looked new and modern, which was a welcome change from my other hotels on the trip. The location was perfect. Right at the arena and so close to the sights. Breakfast was good - not the best is had, but still good. It's delivered to your room each morning, which helped me get up and moving for the day. The one drawback to this hotel was the noise level. I am not a light sleeper, so it wasn't a huge deal, but something to be aware of. I could hear footsteps from the room above, talking/laughter from the street below, and doors slamming on my hallway. However, noise is an issue at most Italian hotels, so that shouldn't stop you from staying here. It's truly a hidden gem!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank HPMari
Reviewed December 3, 2011

While a don't really need a shower that is on stage to the rest of the room (glad for the blinds), the room was very nice, tons of storage room, included a nice in-room breakfast, and ade us feel quite comfortable. Service with the car was great. Would definitely return

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Vnblukas
Paris, France
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Such an incredible stay at this rather curiously named boutique hotel. The lobbyless entrance, steps away from the Arena, makes you feel like youre renting a private apartment. Even the basic rooms are spacious loft-style layouts with tasteful modern design-- actually a refreshing break from the ancient city sights in old verona. A pristine white bed with a cast iron four-poster frame, a peekabo shower and an in-room continental breakfast service are all luxury touches we loved. Staff (even though you never really see them) are available and friendly.

Youd have to have a good reason to stay anywhere else in verona!

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank opalfire
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed November 10, 2011

It is really hard to describe this property. I dont say this often but for Escalus, everything is perfect about it.
It is located exactly the center of the old city of Verona. In seconds you may find your self in the Arena or the shopping district.
The front desk personel is very polite and helpfull. The rooms are large, new, modern and very comfortable. Nice modern decoration and very convinient.
No restaurant or breakfast saloon, you get your breakfast to your room everymorning according to your order.

The only problem can be the parking for some who expects a parking in the property. You should leave the car to the valet or park yourself in public parking areas. But you forget this parking experience right after you enter your room.

If you are not travelling for business, this should be the choice. You will not regret it.

Room Tip: Even the smallest suites are very comfortable and large enough for couples
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank meetjoeblack
Toronto
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had a great time in Verona. Escalus was totally under the radar. A modern boutique hotel tucked away behind via Mazzini the main shopping street. We had a comfortable room, they are all suites.
Friendly staff, valet parking, and breakfast in the room was all good. The location is excellent. Have fun!
(BTW we purchased a TIM sim card for unlimited internet service that was cheap and worked great but works only in Italy.)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TorontoTraveller2010
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Firstly I'd like to say that the hotel is in a great location and the rooms are very modern and stylish but unfortunately our stay here was not pleasant and we were on our honeymoon.
On the second day here I noticed that I could not find two items that we had bought with us and had already used, one of these being toothpaste which is very difficult to loose seeing as it rarely leaves the bathroom. One of the hotel managers was informed and she replaced these items for us. The next day I went to use some expensive makeup and noticed that this was also missing. When I informed reception I spoke to a different female manager and was made to feel like I was making the
whole thing up and was told that they were certain none of there staff would remove items from any rooms.Luckily we were only here for 4 nights as my husband and I began to feel very uncomfortable in this hotel.
On checkout we were told our 3 missing items had been found and that our room had been searched and the items had been located in a drawer in the bedroom. I assured the manager that I certainly had not placed these items in a drawer in the bedroom (who keeps toothpaste in their bedroom?) and she told me it was easy to forget! She then handed back my items from behind the counter. I told her that I felt the items had been removed by the cleaner and again she told me that the cleaners are told not to touch or remove items. I feel that the whole operation was a large cover up by the management team and know 100% that these items were taken from my room, and I am absolutely appalled at the way the incident was handled. I travel regularly and have never lost or had anything go missing before, and have also never been made to feel the way I was by any hotel staff before. The breakfast menu was also very limited and after 4 days we couldnt wait for a change and we also found our room noisy at night. I certainly would never stay in this hotel again which is a great shame because Verona is so beautiful!!

• Stayed September 2011
10 Thank Jennifer-Mitchell
EscalusLuxurySuites, Direttore generale at Escalus Luxury Suites Verona, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Dear guests,
first of all we would like to thank you for your compliments to our structure: the great location and the unique style of our hotel are actually our strengths.
We are very sorry for what you have written in your review and for the bad memory you have of your stay here.
Escalus has excellent reviews in all websites and all our guests have always very good words both for the hotel and for the friendly and efficient staff. The expression “we felt like at home” is one of the most recurring and pleasant compliment we usually receive. In fact, our structure is very small and we always try to do our best to take care of every little thing, in order to render our guest’s stay as pleasant as possible. We have only two housekeepers for ten rooms, and they have been working with us since Escalus opened in 2009. They are reliable and efficient and the average score on “Clean” on Tripadvisor is 9.7, almost the top.
When you informed us that a toothpaste and a plastic brush had disappeared from your room, and you granted us that you had controlled in the drawers of the bathroom, we immediately bought new items for you. When you came again, the day after, and told us that you couldn’t find a blusher as well, we immediately arranged for the second cleaning lady to go to your room and search everywhere, together with another member of the staff. They immediately found the three items in the upper drawer of the bathroom, near the shower (and not in the drawer of the bedroom as you wrote in your review). Maybe the housekeeper, in order to tidy up better the crystal sink top, put them in the drawer (where we bag you to search the first day).
We were really happy and satisfied about this discovery, and thought you would be too. But when we gave the items back to you, you seemed disappointed and you accused us of an “hypothetical conspiracy”.
Escalus is a boutique hotel, with very beautiful modern paintings, books and furnishings, but nothing has never been taken from our hotel. That is why the Manager asked you if you were sure, obviously not to offend you. You will understand that the Management has of course all the interest in the well being of all the guests.
We hope that this clarification will help you have a good memory of Escalus and of our wonderful city.
Kind regards,