“Like going back to a bygone era of dining”

Locanda di Castelvecchio
Ranked #120 of 1,202 Restaurants in Verona
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Eire
“Like going back to a bygone era of dining”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in, the service is impeccable, the decor olde world grand but in a quirky way and the food and wine is divine! The waiting staff are attentive but not intrusive, and the service is almost theatrical. The menu is somewhat limited, but the quality and presentation is excellent. We arrived at 8.15 and left at 11pm and at no time did we feel that we were under pressure to leave - it was a thoroughly enjoyable, entertaining and relaxing evening. We both had starters and then the 'pièce de résistance' the meat feast trolley, where the theatre began with the chef describing carving and presenting chosen cuts onto ones plate, with skill and panache! We had a bottle of Amarone to accompany this, which was delicious. We both had a sweet of english trifle and a tiramisu, which we didn't really need but were lovely and then just when we thought we would burst, two big dishes with miniature meringues and a nut laden praline/biscuit were brought to the table. This is a gem of a place, ask for a table out in the conservatory and enjoy!.

• Visited September 2013

Manchester
“Beautiful fine dining”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were staying at the hotel Il Relais set back slightly above this restaurant and we booked to eat here on our first night. The food was exquisite.

We had the carpaccio and smoked salmon for stutter which was plentiful in fact I had that much salmon I shared with my partner! We then indulged in the meat trolley which does not do it justice!! This is brought out by one of the top chefs and carved as served at our table - there was so much!!!

After a little break we decided to have a pudding. Tiramisu which my husband said was divine and I had this lovely vanilla type cake! Topped off with a coffee and gorgeous baked biscuits I was very happy and full!

Real treat but not too expensive.. With a bottle of wine and water it was €134! Try this place it is a break from the bread and pasta!

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Limited menu and poor service”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Wanted to go somewhere special for our last night in Verona and this place had been mentioned amongst michelin-star rated restaurants in a Guardian article I had read whilst researching the city, so we picked this place.

However, we should have looked at the menu before entering as, if we had, we would have changed our minds. For main course, unless you're happy to order from the meat-trolley (which actually looked quite appetising when being carved for other diners, but was not made to sound too appealing in the menu) the only other options were Steak Tartare, Octopus or an unspecified vegetarian dish.

Whilst the menu was a bad start in my opinion, the demeanour of our waiter was very unsettling and we were not made to feel welcome at all. On balance the food was okay (apart from the gnocchi starter was overcooked and rubbery), but definitely not worth the money you pay for it.

When we had finished our mains we had our plates taken away and that was the last we saw of the waiter for at least 20 minutes; no offer of dessert, more drinks or coffee... we were basically sitting there with nothing but empty wine and water classes in front of us. We eventually decided to just ask for the bill and it was a further 10-15 minutes before anything else happened. I had to ask a further time and we also had to retrieve our own coats it was taking so long!

Needless to say we did not tip and will not be going back.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank MikeChambers85
Mallorca
“Out of this world”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My favourite restaurant in the whole world, bar none. Armando is a king and to eat here is to join him in a feast where life's riches are abound. The food is indescribably delicious and the decor is opulent but quirky. Shells in the sink basin, pearls and coral black and white photos. If there is a place I could get on a plane and go to for dinner anywhere in the world, this would be it. If you get the chance to go, consider yourself very lucky indeed.

1 Thank BridgetteMallorca
Venice, Italy
“Flamboyant beauty complemented by luscious food”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I were privileged to eat in the garden or conservatory room in this amazingly romantic restaurant. The food was delicious. My eyes stood on stalks when I saw the variety of roast and boiled meats on a trolley wheeled out by owner Armando. He carved for each table with a flourish and ensured all were delighted. The menu offers much to less carnally inclined diners too. The wine list is extensive and showcases Italy's best. The atmosphere was convivial and the service attentive. We can't wait to return.

• Visited September 2012