“What a great and memorable experience!”
Review of Met Restaurant

Met Restaurant
Ranked #496 of 1,435 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castello
Beaverton
“What a great and memorable experience!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I am so happy to have found this restaurant- I feel inspired by the food. The service, food and the atmosphere were exceptional. Me and my husband ordered the tasting menu- one of the traditional and one of the modern. This journey through Italy in the traditional and modern way was indeed an experience. I recommend ordering both to compare the difference of the incredible way the traditional food is prepared and then enjoying the chef's creativity and vision in the modern interpretation. Everything i had was incredible- not only was the taste excellent but the presentation was inventive and added to the whole experience. The service was pitch-perfect.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank MA1900

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Avoiding Acqua Alta”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

With ‘acqua alta’ raging outside and not wishing to get our feet wet, we decided to ‘eat in’ at the Metropole Hotel and try their acclaimed ‘Met’ restaurant. I booked a table for four for 7.30pm. When we arrived we were the first customers, and warmly welcomed by the maître d’, who spoke impeccable English and showed us to a Murano glass adorned table. The menu was carefully explained and it included expensive taster menus and ‘a la carte’ dishes, mirrored in either traditional or contemporary styles. This limited the choice to three dishes in each course, with fish, pork or beef as the mains.
An aperitif of prosecco was swiftly followed by a range of homemade breads and bread sticks, while we decided on our preferences. We all decided to go straight to mains and save ourselves for one of the range of desserts available. I went for the slow braised beef in red wine on a potato mash, while my fellow diners all selected the suckling pig with fresh vegetables. We all conservatively chose the traditional style in each dish. A Trebbiano white wine from Alto Adige and still and sparkling waters seemed ideal accompaniments.
The restaurant, like the hotel itself, is beautifully decorated and houses an eclectic mix of collections that range from bookends to cherubs to corkscrews. The restaurant features cigarette cases displayed in its glass walls. Beautiful local Murano glass is prominent throughout the restaurant, on tables, in lights and light shades and some dishes are served on wonderfully decorated Murano platters. Tables for two were slow to fill throughout the evening and in all, I only counted ten covers, of which we were four. Although open to the public and featuring its menu at the hotel entrance, the restaurant does not seem to attract many non-residents. Maybe the limited menu of dishes in traditional or contemporary style is a turn off, when many tourists to Venice want more choice, even if they have to get their feet wet to do so!
Our meals arrive in a flourish and were beautifully presented. My braised beef, which had been cooking for six hours, I was told, was tender and succulent in its excellent red Barolo wine, reminding me of my mother’s braised steak stew of fifty years ago. The mash was soft and creamy and the gravy a reflection of the beautiful braised meat juices. An excellent choice! Likewise, my fellow diners had no complaints and complimented the crispy suckling pork and tender vegetables. I don’t know the history of this restaurant but it certainly serves outstanding food these days and is worth a visit.
All the waiting staff were attentive and polite throughout the meal, filling glasses and replenishing bottles of water. We all finishes off with the chocolate dessert in a contemporary style and while waiting their arrival; my wife took up the maître d’s invitation to visit the kitchen, something she would never turn down being a chef herself. Her report back, came just in time for her to help serve the desserts and was very positive, complimenting the well organised and spotless ‘la cucina’. Intriguing chocolate spheres, melted before our eyes, when the sauce was gently poured upon them to reveal a delicious interior that we all quickly devoured.
Time for the bill and it was surprisingly good value at 260 euros, including the bottle of Trebbiano, the bottle of Prosecco and four bottles of water. Admittedly, the four of us only had mains and desserts but for this quality of food in these surroundings it was excellent.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Paul B
London, United Kingdom
“Thanks Marco!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is the first time I'm writing a review, but we've been visiting many restaurant especially Michelin-star ones around the world. We stumbled upon it when there was an event called Abyss. We've been so lucky to be there for that occasion, everything was amazing. Wines were very good and the staff was great in creating such a special atmosphere. We're looking forward to try it again.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank John E
Hong Kong, China
“Need extra mile to keep up”
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We were a party of 4, had 2 contemporary menu, 1 traditional menu n 4 a la carte courses. The service was very good, staff was attentive yet not intimidating. Food was very good but was not exceptional. Given we had tried some michelin rated restaurants from 1 to 3, I would say, the met needs to go an extra mile in order to keep up with the michelin title.

Gent, België
“Simple local food reinvented.”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Didn't know what to expect because the whole idea behind the restaurant just changed. Both me and my girlfriend chose the contemparary menu, and we have to say 4 out of the 5 dishes were amazing. Especially the reinvented tomato with shrimp tartar is amazing.
The ambiance and level of service is very good, and the maitre was very friendly, and eager to not only do a good job, but also listen and talk about the wines.
Then we get to the only downside of the evening, the wines are really good, but if you pay 100 euro you atleast expect to get a little refill. I'm not saying you should get 2 full glasses, but once your glass is half full, they could come back and ask if you want a little more wine.
But thats only a small point of comment, in general i was amazed what the chef did with only some tomato, kappers, olives, sellery and fish. I loved the fact that when i visted the Rialto fishmarket i saw the same fish on my plate that evening!! I believe your on the right track to get the 2 michelin starts you once owned!!

• Visited August 2012