“Great Wine Bar, Not so good Restaurant”
Review of Enoiteca Mascareta

Enoiteca Mascareta
Ranked #266 of 1,472 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castello
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Based on many positive reviews, my wife and I decided to seek out this establishment. So, they have a wonderful wine selection. Nearly any Italian wine and many others can be had by the glass. Good prices and very knowledgable staff. That's, if you could get them to your table. The waitstaff is very, very, understaffed for the number of tables. Food mix ups, forgotten items etc almost ruined the evening. Gnocchi was not even close to housemade. I've had better frozen. We would certainly go back for the extensive wine list but certainly not for dinner. The wait staff tried but the staff to table ratio was way off.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Caught outside in a thunderstorm in Venice early one evening my girlfriend and I took cover in an outside booth of a restaurant. Whilst waiting for the storm to subside we noticed that the staff member inside was slicing up delicious looking cuts of meats and cheese. We also saw a sign stating something to the effect that Jamie Oliver liked this restaurant (not always a positive, but not always a bad thing either!). We discovered that they would open at 7pm so only a 45 minute wait and as it was pelting down we decided that we would sit in the booth until they opened. Luckily for us the staff obviously felt sorry for us sitting out in the weather (another couple were also taking cover in the second outside booth) and he let us all inside and even brought us espresso's to warm us up! This was really lovely and on the dot of 7pm another staff member brought a bottle of red over to the table we were at and started pouring! This just set us up for a wonderful evening, the wine was pretty good, the plate of meat and cheese was delicious (we couldn't resist!!), the prosecco was excellent, duck gnocchi and guinea fowl were stand outs (Guinea fowl one of the best meals of our entire Italian trip) and all in all we had a wonderful time! The thunderstorm cleared as the night went on and we rolled home. Definitely a great place to go for a meal in Venice, we ran up our usual EUR 50 per person, the service was typically Italian, friendly but not what you would call quick, which we are fine with as we were not in a hurry and had been used to Italian time after travelling for a few weeks throughout the country. I would definitely send anyone there, especially in a thunderstorm!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stumbled upon this place late on a Sunday night. It was crowded, but the eccentric and enthusiastic owner led us to a table right away. Our waiter proceeded to recommend a series of dishes & wines that made for one of the best meals of my life. I wanted to go back a second night, but in the process of trying to find it again, got lost and wound up eating at another place that looked similarly wonderful but wasn't half as good. I'll be sure not to make the same mistake on my next trip to Venice. I hate making restaurant reservations when I travel, but this is the kind of place where I would make an exception. Don't miss it!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We enjoyed a lovely meal here on our recent trip to Venice, on a recomendation from the owners of our B&B. We really enjoyed it. We got there quite early (7.30) and it started to get much busier after this so I would recomend booking (if they take reservations).
We shared a platter of meats to start and enjoyed along with bread, oil and vinegar. They were nice and of good quality. Our mains of pasta (spagetti with lagoon clams and ravioli) were also delicious. We were only disappoitned we couldn't manage some tiramisu.

They have some house wines on the menu, the rest change all the time so the waiter is happy to recomend wines and talk through what they have. We had a lovely glass of amarone (couldn't afford the bottle unfortunately) followed by some more affordable Montepulciano.

All in all, it was a great evening and if we return to Venice, we will definitely go back.

(oh and it turns out Jamie Oliver likes the place too)

Reviewed September 12, 2012

After reading your review decided to try this establishment. The service was absolutely terrible. My husband and I were seated at a table with another couple - we were not comfortable with this, but were prepared to overlook it. We asked for plates as we wanted to dip our bread in the oliver oil and balsamic vinevar, they never arrived. We asked for a second bottle of water, this also did not arrive. The food was good, but on the whole, not a good dining experience. Would rather support other restaurants.