“Wonderful Atmospheric Restaurant”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castello
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Ai Barbacani is our favourite restaurant in Venice. The food is good but it's the ambiance, welcome And general atmosphere that makes it a special place.
It's really good to see people leaving with a smile on their face after being made to feel so welcome.
Thank you so much for two very special evenings.

There are newer reviews for Ai Barbacani

Reviewed January 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I decided to check this place out based on other TripAdvisor reviews and we had a blast! We had a romantic dinner with great service. The free wine in the beginning and free shot of limoncello happened to be the cherry on top. We arrived around 6 PM and were the first ones there for dinner. We got a place right next to the fireplace and simply put it was great! Go for the Dinner special, tasty and affordable. Watch out for the cover charge if you don't get it though!

2  Thank Steve G
Reviewed November 29, 2011

The welcome with a glass of prosecco (the excellent house bianco ) and the goodbye with grappa/limone exemplify the charm and excellence of this restaurant. The set meal is a bargain and the (?proprietor) an enhancement to a pleasant meal. Ask him to chat about his model crafts on display around you!

3  Thank John S
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I'm wondering why there are so many good reviews for this place on Trip Advisor - but I can only review what we got when we went.

Pretty poor really. We booked the day before, The night started well with a 'free' prosecco (they also offer you a limoncello or grappa at the end of your meal).

Unfortunately the food was mediocre. I had fish, my wife is vegetarian. Neither of us ordered off the tourist menu.

I got the impression that the restaurant aims largely at the British/ American/ German tourist trade. I did not notice locals eating there. If you can read an Italian menu there are other local restaurants which do have local Italian customers, serve better food and have a better atmosphere.

1  Thank Paul Schofield
Reviewed November 15, 2011

The space is lovely, welcoming and warm (especially in a cold November night), with a fireplace. The food is good and the portions generous, but it is not amazing. Neither cheap nor expensive (for Venice, which is quite expensive itself.) Definitely great for a romantic dinner.