“Great”
Review of La Caravella

La Caravella
Reserve with
La Caravella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 1,472 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Description: La Caravella restaurant in Venice can be discovered immediately behind the newly-restored La Fenice theatre, just a few paces from the Piazza San Marco. Stepping inside, you will feel as if you have entered an antique sailing ship, with dark wood paneling, capstans and ropes and leaded windows. In summer, you may not step inside at all as La Caravella moves into a flower-filled courtyard complete with original wells, or the lighter courtyard dining room with typical Venetian ambience. The menu is typically Venetian too, with dishes like classic saor, marinated sardines with onions, pine kernels and raisins, fish soup, or oven orast turbot with potatoes and olives. In addition, the chef uses fresh seasonal ingredients to create trendier fare. The excellent wine list features both historical wine producers and smaller boutique vintners. Planning a party? La Caravella welcomes wedding receptions, private dinners, banquets, corporate entertaining, even coffee breaks. The garden seats up to 65 and one of the dining rooms up to 75.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went with a friend who had eaten there before and it was everything she said it would be, we ate in the courtyard and the service was attentive but not intrusive.The food was delicious with complimentary canapés and I would eat there again

Write a ReviewReviews (1,768)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Before we went to Venice - this time around - I did my research and made a list of the best restaurants in town. This one was on the top....no wonder why! Everything was amazing! If you don't mind to spend a little bit more than a dime :)))) on great food, you have to try!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I just read the review from Barry C, who apparently was in the same party as I was. My experience was far more favourable though. Maybe because I was in the VIP room with a party of 10. The menu was the same however, and I have to say I was absolutely delighted about it. Sure, the dessert looked like fish fingers, but in my opinion that can be just the funny surprise: the taste was really nice. I definitely rate this restaurant the best I have been to in Venice. Maybe a party of 70 is just too big to satisfy everybody. And as Barry said, the wines were very good! Although I don't know what the price per person was, I have the feeling that it is in the upper range. Well, that is the nice thing about being invited! We arrived by water taxi, but I suppose there is a street entrance too.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were invited here with a large group of about 70 persons last night. I know how hard it must be to serve this many people and have everything come out all at the same time. The prosecco bar before was great but they only had potatoe chips( crisps) and normal olives (the small ones you can buy in a jar with the pimentos inside) to eat and it was 19:45 so people were getting hungry. The 1st course was good a cod kind of crabcake like and a piece of sea bass. The main was okay a normal veal chop with a eggplant kind of cake also. The dessert was called fried cream (3 small rectangle shaped fried pieces of cream with a vanilla sauce), they looked like mini fish sticks, not appealing at all. I only took one bite and then thought I did not want to waste the calories on this. Then they started serving coffees. Not the usual Italian espresso we all love in Italy, but normal coffees. I thought where am I at. I said no to this and ask for an espresso as did some of the others at my table. I am sure the menu was chosen by the invitee, but after all the rave reviews I thought I was in store for a great culinary evening. This was not the case. The wines and the ambience of the restaurant were the only highlights of this evening. The last review said if it is Fall to ask for the Porcini mushroom menu. I thought after I saw this that at least one of the entrees would have had this. I know this is a very expensive restaurant, so will probably not go back because I wouldn't want to be disappointed if I was paying. I think it could have been done so much better than it was.

1  Thank barry c
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was fortunate enough to be invited to dear friend's wedding on 1st October. The restaurant was perfect for the group of 8 people. It wasn't possible to eat in the picturesque courtyard due to the weather being chilly, but this did not deter from our enjoyment in any way. In fact the inside restaurant is perfect and intimate, like the inside of a galleon ship.
I cannot say enough about the service and quality of food. We chose their 'degustazione' tasting menu and every dish was perfect, both to look at and taste. Lobster bisque, fresh salmon, John Dory 'Carnival style' and the desert was amazing, especially the creme brulee and peanut ice-cream.
To top off an amazing meal, once the staff new the bride-groom was a 'chef', they paid special attention to explaining types of pasta and gave the groom a gift of special bigoli pasta and a poster showing different types of pasta. The staff were attentive and couldnt do enough for us!