“Dissapointing”
Review of La Caravella

La Caravella
Reserve with
La Caravella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 1,460 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Description: La Caravella restaurant in Venice can be discovered immediately behind the newly-restored La Fenice theatre, just a few paces from the Piazza San Marco. Stepping inside, you will feel as if you have entered an antique sailing ship, with dark wood paneling, capstans and ropes and leaded windows. In summer, you may not step inside at all as La Caravella moves into a flower-filled courtyard complete with original wells, or the lighter courtyard dining room with typical Venetian ambience. The menu is typically Venetian too, with dishes like classic saor, marinated sardines with onions, pine kernels and raisins, fish soup, or oven orast turbot with potatoes and olives. In addition, the chef uses fresh seasonal ingredients to create trendier fare. The excellent wine list features both historical wine producers and smaller boutique vintners. Planning a party? La Caravella welcomes wedding receptions, private dinners, banquets, corporate entertaining, even coffee breaks. The garden seats up to 65 and one of the dining rooms up to 75.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We ate in 3 restuarants whilst in Venice and this was the only one we had pre booked and done some research on.
We arrived a little late,15 minutes but were seated immediatley. The interior is that of a galleon and is very cramped. You are incredibly close to other diners but I suppose space is a premium in Venice. I ordered sardines with maramalde and my partner ordered a fish medley. They arrived very quickly and were very average. For mains we both ordered steaks but a medium rare was served very rare and was returned to the kitchen. The food is served on very small plates with a picture of a galleon on! When our steaks returned we took our time to eat but the tables around us were turning around very quickly. We decided not to order desserts and went to the small bar to pay the bill as no one seemed to want to take payment from us. We were offered and drank a nice single malt whiskey whilst at the bar which was nice.
In summary we enjoyed our evening out and some of the staff were nice but the food is no more than average and it really is a tourist trap. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone but by the reviews alot of people like it so make your own mind up!

There are newer reviews for La Caravella

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We booked - via our hotel the Palazzo Stern- for dinner on a wet, cold Saturday night - and I am glad we did as it was busy but not too packed.

This is firmly on the tourist circuit with international people - mainly French when we were there - but this is not a bad thing - we are tourists too!

Service from start to finish was courteous and efficent - I appreciated the attention to detail and we felt our meal was well paced.

We had marinated sardines & carpaccio to start, shared the famous fish soup (one between two - it is massive) and then had scallops & veal for main courses.

We couldn't manage a dessert but really liked the petit fours served with coffee and complimentary liquers.

The room is dark with wood panelling and felt cosy on a cold night.

This is old school fine dining - and the prices were not over the top for the location and style of meal - on a par with London.

We had a great night

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I visited La Caravella on Saturday night with my fiancé. We didn't make reservations but was able to get a table in what they class as the bar area. It's not quite as nice as the main restaurant seating area but still good.
We didn't order a starter just main, dessert and a bottle of wine.
A bread basket was bought out whilst we waited for our food as well as a mustard bread. The bread did not taste good, so I was worried about the food.
My lamb was served and it was beautiful and so was the steak my partner had.
My Dessert was also lovely and we were served some complimentary chocolates which were amazing.
The bill was approximately 120 euros which yes was a bit steep but as a one off treat it was fine.
The service was slow but the restaurant was full and the staff were very friendly.
I would definitely recommend this restaurant. Particularly to couples as it has a romantic candle lit atmosphere.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend went here for dinner and the overall experience was amazing. The restaurant is romantic, the waiters attentive and the food was stylish, looked first class and tasted amazing! We got a free apperitive, before our starter which was delicious. It is expensive, a main course €30-39, a starter €22-26, desserts €13-18. However we went here knowing this as it was a treat. If you like lots on offer on the menu this isn't a place for you, the menu is very specific. If your looking for a special evening of fine dining without minding the price tag this would be a perfect choice.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

This restaurant not far from San Marco has an interior designed to be reminiscent of a ship's interior. The service is impeccable. The food is excellent. My husband had the Venetian fish soup. It is the most expensive item on the menu and absolutely worth it. The portion was huge. There were 9 types of fish and it was flavored beautifully. I had the spider crab pasta which was delicate and light. The wine selection was excellent. Fine dining