“Out of the way delicious”
Review of Osteria Da Fiore

Osteria Da Fiore
Ranked #288 of 1,426 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: San Polo
new york
“Out of the way delicious”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Superb cuisine and service in a charming atmosphere. My wife decided not to have fish and instead ordered the liver. She stated that it was the best she ever had. The presentation and preparation of our meal was perfect. The cost was $230 and well worth it.

2 Thank doctorbob10

Berlin, Germany
“Service is not good.”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is the only Restaurant with a Michelin-Star in Venice. The Service is very arrogant and not good. The Food is fair and the Interiour average. Not good enough for the money you spend. To make a Reservation you need to give your Creditcard-Details. If you don't cancel 12 Hours in advance they charge a Cacellatin-Fee of 50 Euro per Person.

2 Thank Lukejacksam
Irvine, CA
“Great food”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This place is VERY expensive but the food is great. We had a bean soup and grilled sole, both were excellent. The tiramisu was to die for. They also bring you complimentary dessert that was exceptional. Waiters are very friendly but do not expect to be out of the restaurant quickly: this is not a fast food place, it took a long time to prepare our dinner even though we ordered at the bar, before we were seated at a table.

1 Thank IrvineFamilyTravels
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
“Much Ado About Nothing”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The service is downright rude. The food is unremarkable. The place is an expensive tourist trap - and the waiters probably have something against foreign customers, for we were mistreated from the moment we arrived. What should have been a nice farewell dinner to Venice became a frustrating experience. Not recommended at all.

7 Thank Daniel A
London
“Excellent service, fab setting, ask for food recommendations...”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our first night in Venice and we asked the Bar man at our restaurant The Carlton on the Grand Canal if he could recommend a good seafood restaurant. He suggested Da Fiore, albeit he did admit he'd not eaten there himself, but knew of someone who used to work there, and said they kept telling him to go there himself as it was so good. He didn't even know how to get there, so I looked it up on my phone and we decided to go.

After only a couple of wrong turns we found it (albeit it would be impossible to give directions without a map). From the outside it looks like nothing and I was quite wary as we walked in. We asked for a table only to be told 'sorry' we are fully booked. We obviously looked disappointed and said we had come on a recommendation from the waiter at our hotel. They must have taken pity as they looked at their book and then said all they could offer was a table which we would need to leave by 9:40pm. As this suited us fine we agreed, and I'm glad we did.

As we walked further into the restaurant I was pleasantly surprised as it had a wonderfully chic feel about it. Lovely linen table cloths, beautiful glasses and a special place to put my handbag. I then felt slightly worried as I was handed a menu without any prices and checked with the Monkeyboy that it wasn't going to break the bank! Luckily it was our first night in Venice, plus we are on holiday but this is definitely a 'go-to' restaurant, for a special occasion, and not a regular occurrence.

We were treated to an 'Amuse Bouche' on the house, which was very tasty and this was followed by our choice of food.

If we had not been there for a limited time I would have liked to try the special tasting menu, instead I opted for fried oysters (served in batter with a slightly too thick yellow sauce in my opinion which was a little non-descript if I'm honest - not really a hollandaise but maybe a mayonnaise?) and the Monkeyboy went for Tuna & Seabass Carpaccio (Tuna was lovely but not much flavour to the seabass and this did appear to be sprinkled with dried oregano which was a little odd).

We both opted for spicy imperial shrimp with seven (?) sauces. This was served with a slightly curried sauce, amongst others and with a small bowl of rice, and couple of pieces of tiny turned courgette. I wish in some ways I'd asked the waiter to recommend a couple of dishes as the other plates that came out looked really nice, and I think we could have made better ordering decisions.

It did feel like a special occasion just being there and I have to say despite our food choices I really enjoyed it. At the end of our evening a table of American's walked in, and sat in a semi-private table just behind us. When I looked I recognised Don Johnson of Miami Vice fame, and can only say that I was quite excited to have seen such a well known actor and even the MB (who is not phased by actors at all) was just a little bit star-struck. Got the impression that this is a well-frequented and well-respected place and would def recommend for a visit if this type of food is your thing.

• Visited September 2012