“Best avoided! Tourist trap!”

Trattoria Da Gianni
Ranked #688 of 1,460 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cannaregio
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My experience in this restaurant was horrible. The staff is not kind and very unprofessional. When I asked the cheese the waiter very aggressively added that "the cheese comes to the table alone, I shouldn't have asked". I asked red meat and the meat was white (???). Tasteless smashes potatoes. They charged the bread even though we hadn't eaten. I wish I had the words to describe how I disliked the place. The bill was extremely expensive. With all the wonderful cuisine Venice offers, I am not sure how this place could be open. Avoid at all costs (better eat at McDonald's!).

There are newer reviews for Trattoria Da Gianni

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The staff were very arrogant and sexist towards women customers. I also witnessed a waiter go out of his way to help a German couple. About 30 mins later after the couple left the same waiter pretended not to understand another German couple who complained about their meal. Portions were small and service indifferent.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

... ii.e. never eat at tourist traps on a main thoroughfare has proved once again correct.
I would never have stopped there, but I was not in charge this time.
The entire staff is from some Arabic country, the service is not professional (they openly blamed us for ordering only one course - it was a very late lunch at 3 pm and the place was empty), the quality/price ratio is very poor.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

After a long walk around the narrow streets of the old city, me and my lovely girlfriend we found this place not far from Ponte di Rialto. We were glad to sit near the window on the street and the candlelight made our stay more confortable and romantic, I can say this is Venezia's way.
The menu was traditional and prices weren't higher than we expected. "Arabian" ( waiters are from Egypt and Jordan) staff is gentle and very quick. They were very friendly and when they understood I could speak their language we spent short time speaking about Arab and Italian way of life.
But let's talk about food: we took a fish antipasto and typical shrimps with polenta and a good sea fruits' risotto. The quality was quite good and so we liked the dinner. I would raccomend this place to whom is intrested in eating fish in Venice and spend not so much.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We required a late lunch, but the nearby target recommended restaurant was closed because of flooding. Da Gianni was one of few places open - and looked more appealing than its neighbours.

The food was not the best we have eaten in Venice - but was good for a tourist haunt. Seating was very cramped [We did not have luggage, but had competed in the Venice Urban Orienteering event, so were carrying sports bags.] We were slightly alarmed by the large open bowls of salad and part prepared vegetables, since our hotel owner had told us of the amount of cleaning up which was necessary after a high tide - and we judged that this restaurant had had insufficient time to perform a proper clean and get the kitchens fully functioning..