“Lorenzo is a fantastic host at this gem with great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ai Tagliapietra

Ai Tagliapietra
Ranked #51 of 466 Venice B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Lorenzo is a fantastic host at this gem with great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here in May 2011. Our first time in Venice and could not have picked a better place. The airline lost my husbands luggage and we were at a loss on how to get a new set of clothes for him on the budget the airline gave us. As you can imagine there are mainly designer shops in the main part of Venice. Lorenzo knew the best places to go for "normal" everyday clothes. The room we had was very clean and the bed comfortable. The chocolate scones in the morning were fantastic and my husband loved the blood orange juice! I really can't say enough about how wonderful this B&B is. Book early because the word is out!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cynthia N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I spent two nights here in early winter and was the only guest, as it was off season. The B&B is more like a flat than a hotel, since it has several rooms off a common living area/kitchen. My room was very quiet; the alley/courtyard outside the window has very little traffic. The B&B is not boutique hotel fancy, but my room was very clean and large and had a private bathroom in the hall, separated from the common area. I didn't take advantage of it, but hot tea was available at all times in the kitchen, and the rate includes a simple Italian breakfast (juice, coffee, rolls/pastries).

Lorenzo was as accommodating as all the other reviews indicate. He offered to pick me up at the vaporetto stop, but I couldn't figure out how to send international texts, so I ended up wandering around looking for the B&B (and actually finding it, but it has no sign, so I assumed I'd gotten the address wrong). Venetians must be used to people getting lost, because the friendly host at a nearby restaurant used his Italian cell phone to call Lorenzo, who then came and fetched me.

Lorenzo keeps the B&B stocked with guidebooks and maps that you can borrow; he is also available to answer any questions, but he won't pester you with recommendations if you don't want them. He did recommend a couple restaurants, and the one I tried was great - hidden in plain sight down an alley just steps away from Rialto Bridge, it was very good and reasonable and had more locals than tourists. In fact, it was incredibly easy to get away from the crowds by just turning down any quiet street/alley, where there are lovely local bars, restaurants and shops to be discovered - you might get lost, but it's an island, so you can't get too far!

2 Thank ElleinLA
Zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I can only repeat the positive comments by the other reviewers. I stayed for three nights and since it was off season, for the first two nights I was the only person at the lovely B&B, and so it was absolutely quiet. The only noise comes from people walking by in the little street. For noise sensitive people, ear plugs block that out too. Lorenzo is a wonderful host and thinks of everything, even printing my boarding pass for my return flight and borrowing me rubber boots during the acqua alta. His restaurant recommendations are good, especially Da Mamo. I can also recommend Al Mascaron, but ask which wines they have because I was not happy with the house wine. I would definitely stay at Al Tagliapietra again. The location and service are wonderful. Thank you Lorenzo, you are a gem!

3 Thank FrankieVercammen
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

What convinced me to stay at Ai Tagliapietra were all the gleaming reviews about the host, Lorenzo. Staying at his B&B only confirmed that everything that was said about him and his place were indeed true! Even before I got to Venice, he contacted me to make sure he'd meet me at San Zacarria the moment I get off the water bus. So even if I was traveling by myself, my anxieties were quelled because Lorenzo promptly met me at the water bus stop, helped me with my luggage as we made our way to through the labyrinthine streets of Venice. He also provided me very helpful tips on places to visit, yummy restos to try (right outside his door!) and helped me book (and get a good deal!) my train to Rome. Breakfast was simple but delicious. Loved the warm and flaky apricot-filled croissant and the two cups of espresso Lorenzo would always serve me in the morning - just the right combination to get me started on an enchanting experience of Venice!

Room Tip: get the room with ensuite toilet and bath. very spacious and private! it even has a small hallway fr...
2 Thank maskinano
Stevenage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We actually stayed at Lorenzo's little B&B for ten nights. We found it very clean and comfortable and location is absolutely excellent - 3 minutes from San Marco, 5 from the Rialto bridge with a waterbus stop just 2 minutes away at San Zaccharia. There is also a nice communal area where breakfast is served (photos below) and where we sometimes had lunch or dinner when worn out by sightseeing.

We arrived in the evening and were very grateful that Lorenzo met us at the waterbus stop and led us to the B&B.

The holiday was vastly improved by Lorenzo's suggestions and he probably saved us a lot of money by telling us what not to do. Lorenzo was always happy to talk and we learned a lot.

When we return to Venice we will not be looking to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank patcw
Carool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

This became our home away from home. The location is outstanding. Lorenzo was helpful , met us off our ferry stop and provided advice when needed. Use of a kitchen anytime of day is always great. A short walk to everything and lots of local shops and restaurants around. Laundromat close by if you need it - we did after two weeks of traveling .

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Coomalie
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

What a wonderful B&B with a wonderful host!! After our long flight and lost luggage, we were more than happy to make it here. Being tired and forlorn, we were SO happy to meet Lorenzo at the vaporetto stop and walk with him back to our room. In the morning, he had already spoken to the Air France people about our luggage and we were settling in to breakfast which he had prepared. We LOVED the blood orange juice!. Easily walked to many wonderful sites, grabbed lunch which we ate as we relaxed, saw more of the city, and ate dinner at the pizza place next door.
While in Venice, we saw the usual well known spots but also went to Murano and Burano Islands. A bit rainy but we took it in stride. Beautiful glassware in Murano and charming, brightly painted homes in Burano.
October was a great time to go - the weather was delightful. The 4 nights we spent at Ai Tagliapietra were a great start to our adventure in Italy. Lorenzo, as has been stated in EVERY review was a wonderful host and certainly was a focal point in a fantastic stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple