“Location, location, location.”

Hotel Palazzo Stern
Ranked #20 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Although it was my first trip to Venice I did not want to stay in one of the busier areas near St. Mark's or Rialto. Palazzo Stern was perfect. It is in a wonderful location right at a vaporetto stop, near the Guggenheim and Academia, and near great restaurants, a Grom, and artist shops and studios. It is an easy walk everywhere but having the boat stop just steps away is wonderful at night after a long day or in dicey weather. The outside patio is heavenly for breakfast, a cocktail or just to sit and watch the boats on the Grand Canal. The staff is warm and welcoming and very knowledgeable and helpful. This is not a typical grand hotel...our room was on the smaller side but comfy and clean with windows that opened and enormous charm...but has a Venetian quirkiness that made our stay very special. The full breakfast is a wonderful perk...I slept late one morning and the staff made a tray for me and accompanied my husband to our room so I would not miss breakfast. And, yes, Denis' Aperol spritzer is the very best. I love Palazzo Stern and will definitely return on my next trip to Venice.

Room Tip: The Canal views are lovely but the rooms facing the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Robertino3, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights in June 2014. The standards at this hotel are extremely high with excellent attention to detail. The building's exterior and interior is impressive.

Our bedroom was large tastefully decorated and well maintained and equipped. We were on the top floor in a spacious room with high beamed ceilings, electric blinds, air conditioned, good quality fresh ground coffee machine, well stocked mini bar and lots of wardrobe/cupboard space.

The bedroom and the bathroom were divided by a private lobby area adding to the feeling of space. The bathroom too was well maintained, a good size very pleasantly decorated with good facilities.

The outside terrace is pretty, comfortable, relaxing and overlooks the grand canal.

The breakfast was of a good standard and well presented and the hotel has a well stocked bar.

The service is excellent, all staff are very professional, efficient and welcoming. A special note of thanks to Denis.

The location is perfect, sitting on the grand canal in a quite and tranquil location away from the crowds yet in easy reach of all the main sites. The hotel is a few minutes walk from the Ponte de l'Accademia (7 minutes ). From here the Santa Maria and the fascinating art district are just 10 minutes stroll or st Marco across the bridge and within a comfortable walking distance ( 20 minutes or so). For easier transportation a water bus stop is a few meters away from the side entrance of the hotel, screened by the walled terraced area or if you prefer water taxi's from the hotel door step.

Such a lovely hotel.

Anne and James

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us!
I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice, have a great day!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in late May. The hotel is a gem, very special and unique. It feels very exclusive with its private boat slip and entrance. We had the best Aperol spritz of our lives on the terrace in the late afternoon. The hotel is very quiet and tranquil. Internet reception wasn't very fast in our room on the 3rd floor but this was a small issue. On the day of our departure there was a water bus strike in Venice but the hotel offered to take us by private water taxi (a stunning vessel!) to the train station at no charge. This was very generous. We will return for sure in future! Breakfast was excellent but the coffee needs to be stronger! Thank you to the kind staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adrianne P
Robertino3, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and the free ride in our private boat.
I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice, have a great day!

roberto

Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Stern for 3 nights in May 2014 which was part of my wifes 40th brithday present. Having had an unusual 7 hour flight delay we arrived late and very tired. The first room we were given was lovely but we wanted a view so politely requested this. The receptionist immediately moved us to a Junior Suite for the first night at no extra charge and then arranged a different room for the remaining two nights which had a balcony overlooking the canal, again at no extra charge. He then advised us of an area locally where we could eat late at night and the restaurant we went to was superb and very reasonably priced. Breakfast was very good and lovely to eat outside overlooking the canal (though we were lucky with perfect weather). The rooms we were in were perfectly clean and fresh and the staff couldn't do enough for us, responding to our every request with a smile. The location of the hotel is brilliant with very easy access to the rest of venice whether you choose the public taxi or hire one privately. All in all, faultless, thank you for being so welcoming and making our short stay so memorable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Once again a really good 7 night stay at the Palazzo Stern.
We chose to stay there again because our last stay was great and it's location is easy to get anywhere.
The staff are friendly and helpful and Dennis with one N "which he pointed out" was a laugh and the thing is ,he didn't mean to be.( bless him.)
I've just read in another review that the hotel had a complementary boat to those who booked directly with the hotel ? Well if they have, it wasn't pointed out to us at the time and it would have been very helpful.
We thought we would take a bit of time out from Venice and had a day trip to lake Garda and we were offered a drink and a bite to eat before breakfast.(Which was nice)
We can't recommend this Hotel enough. Great Hotel in a great location.
Well Done Palazzo Stern.

Room Tip: Don.t book a standard loft room. Go for a Deluxe Room at the rear of the hotel. Sometimes you can he...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay!
I confirm you that we have a private boat free of charge for the guests who book directly with us. The service is limited and unfortunately we are not allowed to go everywhere, but we are usually able to fit the needs of the most.
I'm sorry if you were not aware of this service, I'm sure you will have the chance to use it during your next stay here!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We loved this place on the Grand Canal. Watching the vaporetti etc with our morning coffee was a special treat, also late afternoons with a nice drink. A lovely boutique hotel, the rooms were great, and the service was special. Location is perfect.
A wonderful romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Suites are the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcome you again here at Palazzo Stern.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed May 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Stern for several days in early March. We're American academics in our early sixties. We've stayed near San Marco before and we prefer Dorsoduro. The location is particularly good if you are interested in the Guggenheim or the Academia. The Stern is a beautiful, small hotel on the Grand Canal. Our lovely and comfortable room was in the back, looking along a side canal, and on a upper floor. The hotel service was very good and professional. Breakfast was excellent. The bar and patio are very comfortable and beautiful places to relax. Dennis, the bartender, has some great specialty drinks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very nice review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcome you again here in Venice.