“Very good hotel”

Hotel Palazzo Stern
Ranked #21 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Palazzo Stern. This is a beautiful characterful hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room (404) was enormous with a view over the Grand Canal. The only reasons why this is not a 5* review are the breakfast (which was entirely adequate but nothing special) and the bathroom while having a fantastic spa bath only had a hand held shower attachment - not ideal if you want to wash your hair/have a quick shower.

1  Thank CliveLev
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Buongiorno!

I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We actually have many Junior Suite with both walk-in shower and bathtub. If for you this is an not-to-be-missed service you just have to ask and we will change your room!

This is a very important point that I always try to highlight: double check your reservation with us in advance, doesn't matter if you booked your stay directly with us or with a tour operator. The only way we have to accomplish your request is to know them in advance.

Thanks a lot for your review, I hope to have you here again soon.

Warmest regards!

Roberto

Write a ReviewReviews (1,771)

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend at the beginning of March having seen the excellent reviews on Trip Adviser. We cannot fault the hotel in any way, location is excellent, very close to a waterbus stop on the Grand Canal. The hotel is located in a relatively quiet part of the city, with everything you need within walking distance or a short waterbus ride away. The hotel itself is simply beautiful, the decor is amazing and the staff are polite and helpful. It was too cold to sit out on the terrace looking over the Grand Canal but this would be a great spot to have breakfast in the Summer. A session in the hot tub on the roof watching the sunset is not to be missed!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a view over the Grand Canal, rooms at the back look out over th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Buongiorno!

Thank a lot for your very kind review.
I'm very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to have you here again soon.
Have a great day!

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We just returned from Italy (4/28/12). The Palazzo Stern is a fantastic place to stay. It's right on the canal with a water stop right there so very convenient to get around. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated. The staff was wonderful and friendly. They went out of their way to help me out the first night when one of my contacts went down the drain. They were able to take the pipe below the sink apart and worked and worked till we found the contact. I can't thank them enough for that. We enjoyed the breakfast each morning; they offered quite a variety, so we never left feeling deprived. We enjoyed sitting out on the patio and watching the bustling canal! I just can't say enough about this place; whenever we return to Venice, we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Buongiorno!

Thanks a lot for this very kind review.
I'm very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I look forward to have you here again soon, have a great day!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at the Palazzo Stern and had a wonderful experience. Staff was extremely accommodating with making local dinner reservations for us as well as providing directions for getting around. Room was more spacious than expected, especially for European standards. The high ceiling really made the room feel open. We were able to walk to all the major tourist spots (Rialto Bridge, St. Mark's) with little trouble. Vaporetto stop right outside was extremely convenient, and we didn't have any issues with noise. While breakfast would be a little light for American standards, there were eggs, pastries, cheese, etc and more than enough to fill up in the morning.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Buongiorno!

Thank you for your very kind review.
I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to have you here again soon.

Warmest regards!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Palazzo Stern is definitely a magnificent place in perfect symbiosis with the spirit of Venezia - as mentioned by other reviews, the place is beautifully restored, rooms are pertectly appointed, the terrace over the Grand Canal is very enjoyable. In addition, the byzantine chapel is clearly moving for people like us fond of the history of this very old city.

However, the overall experience does not match this beautiful setting - Breakfast is highly disappointing for a place of such a standing and across our various trips in Italy (a country that we deeply love) we have encountered much more friendly staff (we did not have any issue at Palazzo Stern but just as a matter of comparison with other comparable places in terms of standing).

Still, a very nice place when visiting Venezia.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Buongiorno!

Thanks a lot for your very kind review.
Could you be more specific about the issue with the breakfast?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed here four years ago with our children. We had a fabulous time then! We decided to return to Venice this past Spring and there was no question in our minds where we would stay. Palazzo Stern is so lovely. We loved our room overlooking the Grand Canal. Our room was beautiful with large windows that we could throw open to watch and listen to the activity of the canal. Breakfast each day was delicious and we enjoyed sitting out on the patio waterside. Everywhere was easily accesible by foot or you could take the vaparetto whose stop was right outside our front door. Our favourite pastime.....gelato each evening from Grom Gelateria just steps from the hotel :) Do not miss this gem when visiting Venice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BDALamb
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Buongiorno!

Thanks a lot for your very kind review, I'm happy you enjoyed also your second stay with us!
I hope to have you here soon for the third time, have a great day!

Reviewed April 25, 2012

This was my second stay at the Palazzo Stern, and when staying in Venice I couldn’t even think of choosing another hotel. It is the best quality and price rate in entire Italy! This is why I still would like to keep this address private (afraid there won’t be any room left next time I’ll want to book!).
This hotel should be voted best location in town. Not only is it in the heart of everything but it is a quite place. The Vaporetto stop by the hotel makes it convenient for arrival and departure but mostly to hop in and out whenever you need to take a bit of rest, change clothes or shoes. The fact that nobody walks in front of the hotel makes it really quite compared to the rest of the city (I already stayed at the Londra Palace during very low season and still it was very noisy). The Dorsoduro is a wonderful neighborhood to take a walk a bit aside from the hordes of tourists you bump into around the San Marco place.
Hotel was equally nice and welcoming as the first time. It is a little architectural jewel. Staff is really great from the concierges to the Philippino servers. The breakfast buffet keeps its quality.
The concierge advised us some good restaurants around: Osteria San Barnaba and Ostaria Do Farai, both great for their seafood and pasta and typically Venetian cuisine.
Room was overlooking the garden. It was good. You must know that if you choose to have a view over the Canal Grande you’ll have noise from the traffic and the Vaporettos. If you want to be quiet you ask for a room at he back or on the sides of the hotel. Then you nearly won’t have noise coming from the outside. Inside the hotel you’ll only get noise depending of your neighbors. Some people are quieter than other. Floors are wooden.

Aside from that, some tips about Venice. The food and Florian can be skipped. I just go there for their coffees. I was disappointed with the Harry’s Bar: No décor, tiny, noisy and terribly overpriced. The Danieli seems really worn out so I don’t know what their rooms might look like but when I thought the same about the Gritti they soon closed it for total renovation. I also checked the Hilton Moulino Stuckey, which might appear relatively quiet on the Giudecca but it’s not as conveniently located as the Palazzo Stern as the Vaporetto trips are longer to get to San Marco. The hotel seemed a bit cold and basic to me. Their famous last floor bar was very minimal and cold : like concrete ground, a few chairs and tables.

Room Tip: If you don't want to have people walking over your head ask for a room on the last floor, but th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lipi5star
Robertino3, Manager at Hotel Palazzo Stern, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

What a great review!!!

Thanks a lot for the very kind words, I'm very happy to know that you like so much our property.

I look forward to welcome you for your next visit. Have a great day!