“could not fault the service”
Review of Ca' Sagredo Hotel

Ca' Sagredo Hotel
Ranked #41 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed May 6, 2014

the hotel is lovely ,there are so many things to photograph just in the hotel.the food in the restuarant was of a very high standard and the service faultless. we read other comments about how unfriendly the staff were but we found when you speak to people politely you get helpful friendly service very 5 star,we would not hesitate to return

1  Thank Sandra A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is a good hotel, nicely situated on the Grand Canal. I purchased a package from LL, which included “Welcome cocktails and canapés” served on the terrace. We each had a glass of Prosecco and were served a bowl of crackers which can only be described as human doggie cookies as our ‘canapés”. When I complained that they were inedible, they brought us a nice bowl of potato chips (canapés??). Our room was nice, and although categorized as a Sagredo Junior Suite, it was a bit like a basement suite with 1 small, high window overlooking roof-tops. The suite’s salvation however was a roof top deck, the only one I believe at the hotel. This was spectacular, and viewed all of Venice, the canals, etc.
The breakfast was average, displaying cheap plastic container yogurt. The fruit was nice, and there was a very small selection of cold meat and cheese. The hot entrees were unpalatable. The lobby is unremarkable for a Palazzo, but despite previous reviews criticizing staff we found them helpful and polite. We ordered a bucket of ice one afternoon, it never materialized. The internet was 50/50, and we often tapped into the internet from the adjacent hotel to check our email, etc. The common spaces, while lovely, are unused and largely empty. I have been to Venice twice now, and would not return to either hotel, as I was unimpressed in this impressive city. I am aware that Venice is expensive, and rightly so, however do not believe this hotel, which I can describe as Good and Nice, is worth the $$$.

The hotel is well situated, and you can walk to the Vaporetto stop for best Burano / Murano access within 5 minutes, the Rialto Bridge and even St. Marks Square (further, of course). The bathroom was functional, the bed very comfortable, although the room was hot and we slept with the window and door to roof balcony wide open.

Room Tip: Try another hotel?
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The location, the architecture, the palace, makes you feel like a prince. But when you are a prince you deserve a great service. Here, you have everything but an immaculate service, in your room, in general. This is a shame for a place like this. I had a wonderful suite, maybe the best one, but the lack of service, like an immaculate bathroom, change of bath soap, no glasses in the bar, ....... was a bit awkward in this kind of 5 stars hotel, even if the Italian rating is by far different than the US or the French.
But I had a Tiepolo above my head in the breakfast room !

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Fpny
HotelCaSagredo, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Ca' Sagredo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear Guest,
we thank you for your stay at Ca’ Sagredo and we would like to remind you that we did an upgrade, as you booked a Sagredo Junior Suite and you stayed in one of our top Historical Suite: the Sebastiano Ricci Suite with stucco works dated 17th and 18th Century.
We regret to inform you that the bathroom of your room was redone six months ago. Concerning the glasses we do apologize if you did not had enough glasses in the minibar.
We really think the Italian rating is not below the US or French rating, and we do not agree are”far different” from other ratings. You had not only a Tiepolo in the breakfast room but a Sebastiano Ricci on your ceiling bedroom, a Giambattista Tiepolo and a Nicolò Bambini in your breakfast rooms, and other important artists such as Andrea Urbani, Diziani, Pietro Longhi in the Noble Floor.
We also recalled for the document you forgot at the lobby and we promptly provided to send it to you … but this part of the service you probably forgot.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I do love it when I luck out on a business trip! I stayed at Ca Sagredo for 2 nights right before Easter. I was happily upgraded to a large 1st floor Junior Suite (#104), overhanging the Grand Canal and wouldn't hesitate to return. The room was smart and elegant in that slightly outmoded way that somehow in Venice that doesn't matter; it simply adds to the charm.

The bed (which I think was twins zipped together, but with a barely noticeable join) was uber-comfortable, with nice linen. I also liked the wooden floors and the terrific blackout curtains. The enormous marble-tiled shower room was blessed with a good shower (with properly labelled hot & cold controls!) and lots of space to put my stuff.

Every staff member I encountered was absolutely delightful, charming and helpful, particularly at the front desk. My Italian is rubbish; their English was great. The hotel's common parts are grand and historic, rather than cosy (like, say, the Gritti Palace) - but that was fine with me.

The hotel location in lovely Canaregio is fantastic. It's right beside the Ca d'Oro vaporetto stop (the #1 vaporetto is very useful and seems to run all night) as well as a gondola station. So a grand frontage, but with a quirky little street running parallel at the back, full of market stalls, fabric shops and fabulous bacari (a bit like Spanish tapas bars).

Sadly I can't comment on the hotel's own food as didn't even manage to eat a breakfast in the hotel, although the breakfast room does look unbelievably beautiful (in-room breakfast also available). However, walking back in after a casual supper on my first night, I was delighted to see that the hotel restaurant was still serving delicous-looking food at 10.30pm. There is a lovely canal-front terrace where I whiled away a couple of hours with some friends earlier the same evening.

WATCH OUT!

There's another Ca Sagredo on here that appears to be a B&B not on the Grand Canal. Some of the reviews are in the wrong place. Don't book the wrong one!

Room Tip: My room was directly above the gondola station. Since my body clock was on Dubai time I didn't m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank DanielleNay
Reviewed April 18, 2014

One could spend thousands of dollars a night at some of the star-studded Venetian palaces and be surrounded by thousands of tourists in Plaza San Marco as you step outside. Or you can spend half as much and stay just minutes away in the relative quiet surrounding Ca'Sagredo, a National Monument and a hotel/art museum all rolled into one incomparable experience. We were celebrating a special wedding anniversary and so splurged for a Grand Canal room ... only to have management upgrade us to the amazing Library Suite. Despite this incredible surrounding, we saw the same finesse and expertise shown to all guests. The food, service, accommodations and artwork galore make Ca 'Sagredo truly an experience with few equals anywhere in the world. The breakfast buffet is a don't miss event and dinner in L'Alcova is also blissful. One of the most noteworthy elements of the service here is that things happen almost invisibly, just as great service should. Ask for something the first day and it reappears for every one of the next four days without another word said. You never see the housekeeping service yet things are always perfectly cleaned and adjusted. Imagine an Italian version of Downton Abbey - that's how I'll always think of Ca'Sagredo.

Room Tip: Grand Canal views are majestic. If you can manage it, get the Library Suite with soaring 25 foot ce...
1  Thank BryanSil
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed here with teenage children.

+ points
Yes - it is a Palace - beautiful main rooms and a glorious staircase
Sitting on their terrace watching the Grand canal
The piano player in the evening - kept at it with good humour and talent - often to a very sparse audience
Mainly very obliging staff but see below
Location of the hotel - easy reach of main sites but away from the madness - excellent for gondolas / transport - vicinity low key and nice

- points
no other families - mainly older couples or loved up younger couples - I don't recommend for families
one member of the reception team was awkward - do not think he was trying to be unfriendly - just came across as off ish - in contrast to his female colleague who was excellent
Breakfast - lots of whispering in a room that should have been lovely but was somehow dingy - excruciating! service was friendly tho.
No natural area in the hotel to sit and relax - the bar was very small with only two comfy sofas - got over crowded -
rooms on top floor were quite small and suite quirky
expensive

I think there are better hotels in Venice for the money
Lack of a top quality area to relax in during the day / evening is a big missing
I would not say don't go but would not return personally

Room Tip: There are signature riooms - probably very expensive - watch out for suites that are cobbled togethe...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Timfromsussex
HotelCaSagredo, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Ca' Sagredo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Guest,
we receive your personal note of your stay at Ca’ Sagredo and we thank you to highlight such as key points we have: the beautiful main rooms, the glorious staircase, the Grand Canal terrace, the live piano music in the evenings and other key points. Concerning your comment please note that our hotel is a family-friendly hotel and we warmly welcome families. Of course Venice is one of the most romantic destination and therefore there are many more young couples than “old couples”. Our receptionists are with us since many years and we trust this comment “awkward” is your very personal comment. Our breakfast rooms and the nearest Historical rooms are frescoed by Giampattista Tiepolo, Nicolò Bambini, Gaspare Diziani, Jacopo Amigoni so the comment that it “was somehow dingy“ is again just your personal opinion.
The hotel is a National Monument so our interest is to preserve the original areas as they are: natural area to relax are the Amigoni Hall, our bar, the Hotel Lobby and there are sofas located also in our Portego Hall. Our hotel rooms on top floor are elegant double rooms, tastefully decorated, with a suitable size for a double occupancy.
Our kind regards,
Guest Relations
Ca' Sagredo Hotel

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have just arrived home after spending our 30th wedding anniversary in your hotel. We arrived by water taxi, what an entrance that was. I felt like royalty. However there was a problem for one night and were moved to a suite of rooms in the hotel next door. The following day we were moved back into room 309. Everything was perfect with both hotels and because of the booking upset we had an upgrade. Please thank all of your staff for the way we were looked after. You have a lovely place to work in and what a history. We had an excellent break and have explored every nook and cranny of Venice. A truly magical break.
The room was exceptionally clean and towels changed twice a day and the bed was turned down each evening. I wish I was still looking at that view that was ever changing with the boat traffic. I row and was delighted to see a number of rowing boats row passed on Sunday morning. Thanks again we have many happy memories.
There is plenty to do and see on the doorstep. Shopping good too. A really great place to stay.

1  Thank Greer L