“Simple but good place apart from the huzzle”
Review of Oceano Mare B&B

Oceano Mare B&B
Ranked #60 of 469 Venice B&B and Inns
Cologne, Germany
“Simple but good place apart from the huzzle”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Venice is one of our favorite cities in Europe, so we have been in Venice plenty of times and we now a lot of the city. Now we tried out a B&B and we were really happy with our choice. Nicolas Oceano Mare is located in a calm, not famous, but for us - lovely quarter. It is not so easy to find, even when you arrive in the night. So Nicola was so helpful and guided us trough the narrow streets to the B&B. The rooms are simple, clean, the bed is comfortably. Because it is so quiet, you can leave the windows open. Only in the morning you can hear the bells of the church round the corner and the swallows - which we like!
Breakfast was good, for everybody who loves sweets: wide range of cakes, but also cheese, fresh bread, coffee, juices.. Nicola is a very hospitable and nice landlord. We will come again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Taormina08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I don't normally write tripadvisor reviews, I probably should more often since I rely on them heavily. I went out of my way to write up my experience at Oceano Mare; it was that good. My parents and I traveled to Venice and stayed at Nicola's place. An utterly charming experience. Nicola inherited the house from his grandfather and decided to pack up and leave his native Sicily to operate a Bed and Breakfast. And we're all better for it. The location is a short, 10-15 minute walk to Saint Mark's Basilica but in a quiet neighborhood. The rooms are clean and straightforward with free wi-fi access and all the necessities. Nicola's service is outstanding, he really makes the experience. He's a soft-spoken but very friendly host who has loads of helpful tips for getting around Venice. He'll greet you as you get off the water taxis and help take your luggage into his bed and breakfast. In the morning, he'll prepare a nice breakfast before helping you get back to wherever you're going next.

I enthusiastically give this place five stars and would go back any time. If you're looking for a classic B&B experience at a reasonable price, Oceano Mare is what you're looking for.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Everything about Oceano Mare has already been covered by other reviewers. It was recommended to us by friends who had stayed and it lived up to our expectations.Nicola met us as arranged at the Arsenale vaporetto station and guided us through a maze of alleys and canals to his B&B. We had booked a double room and a twin bedded room as there were three of us, but Nicola gave us the whole of the first floor to ourselves, consisting of a twin ensuite and a double and single room sharing bathroom. As three older ladies travelling together, it meant we had a room each. There is an upper floor which has the same arrangement. Nicola gave us all the information we needed to make our stay in Venice most memorable and his kindness and enthusiasm was remarkable. He really did make our holiday special. The house is in a quiet area away from the bustle, but fifteen minutes stroll from St Mark's. It is small and not suitable for disabled, due to two flights of stairs, but the rooms are clean and simply furnished and the complimentary continental breakfast is most generous. It is a modest, unassuming little B&B, with a most attentive owner and we three ladies highly recommend it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scotmusik
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I must say, that after deciding to visit Venice and buying my train ticket online, I had a ""What was I thinking, I don't speak Italian!" moment of anxiety. I then started researching hotels, and hit the jackpot when I found this B&B with Nicola, who spoke English and recommended restaurants and attractions. I booked Oceano Mare for 3 nights for my husband and me and our college-aged daughter and we had the triple room which was very comfortable for us. Our room was super clean, and the hardwood floors were beautiful.

Nicola emailed us the confirmation and offered to meet us at the Vaporetta stop. He is the consummate host. Breakfast and coffee were wonderful. Nicola recommended restaurants, where we were the only ones speaking English, the food was great and the rate was reasonable, and when we dropped his name at the restaurants, we received 10% discounts or free desserts. Located in a charming residential area, it is walkable to everything.

Nicola really took care of us, and his love of Venice rubbed off on us! We now have a friend in Venice and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The triple room is two bedrooms and a bathroom. Ample space and privacy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
los angeles
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Nicola made our visit very welcoming. We got off on the wrong vaporetto stop and he came all the way to get us and move our luggage over 8 bridges. Then got us settled and took lots of time to tell us where to go first and what to do later. He has a nice sense of humor and kindness that comes through every time he greets you. I wouldn't hesitate to come back. The rooms were lovely, clean, spacious and the WiFi worked all the time, all important when you are far from home.
Thank you for a great, quite place to hang my hat while in Venice.

Room Tip: Get the room over the street, sling open your shutters and listen to the bells peal at the church ac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank susanwiens
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 11, 2012

For us, the best thing about Oceano Mare is Nicola. Take the time to listen to Nicola, and you'll learn more about Venice and Italy than you ever could from books. For me, he provided the best moments of our trip. Location of his B&B is challenging at first, so thanks, Nicola, for meeting us at the Vaparetto stop. Oceano Mare is located back in a residential neighborhood that shows you the real Venice. Close enough to the major attractions, but far enough away to add another experience to your visit. The room and facility is very modern, area was quiet, and we appreciated the a/c. Steep stairs to the rooms, yes, but that's probably common. Breakfasts were fine, really appreciate the coffee machine. Nicola was perfect in his communications, patient in answering our questions, and his housekeeping staff is quite hard-working. Cleanliness exceeded our personal standards. Nicola was even kind enough to phone ahead for us to make future dinner reservations in Cinque Terra, something that would have otherwise been difficult or expensive for us to do. Of the two trattorias Nicola recommended, we really liked Al Vecio Portal. Went back a second time. (Our waiter, discovering that I was unfamiliar with grappa, made sure I left that first meal knowing it well. What an evil man!) As you can tell, Nicola and the property's location really enhanced our time in Venice. We'd love to return, as many people do, it appears.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheBeav49
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed in Venice for 3 days from 9/20 to 9/23/12. This was my first experience staying at a B&B so I didn't know what to expect. Now I can only say "Wow!" and I am sure the difference is Nicola. He just made us feel at home. From picking us up at the Arsenal stop to all the detailed attention and care he put into making our stay as pleasant as it could be. I have not met any other hosts like him. If you are concerned about the location, don't be. It is only 5 minutes walk to St. Marco. In fact, I am glad to picked this place because I don't think I can handle all the tourists around St. Marco. The direction seems a bit complicated but surprisingly, I did not get lost even once after Nicola showed me the way. Ask Nicola about the local restaurants because they are very good. Thanks Nicola for your hospitality. We will definitely stay at your place again next time we visit Venice. - Jenny

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple