“Best all around in Venice!”
Review of B&B San Marco

B&B San Marco
Ranked #15 of 225 Specialty Lodging in Venice
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I would recommend B&B San Marco without reservation. I've just returned home and already ready to go back! The B&B is comfortable, charming, and convenient. The rooms are big and very clean; the antique furniture and eclectic artworks are gorgeous; the location is just minutes away from San Marco, the Arsenale, and the Giardini. It's the perfect place to stay, especially if you are visiting the Biennale. Alice and Marco are also extremely helpful and accommodating, making recommendations on what to see, how to get there, and where to eat. They make you truly feel "at home." I stayed in the Nonni room, I think, which does not have a balcony but does have a bathroom. The views out the window were excellent, though! The breakfast is also delicious---yogurts, croissants, and other pastries plus espresso, cappuccino, juice, and tea. I'm not sure you could find another place in Venice that is equivalent in quality and price. Book now!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are great. Depends on how much space you need or whether you prefer an ensuite...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for B&B San Marco

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed in the Genitori room for our honeymoon. Marco was a wonderful host, he gave us a map and gave us tips on where to go around town. The room was spacious, clean, and charming. We had a beautiful view of the canal from our balcony. We did have to share a bathroom but didn't run into any issues with that. The B&B is located in a quiet residential area, but had easy access to the sights and rest of town. There is also a nice neighborhood grocery store down the street from the B&B. We highly recommend this accommodation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Genitori room which had a balcony and a fabulous canal view. We did have to share...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a few days before Easter at Marco and Alice's Bed and Breakfast. Alice and Marco made us feel welcome and were always helpful, warm and considerate.
Within a few moments we felt completely at home. The quiet homely feel of the place eased us into the labyrinth that is Venice and we enjoyed every moment of our stay.

The room we stayed in, the Nonni, had a small and convenient en suite and beautiful tasteful furnishings. It was clean and cosy with a comfortable bed and overlooked a beautiful and quiet rio. The tranquility of our stay at the B & B was in perfect contrast to the bustling nearby piazza san marco with all the tourists arriving for Easter and we loved retreating 'home' at the end of a day of sightseeing and eating.

It was also delightful to be in a slightly more residential area of Venice, away from tourists and vendors with their carts selling masks and souvenirs.

We are definitely coming back! Highly recommended. Thank you Alice and Marco!

Room Tip: We stayed in the beautiful Nonni room which has it's own en suite. It is cosy, warm and inviting...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this B&B during Carnavale 2013. The location was superb, just behind the church of San Zaccaria, at the San Marco/Zaccaria traghetto stop. Marco, our host was lovely, guided is with places to see and go, and actually joined us at the table for breakfast. The room was well heated, the bed was comfortable and there was a cd player with some jazz cds for our enjoyment.
Strolling the back streets of Venice gave us a chance to see the Venetians all costumed for Carnavale, a fantastic sight of colors, fabrics and characters.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

During October 2012, I spent 9 nights at B&B San Marco, which is sufficiently out of the main tourist drag to be quiet, but also well-located for good access to many of Venice's finest sights. In fact, my Michelin Green Guide gave the Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, 3 stars -Worth A Trip- but after finally locating it on the map, rarely easy in Venice, I realised it was the building I could see directly across the canal, a mere stone's throw away. Actually, it was so close I probably could have got there with a half-brick, but let's not split hairs. This Scuola houses a handful of the finest Carpaccio's in Venice and has very few tourists visiting. A small gem.
The B&B is tastefully decorated and homey, as that is what it is, which means that you have the fine hospitality of Marco and Alice and their lovely toddler. They are well-educated and down-to-earth folks who make you feel welcome without over-fussing. They seem to speak any language necessary and have excellent tips on where to eat.
While probably not suited for those who usually prefer a multi-starred hotel, or are averse to climbing a few flights of stairs or sharing a bathroom, for charm, hospitality, location and even a canal view, this a a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BaronVonCount
Reviewed November 12, 2012

An absolutely lovely bed and breakfast based within minutes of San Zaccharia square, San Marco's square and your boat 'stations'. Your hosts Alice and Marco are very welcoming and informative. We were a group of 3 ladies that stayed there and would happily stay there. The rooms look over one of the canals with all it's Venetian charm. A wonderful stay thank you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at B&B San Marco for 3 nights in June/July. The view from the rooms is absolutely amazing...everything you imagine Venice is. The location is great... away from the milions of tourists but only a short (8 min walk to St. Mark's Square). Alice and Marco were vacationing when we visited, so we only met Alice upon arrival. She was very welcoming and helpful. She gave us a map and tips on restaruants. We booked the Marco room, and I was nervous to share a bath (I have never done that before). Besides the minor inconvience of having to carry my stuff back and forth, the shared bath was not an issue at all! As it was very hot and humid, I do wish the room had AC, but never the less we spent most of our time outside anyway and AC in the room was irrelevant. My only regret is not staying in Venice for longer than 3 days! For a small island there is so much to do! Without a doubt, I will be staying here on my next visit to Venice!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple