“Loved this hotel!”

Ranked #60 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Centralia, Washington
“Loved this hotel!”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Loved this hotel! Spent 3 nights here with my 71 year old mom & my 2 kids in a Family room, and it was perfect. The rooms were decorated in old style Venetian charm, but were very comfortable with modern conveniences. We had 4 separate beds in one room, a very clean and spacious bathroom, air-conditioning, refrigerator, wardrobe, and table & chair - all with room left over for our massive amounts of luggage!

I initially chose this hotel because it did have a Family Room at a reasonable price, and it had a private water landing. I have to say, that with our particular group, it was definitely worth the extra money to hire a private water taxi to bring us directly to the hotel from the train station, instead of taking the public vaporetto. I would highly recommend this, especially if you are tired, have lots of luggage, or have never been to Venice. At first, the hotel seems hard to find, but after spending a little time in Venice, it's not hard at all.

The hotel turned out to have a very convenient location as well. Sometimes it's hard to tell on a map if things are really within walking distance or not, but the hotel was definitely within easy walking distance of St. Marks's Square, and the Rialto Bridge. When we were lost (which is easy and fun to do in Venice) we just used the Teatro La Fenice as a landmark, which is just around the corner from the hotel, and every local Venetian knew where that was.

The breakfast was plentiful, and had lots of choices. The staff was super friendly and accommodating.

Now that I have stayed at the Hotel Becher, I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Leighton Buzzard
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We spent four nights in Hotel Becher (pronounced Becker) and had a lovely time there. We did have trouble finding it, taking just over an hour to walk the distance from the waterbus instead of 15-20 minutes. It's near the Opera House, down a little alley. The two maps we bought before travelling and the images printed from the internet were pretty useless simply because they can't reproduce all the alleys and cut throughs.

Once we arrived, the welcome was warm and we were shown to a comfortable room. It wasn't the biggest of rooms but we didn't need any extra space. We had a canal view and were able to take in the Venetian atmosphere in the evening as the gondolas swept past, some with musicians and singers on board. The downside of being right on the canal was the motorboat noise at night and being woken up early in the morning by the water equivalent of delivery trucks and dustcarts being parked right outside.

The continental breakfast was adequate and the coffee was good. The staff were polite and friendly and happy to give very good advice on how to get the most from our trip without over spending the budget, eg don't buy a travel card - walk to most places as the distances are relatively short, or you will spend a lot of time queuing for the waterbuses.

In our opinion, the bed was too hard. I'm sure it would have been ok for someone else, but we do like a bit of soft support. The hotel, bed linen, towels etc were all kept beautifully clean.

Venice is a wonderful, fascinating and romantic place to visit. Hotel Becher served our needs well and was a good base to branch out from and see the sights.

sydney
Reviewed September 21, 2013

That's the name you need to know for this hotel,he is go to guy,came to the train station to meet us in a private boat,gives you the best places to eat,sights to see,makes everything so easy for you.he makes this wonderful little hotel excellent.

2 Thank zinzan66
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Booked this via expedia at $150 a night in September. Get a good map of Venice, I REPEAT GET A GOOD MAP. This place was two blocks away from the Valleresso water bus stop but i took me an hour of wondering and asking to find it. Easiest thing to remember is find the "Teatro La Fenice" if your lucky you will find a sign for it. When you find the the Teatro La Fenice there are 4 streets, find Calle Del Frutatiol and you're there. Do not google map or any GPA mapping app. It is not accurate in Venice.

To the hotel... Remember Venice is old and you should get the best out of it. Back in the US, yes i would like to stay in a clean updated hotel. Going to Europe, I want Europe. The reason for the higher rates for smaller rooms is location. It is no more than a 5 minute walk to either the Rialto or San Marco. I made the mistake of requesting a canal view (be careful what you wish for) They gave me 1st floor canal view (room 102). At night before bed it is amazing to listen to the accordion and gondola singers, but throughout the night water taxi and their motor will come vvrrruming by your window. I did not mind too much but you should know. It is a little moist and damp in the room.

I had a toilet/shower unit and funny thing is the shower head for the bidet had a better water flow than the actual shower.

The key to my room was your electronic card, but I had a lot of problems opening my door. It would take me several attempts before it works. Then the same key must be used for the lights and the key must stay in the reader. At times the card would go offline and I would be in the dark.

Breakfast was great and included, nothing much going on the lobby. The hotel has its own canal dock, nice place to have a coffee or tea. WI-fi is good as well. I slept like a stone on the bed. Yes decor is old and fitting, but I thought it was just ugly.

(for first timers to Italy) Staff might seem like they don't care and have a bad attitude, but they do care. Be pleasant, say bonjouno, and they will help you out with whatever you need. You will not get the forcted, fake, "going out of your way" customer service that you get in the US.

I highly recommend staying here for the price and location for a first time traveler to Venice. Since I have seen all the major monuments and cultural sites of Venice. I do not believe I will return here because of the location. I like to in hotels near what I'm doing and seeing.

Also, a.c unit is a little whack. Blew cold air, does not know how to heat.

Staff is friendly, honest and helpful. left 1000 on my bed and the cleaned my room and left every single penny.

Room Tip: For ambience the first floor canal view (note: noisy, moist, and a little smelly if you have your wi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank EdwardVegas
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We chose this hotel for its' location and water taxi access. Having visited Venice several times before, I was concerned about the room size, but was delightfully surprised with the ample space. The room was tastefully appointed in classic Venetian style and was quite comfortable. Quality room amenities. Breakfast was lovely, with a nice variety of foods. The staff at Hotel Becher were fabulous: friendly, helpful and eager to make your stay a delight. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BonnieFaith
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Really helpful friendly staff. Arranged to move our room to a canal side view when became available. Excellent rooms, well decorated and clean, comfortable bed, and a good working shower.

If you wish to take breakfast outside by the canal, just speak with the reception staff, who will arrange it for you. Breakfast had a good varied selection of food and drinks and of a good quality.

Excellent central location to all the main attractions, and easy to get to from the Water Bus.

In all we had an extremely pleasant stay, and would most certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a Canal Side Room
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were more than pleased with the room at the hotel and the staff was wonderful particularly Ana and Masimmo. I lost my phone on the water taxi and Ana promptly called and it was returned the next day. The breakfast was very adequate and the helpfulness of everyone was a refreshing change to our travelling experience. I would strongly recommend a stay here. It is very conveniently located near St. Marks as well as many good restaurants but also very quiet and peaceful. The furnishings are very up to date but very reflective of Venice.

Room Tip: A great room is the superior double - Room 201