“Nice stay with Good Service”
Review of Hotel Becher

Hotel Becher
Ranked #56 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After a business trip to Europe, I decided to take some time off and take a trip to Italy. I booked a room at the Hotel Becher based on the price of a single room (great deal) and the Trip Advisors reviews. I made the right decision. My first recommendation is to take the water taxi to the hotel, I did not and it took a while to find the hotel and I was exhausted dragging my luggage around. I am told the water taxi is about 80 euro. If you do take the water bus instead, take the #2 Vaporetto to S. Marco Vallareso (the #2 is faster than the #1 because the #1 stops at all the stations). Walk up Calle Valleresso to the end and take a left and then a quick right onto Calle Frezzeria. Take this to the end (at one point it makes a sharp left turn). Take a right and a quick left onto Calle Barcaroli. Once you cross a canal the hotel will be on the right.

The single room was small, but I was only there to sleep. As mentioned the room was hot. My room was on the canal side and right next to the pathway. At night I opened the windows before going to bed, but needed to close the shutters and the window to block out the noise of the occasional water taxi and passersby.

The staff was extremely helpful. The overnight person (sorry forgot name) was very helpful in assisting with things to do as well as dinner plans. I would recommend reservations. On Saturday night as a solo traveler 3 places I went could not seat me due to bookings.

The hotel is also a 5-10 minute walk to both San Marco square and Rialto Bridge. I would definitely return as it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SCCam94

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed for two nights in the Hotel Becher and had a fabulous time. The hotel was right in the middle of the San Marco district - perfect for heading out in any direction and seeing all the sights. The hotel was beautifully furnished and our room (304) plenty big enough for three adults to stay in. The breakfast was good, although the breakfast room was on the small side. This would not put me off coming back again though- we couldn't have wished for a better hotel to explore Venice from; I would definitely return!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We spent 3 days in February in Venice and have chosen Becher Hotel because of all the recommendations on Tripadvisor. I have to say, these are absolutely not exaggerated, Becher Hotel is just brilliant. Even if we came during low season, price was incredibly low for Venice. Taking into account that this hotel is just 3 min walk away from Piazza San Marco and just around the corner from beautiful Teatro della Fenice, we were just flashed by its rooms, location and service!
We have had a room on the 2nd floor with a view on little channel. Room was very big and very well decorated. The entire hotel design is set in old Venice style, but it is not too much and looks sophisticated and elegant. Although the rooms are “made up” to be old, you can see from the entire appliance from bathroom to furniture and carpet – it is all new and just recently renovated. Our room had big and very comfortable bed, incredibly high ceiling, big sofa, and small table with a chair. As said all set up in beautiful dark-blue-gold Venetian style. Channel behind our window serves as a root for gondola rides, so that in the morning we could here serenades of gondolieri – very romantic.
Breakfast was absolutely sufficient with delicious coffee and amazing fresh and still warm pastries like fruit quiche or chocolate filled croissants. Direct to hotel entrance can be ordered water taxi, so that if you leave for airport or railway station, you won´t need to carry your luggage over all these bridges to traghetto station at Piazza San Marco. But water taxi is an expensive fun: to airport it will cost you appr. 110EUR, to train station 60EUR, while traghetto costs only 8EUR.
There are only 2 small things which slightly disturbed our stay, but they are not worth to deduct the points:
1. Breakfast room is very small with only 4 tables, therefore, either start your breakfast around 8am or shortly before 10am, otherwise you´ll have to wait up to 20min till you get a table.
2. It is pretty warm in the hotel; I think it has something to do with winter and humidity prevention in the building. So we had to open the windows in the room before going to bed for good 20min to get some fresh air and definitely didn’t need any blanket. But once you got some fresh air in the room you can sleep very comfortably.
All in all, Becher Hotel was a perfect choice for romantic getaway in Venice and we definitely will choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room on the 2nd floor with view on Channel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bambola_Bax
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Very warm welcome at this spotlessly clean and well decorated hotel. On arrival the front desk was very helpfully, providing us with detail map of Venice. Our room was small but well presented and ideal for our needs. The breakfast were outstanding with everything from fresh fruits to a wide selection of meats and cheeses. If I was to visit Venice again this is where I would stay.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Indypops
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We arrived by boat from the Bus station. It was only a 5 minute walk from Arsenale to this hotel. Situated between many cafes and little shops, it was very easy to find this place.
A very welcoming experience when we walked in. The hotel feels nice and cozy inside. Took the elevator to the third floor. Every room is named after a musician. The rooms are a good size, overlooking the lagoon, very Venetian. Very comfortable! The bathrooms are spacious and clean. The place is CLEAN!
Breakfast room was small and warm. Breakfast was nothing to talk about, but just sufficient to kick start your day.

The hotel is a very short walk to the St. Marks Square and everything else around Venice.

Overall, we were very satisfied with the hotel and will recommend it highly!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hassan R
Reviewed February 1, 2013

very nice and cozy with great view to the cannals!!!! excellent service and wonderful frree breakfast!!! We went as family with my two small children, we felt safe walking around late at night, walking distance to main atractions. The kids LOVED the gondolas and could see them from our room and hear the serenates... at same time all you do is close the windows and have peace and quiet in your room......LOVED it. great value as well

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 335lizzie2012335
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hotel Becher is a perfectly located, beautiful little hotel - you almost feel that you are staying in someone's own home. We stayed in room 201 which overlooked the narrow street and entrance. The decor was wonder, the bed pretty and comfy and the shower hot and powerful.
I loved the breakfast room which was small and intimate and overlooked the canal. A great selection of food from pastries, cheeses, ham, muffins, cereal, fruit, quiche and freshly made tea and coffee.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful too. I was sad to leave and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple