“Could be a lot better ...”
Review of Locanda Sant'Anna

Locanda Sant'Anna
Ranked #239 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Rome, Italy
“Could be a lot better ...”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The place is very clean and the position is quite convenient. Unfortunately it is hardly an "hotel", but more like a small pension. The worst thing was the bathroom: shower with hot water only and bidet not working at all.
110 euros per night on high season is kinf of cheap for Venice, but overpriced for what you get!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My previous visit was last November and solo. This time I visited in June, by which time i turisti were beginning to gather in numbers, and I was with my partner. We arrived in the early hours of the morning and I had forewarned Walter of this but we were later than anticipated. His greeting was as warm as if we had arrived just after mezzogiorno rather than mezzanotte and he offered us the choice of two rooms even at that late hour. My partner chose the more expensive room- inevitably-but the pay-off was that she was as enchanted with Locanda Sant'Anna as I had been on my previous visit and subsequently fell in love with the whole ambience of the area and especially the delights of Nuove Galeone (q.v.) and its food. Walter was kind enough to show us the other camere and we have booked another visit for later in the year where we will have the advantage of the superb views of San Pietro and the immediate vicino as well as the islands-bliss -by booking the camera with the view in two directions.
Are there any shortcomings at the locanda or is it perfect? No, it is not perfect and there are shortcomings. Having looked at other reviews I can see why some people were less than 100% satisfied. However, my own feeling is that the shortcomings are minimal and compared with the positives, it would be unkind to give them any prominence. The delightful lady who cleaned as well as provided breakfast did not always remember to replenish the shampoo sachets. Non fa niente; a request was always dealt with swiftly and with a good grace and a smile.There was a leak in the bathroom, but Walter had already organised un idraulico to fix it when we had vacated the camera.We have always stayed at 4star or, very occasionally, superior 3star hotels.This hotel, with its serenity and location, means that we will never again look for an alternative in Venice.
The fact is that the overall experience of having stayed here on two separate occasions is that I wanted to come back and my partner cannot wait to return.It may not suit everybody, but it has its own unique charm and I defy anyone to find better value for money in Venezia

Room Tip: We felt that the extra cost for the special view was easily justifiable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gi0vanni
Wales
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We visited Venice in May and stayed here for three nights. It is in a very good location, we had views of a canal and beautiful buildings and church opposite. It was an excellent price and we felt we had good value for money. The only reason I haven't given the review full marks was the shower room needed a makeover and a better shower fitting. Otherwise it was great!

Room Tip: a room with a canal view adds to the experience
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2012

/Users/elizabethdixon/Desktop/Hotel Sant'Anna Venice writeup copy word.pages

Hotel Sant’Anna Eastern Castello Venice

Dates visited: October 29 to November 7 2011

My daughter and I visited Venice this past fall and stayed at the Hotel Sant’Anna, recommended by a friend in Toronto, just off the eastern end of the Via Garibaldi. We were there to see the old Venice, and the new, namely the International Art Exhibit, the Biennale, hosted by Venice every 2 years on the odd year. The hotel’s location was ideal for the Biennale as it was situated between the 2 Biennale venues, the Arsenale, open to the public only during Biennale, and the Botanical Gardens, close to the lagoon.
Hotel Sant’Anna was pleasantly away from the rush and congestion of the Piazza San Marco, but within easy and delightful walking distance, about 20 minutes along the lagoon with all its wonderful views.
The vaporetto stops were conveniently located: at the western end of Via Garibaldi to the airport and the Grand Canal, and at the eastern end over the bridge to Isola St. Pietro and Murano and Burano. A taxi picked us up steps from the hotel on the smaller canal off the St Pietro Canal.
Many restaurants line the Via Garibaldi, as well as fresh fruit and fish sold from the boats a few feet from the hotel. We bought some good Veneto wine from a delightful little wine shop for 2.50 euros. We also used a grocery store and pharmacy.

The hotel is run by the family of owners, and Walter was always more than helpful and patient, no matter how busy. Directions, taxis, anything was not too much for him.
The breakfast served every morning, was more than adequate, croissants, yogurt, juice and delicious cappuccino or espresso.
Our room, small of course, being in Venice, where space is at a premium,
had a window looking out on a courtyard, a radiator for the damp when it rained,
and an adjoining bathroom with lots of hot water for the shower. It was very clean and the twin beds we had were very comfortable. The furniture was antique Venice, including night tables, a small desk, an armoire and chairs. The cleaning attendants were pleasant, flexible and thorough.
The hotel has larger rooms with a canal view, we booked a little late for them but my glimpse of one near us impressed me. There was also a pleasant lounge on the 2nd floor with a balcony overlooking the canal St.Pietro.

The only issue we had with the hotel was occasional difficulty with the courtyard door. There was a buzzer system to gain entrance but it was a little idiosyncratic. However, someone always came quickly to let us in, in person. We had keys for the main hotel door and often were late coming back, but always before the curfew . Venice closes down early so this was never an issue.

We would certainly stay at the Hotel Sant’Anna again as it suited our needs and pocketbook.

E.T.Dixon
Toronto Canada

Room Tip: see my review, would choose a canal room next time
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ETJToronto
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I chose this hotel for a visit on my own to visit the Biennale and to see a friend and because I was only going to spend 3 nights I was prepared for the ridiculously low price to be reflected in the quality of the hotel because it was a due patti from the Biennale. What a pleasant surprise!
Walter was so kind and helpful- he even booked my train reservation to Firenze - and the charm of the place completely captivated me.
You arrive at a corte and tucked in the far corner is a door with a small discreet sign. When you press the bell and are allowed in, you are entering an enchanted garden- a small beautiful courtyard with Wisteria and other bushes. The reception was very welcoming and set the tone for the whole stay.The breakfast is the normal continental style but I never left feeling hungry although I am normally a full English( or Scottish) breakfast man and the service was faultless. My room was small but for the price I paid, more than adequate. It was slightly inconvenient to have to go to the bathroom but not that difficult once one got into the habit. The location is wonderful. The area is like a discrete village separate from the centre of Venice but only 15 minutes walk from Piazza San Marco. There are several good ristoranti within 5 minutes walk and a whole selection of shops including banks and post office. The views from the hotel of the Canal and chiesa San Pietro are stunning.and next time I come with my partner , I shall book a room with a bathroom ( Walter was kind enough to show me round) and know that I have still got a bargain and an unique hotel that is completely different to any other that I have previously visited.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Gi0vanni
Yerevan, Armenia
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I would like to express my gratitude to St Anna hotel for their kind hospitality, where you can feel real Venetian atmosphere.
The hotel is really nice, furnished with old Venetian stile. The place is idyllic, because it is situated very near to St Marco square, and the same time far from touristic noise.
The staff is extremely kind and helpful, everything is very clean, breakfast is very fresh and nice.
I decided to myself that I am going to stay in this hotel every time I visit Venice, and I recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anna k
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 23, 2009

My wife and I (early 30's) found the hotel exactly as expected. It is a good value with friendly staff, family feel in a location with a easy walk or water taxi to the hot spots.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple