“peaceful, unique respite from crowds”

Palladio Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Chicago, Illinois
“peaceful, unique respite from crowds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Bauer Palladio is set directly across from one of the best canal views in Venice. It is a very quiet place, a perfect respite from the crowds in San marco area, especially if you venture back into their provencal-style gardens, with paths and lounge chairs. The breakfast is served back there, with birdsong and roses climbing the old convent walls. Very relaxing, but not the place to be if you want activity. (Take the water taxi or a pleasant 10-minute stroll down to the Hilton Stuckey and their rooftop bar if you want music and more people. There were also a few restaurants that are on the promenade for dinner or drinks, avoiding the overpriced and mediocre Harry's.) Breakfast was typical of the breads, eggs, fruits that we found throughout Italy. Our room was large and ample and a lovely bathroom with tub as well as shower. A candle was lit next to the tub on our first night, which was a nice touch. The free shuttle across the lagoon was every half hour, but doesn't start until around 10 a.m. and requires a little planning to get there for the prompt shuttle. The front desk were pleasant and everything conducted in a timely manner.

Room Tip: It was a lovely to have a canal view, but a view of the garden would have been tranquil.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank snorkel-luvin
BauerHotels, Resident Manager at Palladio Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing you experience at Palladio Hotel & Spa.
Delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you on another occasion.

Best regards,
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was at the Palladio in July for an anniversary for 2 nights. The property is magnificent, the room very nice and big. Problem is, the management is so poor I am forced to write this note - first time in my life as a very frequent business and leasure traveller. Three issues: 1) We were knocked at the door roughly 30 minutes before the checkout time. This is just non acceptable for me in any place, and for a 5 star is just embarassing 2) We asked to move our luggage to another hotel of the same chain, connected by a boat. Tee answer was no for "logistic issues". This I can understand (but still, how difficult can it be...) but the explanation was confused and generally unpolite, seemed like it was our problem to move the baggage, not the hotel's problem to solve our issue in a decent way, or just be polite enough to apologize for the lack of a quite simple service 3) Even worse, I first wrote to the management and copying in the Leading Hotels of the World customer service. Tee answer was painfully rude. The Manager stated he was there at our checkout (he was not, or if se, he did not intriduce himself, which was his duty, but left the management of our issue to a very untrained, and quite unpolite staff) taking care of the issue (he was not) and generally stating we were too sensible to these small inconveniences. He also stated the knocking happened by chance, and that was clearly not true, as it was done on porpuse - both me and my wife witnessed that. When we stated it, he just denied. I was fircely defending my position, as being said that I am lying is not exactly what I expect from a service manager, and got no further answers to my e-mail. So in short, great property, average breakfast in a beautiful place, good, confortable rooms. But do not expect any service, courtesy, good intention, respect. Venice is (in)famous for poor service, that's why we chose an international chained certified 5 star hotel. But eventually bad tradition was stronger, and we ended up unhappy and sad for this beautiful city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PTV51
BauerHotels, Manager at Palladio Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Sir,

I omitt of course for privacy reason your surname, and I report below entirely the e-mail I already written you privately:
thank you for your e-mail. All the observation can be useful for us to improve of level of service.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed our property and of course I am sorry to read your opinions about the service.
I was personally at the desk when you complained regarding the knoking at the door. As I tried to explain directly it is not our policy to disturb Guests before the check out time, moreover if the "Do not Disturb" sign has been placed; I remember clearly to apologise for the disguise, and I renew now the apologie, and to had told you that I would have investigated on the question. Actually I've done, it and it resulted that at that time, there was a colleague doing the cleaning services of the common spaces and he by chance hitted your door with the material he was using the clean the floor. That do not excuses us, it is any case a mistake for which I apologies again.

Regarding the luggage, unfortunately for pratical reasons, even if it seems rude, we do not allow to store the luggages of our Guests in the Bauer Palazzo storage room, as at the same time our colleagues of the sister property have also all the luggages of their Guests, and in period of very high occupancy there was no available space for storing extra luggages. Therefore we normally propose (as we have done with you) to agree on a timetable suitable for your needs to deliver your luggages at the San Mark dock.
In any case, I regret that your experience with us did not fulfill your expectation, I hope to welcome you again in the next future to the Bauer Palladio Hotel & Spa to let you feel the real services we provide.
I remain at your complete disposal.

I renew here my apologie, and reconfirm that I was the person you spoke to, even if I did not introduced myself as Resident Manager, as I thought at the time that it was not discriminating to manage your complaint.

I can only apologise again for the issue about the knoking of the door and regret that you don't belive my explanation; by trying to ratiocinate about it, there is not advantage for us to knok at a door one hour before the check out time, without asking anything else; therefore, by assuming that my colleagues did not gave me a correct explanation and there was an actual knoking at your door, that could only by explained as a mistake in the room number, without any second intent of "invinting" you to leave the room before your expected check out time.

I renew also my invitation and hope to welcome you again in the next future to the Bauer Palladio Hotel & Spa to let you feel the real services we provide.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Lovely location, quiet and secluded. Beautiful garden. Be careful of the rooms as some are very gloomy. We had to pay extra for a big room with a terrace, most do not have them. The restaurant is not something I would run to. It is dark and was always empty to our recollection The outside eating on the terrace was lovely but again empty except for breakfast which is typical buffet style ,with nice fresh orange juice some fresh fruits, but too many canned types,cheese, hams,scrabbled eggs and breads, in general a poor selection for high season Venice,more what you would expect from a three star hotel chain.
Very good boat shuttled to the mainland every 30 mins, that takes only 5 minutes.
Great shame as the location is terrific and this could be a real gem .Did not use the Spar unable to indicate this

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gilly220
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at Palladio Hotel & Spa.
Delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.
Your remark will be useful in order to improve our service.

We look forward to welcoming you on another occasion.

Best regards,
Saint Julian's, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

The Bauer Palladio Hotel & Spa is a beautiful hotel in the Giudecca area in Venice. It was once a convent which has subsequently been converted to a hotel. There are also some villas complete with butlers and fully bespoke services and regular ferry services to the Bauer Palace.

It is very green inside with ample room for walking and the rooms are relatively large and nicely decorated.

The hotel has 2 major problems. The first is structural in nature. The blinds that the hotel has installed let all the light in at dawn and if you plan on having late mornings, it would be recommendable to use blindfolds. The second problem is service, which clearly does not live up to the expectations that the prices you pay to go there make you believe you're bargaining for.

While having breakfast, for example, we had to wait for a place under the shade to free up and then after we got it, the butler of one of the villas moved the umbrella to cover the guests of one of the villas, who have breakfast in the same area, leaving us exposed to the sun without as much as asking us if it was OK for the umbrella to be moved. It was so outrageously rude that we had to report it to the manager on duty, who duly apologised for the mishap. Nevertheless, one should not expect these kind of mishaps and structural deficiencies in a hotel that is being marketed as a "luxury" hotel.

If you are paying good money, you might as well move next door to Cipriani, where the atmosphere is similar but the service is much better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Bernard82_11
BauerHotels, Manager at Palladio Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying at the bauer Palladio Hotel & Spa. I am glad the you enjoyed our property, the quietness of our gardens and the convenience of the location, easily connected with our free shuttle service.

As discussed in person, the unfortunate episod you experience it is not representing what we strive for every day; clearly these are not the service levels we pride ourselves on.

I hope I get the opportunity of restoring your confidence in us on a future occasion.

Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our INSEAD alumni reunion was to coincide with Redentore, the ultimate Venetian fiesta. Twelf couples from 6 European capitals united for a long weekend.The organizer had his apartment next to the Redentore church, so his recommendation was the Bauer Palladio. The renommé of the Bauer hotels is close to Cipriani and Danieli; so our expectations were high.

Great location, very interesting building, beautiful garden, But: a quite disappointing "deluxe" room, with no furniture & dark ceilings. A swimming pool in sight but not to be used. The breakfast buffet rather mediocre. Wi-Fi service so slow that practically useless.

Room Tip: Friends renting a suite complained, too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bogarfi
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Bauer Palladio Hotel & Spa, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We are glad that you enjoyed our gardens and the quiet you can experience far away to the crowd of the city centre, in particular during the Redentore eve.

The style of our rooms is not the typical Venitial style with luxurious moldings and glass candelstiks, because, being a former convent, it would be an untruth reuse of the building, while it has been taken the choice of preserving the feeling of the original structure, without losing the magnificency of the high and original ceilings.

The swimming pool you had the chance to see, it is part of the neighbour property, called Villa F, therefore, even if the two gardens are interconnecting and you can see through, that specific facility is not part of our property, and can not be accessed by our preciuos Guests.

Thank you againg for your opinion and for staying with Bauer Palladio Htel & Spa

Pulborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Booked hotel because of location -quiet and calm. Was not disappointed -but there are limited eating choices beyond hotel at this end of Guidecca -only other is Cips Bar
However the hotel dining room was wonderful. Tip -another table who were regulars appeared to order a spaghetti dish that was not on the menu-it looked awesome -will copy next time.
Agree with some of the other comments about WiFi and lighting but this is a genuine Italian restored convent-I did not want or expect corporate perfection.
Shuttle to San Marco great, and we ate lunch at Bauer Bar whilst waiting -and they were superb.
Airport transfer sorted with minimum fuss and stored our bags after we had checked out cos we had an evening flight. Very restful and lovely experience enjoyed by whole family.

Room Tip: Ask for lagoon view for first trip -thereafter might try a garden view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Elliottclan
BauerHotels, Resident Manager at Palladio Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2017
Dear Guest,

Thanks you for giving us your opinion and your observation about your stay in Palladio Hotel & Spa.
We are sorry about small downsides but we are sure that will help us to improve.

We hope to receive you in another occasion

Kind regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in Sept 2012 but this time we came back with the kids. Given our first trip was for our anniversary, we opted for the canal view jr suite. It has amazing views of the city but it also get the noise of the delivery traffic at 5am. This time was had room 101 and a garden view. Unlike a lot of hotels that say garden view, this one really has a nice garden which the kids loved to explore. The hotel breakfast is great, service is great as well. We had a wonderful dinner at the hotel one night as well. This hotel just feels like home to us. One big sell for us was the shuttle to the main island and it works like clock work. We couldn't imagine staying in all of the hustle and bustle. We will be back to the Bauer Pallido.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Benandjacksdad
BauerHotels, Direttore at Palladio Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2017
thank you for your extensive feedback on your stay at Palladio Hotel &Spa
We highly appreciated your comments and the entire Team is delighted to know that the experience was up to your expectation.
We really look forward to welcome you back, please do not hesitate to contact us for any futher information.