“Great location but the rooms were not that great”
Review of Hotel Astoria

and 1 more site!
Hotel Astoria
Ranked #355 of 385 Hotels in Venice
“Great location but the rooms were not that great”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a dorm room with 2 other random people. The room was about what I expected for such an awesome location at 35 euros a night. The hotel was about a 3 minute walk from the beautiful st marks. The front desk guy was not very friendly but not much to complain about. I'd probably stay here again if I was traveling on a tight budget.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sutherland21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 30, 2013

ill start by saying it is unbelievably close san marco square which was great but other than that there was literally not one good thing i could say about the place. we stayed for three nights and my girlfriend and i seemed to find a new bug bite on each other every morning, we told the front desk women and she assured us it was mosquitoes yet the sheets seemed very itchy we asked for another room yet they were completely booked which was funny because it seemed as if we were the only people in the entire place. to sum it all up if your comfortable staying in a place with mold on the grout of the showers and feeling dirty your entire stay then this is the place for you. now as you read this comment understand i am not a picky person and can normally handle bad accommodations yet this was over the top nothing works and nothings clean.

Room Tip: room 209 had trouble with shower draining aswell as mold throughout the room if they stick you with...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bookubread
HotelAstoriaVenice, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We are sorry to read the guest's disappointments as we feel so sad on reading he didn't enjoy his stay in our property , we'd like to have him again here as our guest in order to try again to make his accomodation as best as possible.
Of course he's not picky and can handle every bad accomodation he gets but....he didn't give any allowance here.
We'd like to reassure him about the bugs as we never had them in our property because our management take really good care about hygienic and cleanings that are ( as pest controls ) made on a regular schedule.We are sure that the bites his girlfriend got here ,were caused by mosquitoes ( that are unavoidable and frequent bugs in the lagoon ).
We are sorry to read that the guest felt dirty all the time during his stay , of course there was no need to feel like that as it was totally inappropriate, because even if Hotel Astoria may be a little "basic" or "simple" and even if the building itself may need some renuvations ,it's indeedly clean and safe.
We would had been pleased to change the guest's room but , unfortunately the hotel was fully booked in the period of his stay, we are sure he found that out walking around the city , not of course in the hotel where guests use to come back only to relax , shower and have some rest from their visiting days ( venice is a very lively city with many attractions and events all year , rarely the tourists get bored as much to pass days in their hotel's rooms ).
We are available to discuss any further issue with the guest.

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

San Luis Obispo County, California
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place is TERRIBLE. The customer service was downright awful. I would happily pay 5 to 10 euros more to avoid this place. The location is the ONLY good thing about this place. The front desk manager lied to me telling me there were no maps. An hour later when his shift changed... the next employee handed me a map. The breakfast was terrible. The nigh receptionist was downright threatening chasing my friend away who just wanted to have a glass of wine with me and then leave. The bathroom smelled like it hadnt been cleaned in months. Bottom line... worst place I have ever stayed period.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Renata S
HotelAstoriaVenice, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hotel Astoria's staff and management is always sorry to read such negative feedbacks.
All the personnel is aware about some lacks in the property's rooms and services and like to apologize for that.
Both staff and management tries anyway to make their guests stay as comfortable as possible.
what is not beared by our hotel's staff is the lack of respect and the false accusations.
We perfectly recall the person who wrote this comment, as the episodes she's reporting as well.
Our staff has no reason or interest to lie about maps , that are always available for free at all our guests.
The lady came at the reception asking for a map , but there weren't any , map supplies were a bit late as they did not still been delivered , that's why the employer apologized for not being able to give one to her the first time she asked for, when maps have been supplied ,time has passed and shift was changed, so finally the next employer was able to provide one to her,
The breakfast is far from terrible , it's an open all you can eat buffet with many sorts of food and drinks.The guests can eat and drink as much as they like , usually people that throw bad comments on it , are maybe looking for english stuff like ham , bacon , eggs or meat ( that are very hard to find in a 2 stars hotel in venice ).
The night receptionists didn't chase anyone , he usually doesn't have the time to lose on that , he was just making sure to
preserve our property’s security because the lady's friend tried to access to the lady's room from outside , and without asking any allowance at 02,00 AM in the morning ( no visitors are allowed to access the property during the night and single rooms are supposed to welcome 1 person only ( not 2 )).
We may respect that both the lady and his friend did not agree about that , but shouting , pushing and insulting the receptionist because of this it maybe has been too exaggerated.
Despite all the issues the lady may have had during her stay , that we'd like to apologize for , we don't think to deserve such accusations.
We are open and available to discuss everything with the lady and are looking forward to meet her again in order to make her next stay as better as possible.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I admit I did read the "Horror" reviews from other travellers below and I must say if you're looking for a hotel just two minutes walk away from St Marks square, or a ten minute stroll to the Riatlo bridge with all the shops, restaurants etc. Then this is the hotel for you folks, providing you're not looking for a 5* luxury resort. And as we were in Venice for 4 days I wanted a hotel in the centre of the action and not having the hassle of traveling everywhere by boat to see the attractions, so I chose the Astoria for this reason. Finding this little hotel couldn't be easier, on arriving at St Marks square simply walk straight across the said square through the main exit, turn first left and over the little bridge and there it is simple. First impressions were that this building looked very old indeed, yes our check in couldn't have been easier too and after a quick chat with the friendly guy we went to our room which was upstairs, bearing in mind there is no lift either as the building is listed & protected so no mod cons, the room was I suppose small with a separate bathroom to match. I also did notice a bit of a stale smell coming from the shower area a bit annoying but, remember this building is 300 yrs old and surrounded by canals..! And as we only wanted a place to sleep it was a case of putting up with it for now, as no one comes to Venice to sit in a hotel room and admire the furniture. Our room was cleaned on a daily basis with the bed being made too, with fresh towels provided,and as for the TV I think we had it on once so I wasn't really that bothered about it not being a 50 inch plasma either, looking around the room and yes it was a bit dated and so on but being eager to get to grips with Venice and the sights it was hardly noticeable. we did also have some company up here on the third floor a pair of nesting pigeons outside our window, cooing away quite funny really.
As for breakfast well, it's not a big area but comfortable, the food on offer being some cereals, rolls, cold meats, breads etc, there is also a coffee machine available which wasn't too bad I suppose.Just don't be down too late as there is usually not much left, but in all honesty you don't want a huge breakfast as this is Venice folks and this area is awash with restaurants and cafes a gourmet delight for all tastes.
I did notice the staff could also be friendly with you but, it's you that has to make the first effort with them after that everybody's smiling. However on my final night we came back at around 01.00 am, and had the misfortune to meet the surly guy on night shift behind the desk and whilst handing me my room key suddenly asked me to settle my hotel bill there and now. Shocked I asked why? And he just shrugged his shoulders, I said I would settle in the late morning but he still asked for it, so I gave him my card and lo and behold it wouldn't work as the banks lines had collapsed due to excessive demands by tourists. Being unsuccessful he handed it back and gruffly said I could try later in the morning, I kid you not here.! This little incident didn't do him any favours with me either and was totally unnecessary, not wanting to create a scene at that time of the night, I waited, and upon complaining to the lady in the morning about him I was informed he was new to the job and she promised to speak to him later. But full credit to the rest of the staff who were very friendly and helped me out with any questions I had, and as they say never judge a book by the cover folks.
We did have a wee problem with fellow guests namely hysterical, hyper teenagers running around the corridor, but along with the bells of St Marks tolling outside they acted like an alarm call each morning which wasn't too bad. All in all this was a brilliant hotel location to stay and that's the reason I gave it 4* simply due to everything being central and for anyone on a budget, just bear in mind it is a very old family run business in an even older building with the scars to match and this adds to the feel and ambiance of being in the heart of Venice, perhaps the people who complain about this hotel should really just stay at home and complain about things like the weather and other boring things etc, instead of being in this fabulous city of wonder...! And yes I would stay here again folks no worries..!

Room Tip: I can only say if you have walking difficulties bear this in mind when booking a room here, as there...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bigb67Scotland
HotelAstoriaVenice, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Sir,

We'd like to thank you for your sincere and honest feedback on our property.
Too much bad comments are thrown usually to our establishment that is just a simple and easy place where to spend a couple of days in venice.
Most of the people that wrote previously forgot the money they saved booking a room in our property that's located in the main centre of Venice , and the services they got during their stay with us , well.... you didn't , you kindly reported all your needs and we did our best to help you. We finally are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay despite the few issues you noticed.
We apologize for our night shift behaviour , the guy was new and doesn't work here anymore.
We really appreciate the compliments you forwarded to all the other staff members and the property as well
We'll keep your suggestions to improve our services and are looking forward to meet you and your wife again soon.
Thanks again for your consideration,

Best Regards,

HOTEL ASTORIA
UK
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

This budget hotel was an amazing find and I would definitely use it again. Whilst the rooms are small the bathrooms are reasonable and how much time do you spend in your room?

It's literally 5 mins walk from st marks and also the water buses from the airport. Location couldn't be better

Room very clean with tv and fridge. Air con also very effective. Staff friendly and quick.

And with the very good price we were surprised at the quality of the breakfast. Hams. Cheeses. Cereals. Breads. Cakes. Even bacon and egg.

Providing you don't want to party in your room I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Sarah C
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a trip to Venice during Valentine's Day and stayed in Hotel Astoria for 4 nights. We had arrived expecting to be in a room with two other people, and were told instead that we would have a private room, which was a nice surprise. While I have to agree with most of the other reviews that Hotel Astoria is not exactly in great condition (mold, stains, smell, stuffiness), for us, it served its purpose just fine. We needed somewhere to sleep and take a shower, and Hotel Astoria had both, so that was all we really cared about. It is in a great location, less than 2 minutes away from San Marco. They clean the rooms every day, and there is breakfast available from 8am-10am every day, though it is not much and costs 5 Euro, so we always went somewhere else anyway. The workers were not overly pleasant, but never rude or cold. Bathrooms and showers are communal (which I was a little irked by, considering the price we paid, though this is standard for Venice). Bottom line is, if you can afford it, definitely go to a nicer hotel. If you're like my boyfriend and I, and were traveling on a strict budget, Hotel Astoria isn't the worse thing in the world.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KAW218
Uruguaiana, RS
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is the worst hotel I have seen!!! The rooms are FILTHY, as well the bathroom!! There were MOLD and STAINS wherever we looked at!!! Space even for walking?!?!? Where??? NO AIR-CONTIONING, NO elevators, the TV was the first one invented and small, there were NO frames in the doors. The breakfast was little and very bad!! There wasn't even a phone in the room!! I would NEVER recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Renata O
HotelAstoriaVenice, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Astoria, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Customer,

We are sorry to read all your disappointment about your stay in our Hotel.
We'd like to thank you for your feedback that will help us to improve our services in the future.
We'd like also to reply at some of your declarations that are maybe too excessive.
First of all, our property is not filthy at all ...all your pics are clearly demostrating that our rooms
are cleaned properly.As we wrote on other reviews , the mold and the stains are caused mostly
by Venice humidity and by old palaces wasting.
Our property is located in a 300 years old palace that can't afford an elevator and an air conditioned system.
The tv is a bit old but it seems it works properly ( according to your pictures ) .
The rooms are a bit small , but we can assure you that they're all patented by city hall council of tourism.
The breakfast is not bad and has lots of choices on food and beverages.

Best Regards,