Le Mansarde
$236
$205
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Savoia & Jolanda(Venice)
$373
Hotels.com
$807
Londra Palace
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I just returned home to New York after a five night trip to Venice and am so grateful that I found Le Mansarde B&B! It was so fantastic to stay there. It is perfectly located because it is close to the station - about a ten minute easy walk - and in a part of Venice where you can escape from the heavy tourist crowds. The B&B is in one of the most beautiful residential areas of Venice, close to the Rialto market, and very near a vaporetto stop, making very convenient for coming and going from any part of Venice.

The room I stayed in was very spacious and had beautiful, antique furniture. There was comfy, huge bed with gorgeous linens and lots of space to hang clothes and was also very quiet so I had a great night's sleep every night I was there. There is a private bath across the hall. The entire space is immaculate - just as clean as it could possibly be - and all of the linens and towels were fantastic quality.

Every morning Anna Maria, the host, would bring a lovely breakfast with fresh juices and smoothies and pastries. She is a delight, and was so warm and welcoming so I felt completely at home. Her english is excellent, and she was so generous to always take time to ask me where I was planning to go during the day and in the evening for dinner. Her recommendations were so helpful because she would give four or five suggestions at a time that were all equally authentic, truly Venetian places. She led me to by far the best meals that I had during my stay in Venice.

Venice is the most beautiful city in the world, but sometimes the tourist crowds can spoil it a bit. I would recommend Le Mansarde as a perfect antidote to the overly touristic experience of Venice. It is comfortable, welcoming, and gives you a real sense of the place when you arrive back at the end of the day.

Enjoy Venice and enjoy Le Mansarde!!

Francesca

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank maydaytripper
Reviewed June 20, 2008

This is a wonderful B&B just minutes from the train station but enough out of the way that you're removed from all the bustle. The rooms are on the top floor, with a good view over the roof tops of Cannaregio. The owner was very helpful and steered us toward good restaurants and some great sightseeing tips. Very friendly, good English and won't break the bank. If there's a downside it's simply that there's no elevator and our luggage was heavy.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Overseez
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I read about this place in one of Rick Steve's guidebooks - Italy 2005. It was even better than he described!
Where to start-
First, it is located in a residential neighborhood, a couple blocks from the historic Jewish Ghetto (not a ghetto as Americans know it), and a very convenient ACTV bus stop. And an ATM right downstairs!
The local markets set up everyday right on the street below, so there are plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, etc. daily.
Anna Maria, our hostess, was delightful! Very sweet! The first thing she did was sit us down, give us a map, and explain where to go to eat, sightsee, etc. She told us where the locals eat, so we appreciated that!
Our suite was impeccably clean and consisted of a small living area with sofa bed, a kitchenette (fully stocked with dishes, etc), private bathroom, and a loft with 2 twin beds. And, cleaned daily!
Anna Maria also made breakfast every day, consisting of fresh juice, fresh yogurts and fruits, and/or pasties. Coffee was provided so we made our own.
It was nice being more with the locals than the touristy section because that is what we like. Everything is close enough in Venice that it never took long to get anywhere.
I highly recommend this bed and breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank cranichik
Reviewed May 12, 2008

This is a review of our trip to Venice and Le Mansarde.

Ok, what to for a long weekend? Well, it is easy if you plan ahead but if you are sitting at the couch on a Thursday just before the long weekend, it kinda gets difficult. We went to a long 5 days trip last time covering 1900km (1892 to be exact) visiting French Riviera and Milano. Venice was in our list to must visits. I thought the biggest challenge would be finding accommodation because I have already decided to drive there!

I started to look usual websites to find accommodation, i.e. hotels.com, ebookers.ch etc. with no avail. The hotels are starting 300Euros per night. I am not keen to spend too much on accommodation and I know you can find a decent place for around 100 Euro per night ….that is if you plan ahead! Then I looked the tripadvisor website and called one of the B&B. The owner told me that she didn’t have any rooms but gave me a fantastic website. The website www.breakfastinvenice.com connects you directly to all of the B&B owners in Venice. You cannot look at the availabilities but can send an email to all of the owners with one click and they send back their availability info within 1 day. I had an email from Le Mansarde on Friday morning confirming their availability, YAY! For 120 Euro/night, it looked like a great deal. I was ecstatic to find somewhere to stay so our trip to Venice was a GO!

This time, although we had Monday off, we decided to stay Friday and Saturday nights and spend 2 nights, 2 days in Venice and come back on Sunday late evening. It would be good to stay Monday at home and relax a bit. I finished work on Friday and meanwhile my wife did all the prep for our break. Our route was the shortest available in our Sat-Nav. First we will enter France, drive through the Mont-Blanc tunnel, enter Italy and then Venice via Milano and Verona. Total of around 600kms in 6 hours. I have done it in about 7 hours with a few breaks along the route.

We have first arrived to Mestre, the town just before crossing to Venice island. I didn’t know that there is road to Venice, I thought there is only train and boat connection. Anyway, I stuck to my plan and parked at the Mestre railway station. It costs 6 Euros weekdays and 10 Euros weekends so for me from Friday to Sunday, it cost 26 Euros. There are trains every 10 mins or so to Venice and it costs 1 Euro one way, bargain! After a 10 minute journey, we set foot to beautiful Venice.

Our B&B was only 10 minutes walk and it was a pleasant walk along the main streets. The Mansarde is on third floor of a beautiful old house. The ground floor is a bank branch and it is on the main street. It was very easy to find. The room was brand new and decorated tastefully with antique furnishing. Although it is on the small side, finding a clean, brand new room with air con, modern shower for this price was unbeatable. The owner Anna-Maria was very friendly and knowledgeable about Venice. She took our map and highlighted many restaurants, osterios, bars, tourist spots and on top of that gave names and numbers for gondola rides, glass factories etc. This is service that you cannot get anywhere else! These people are friends of hers and wherever we went with her card, we welcomed like part of a family. Fantastic!

Venice itself is a beautiful city and I think you can spend up to 4 nights here even though I thought 2 nights and 2 days were enough for us to see main attractions. I particularly enjoyed the fish market on Saturday. It was great to see much different type of fresh fish in abundance and at such low prices.

I will not go into detail of main attractions such as St Marco square, gondola rides etc. I can give you up to date prices though to give you an idea of costs. Car park in Venice costs about 25 euros/night, yes it makes sense to park in Mestre! The public boat costs 16 Euros for 24 hours. A hotel / B&B starts from 100 Euro to 500 Euro per night. A gondola ride should cost max 80 Euro for a short (30 mins) and 100 Euro (40 mins), for night add 20 Euros, for a singer and musician on board add 150 Euros. A good meal cost 50 Euros per person. Note that there are “tourist menus” for 15 Euro per person, I don’t recommend it, made that mistake once and didn’t touch the food after first bite. For souvenirs, you can buy a mask, which differs greatly in price and quality; starts around 40 Euros to 200 Euros for a normal size mask. We like oil paintings and found a shop close to train station. The paintings are made by Venician artists. They cost about 300 Euros for 80x60cm oil painting with a wooden frame. These are cheap because the artists are local and not known but we bought 2 that we really liked. In our last trip we spent 400 Euros for a 35x25 painting but from a well known artist. There are various shops that sell Murano glass (the island close to Venice and famous for glasses). These are of course much expensive in Venice than in Murano.

And lastly few more words about Le Mansarde. It is a hidden gem in beautiful Venice. I strongly recommend anyone that wants a clean and brand new B&B at a great location with a very friendly owner. We will be back if we want to visit Venice again.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank comuk
Reviewed June 15, 2007

We just returned from Venice after spending 3 outstanding nights in the immaculate a/c bedroom w/king bed & beautiful private bathroom with shower, tub, bidet, toilet etc with thick towels and quality linens in the flat of the gracious Anna-Maria Cazzaro at Le Mansarde,Rio Terà San Leonardo, Cannaregio 1353/c - C. A. P. 30121. Anna-Maria & her family speak English beautifully & Anna Maria provides excellent advice on using the water transportation; recommending really good restaurants & classical music venues. Her breakfasts were delightful. Wonderful fruit smoothies, bread, homemade brownies, biscuits, jams, juice & heavenly robust coffee. If that was not enough, Anna Maria washed our clothes and presented us with a parting gift so we can froth our own coffee now. We can't wait to return to her gracious home! Anna Maria's Le Mansarde is 15 minute walk from rail station in a typical 18th century Venetian building surrounded by shops, farmer's market, cafe's etc. and is a 5 minute walk to the Grand Canal and Vaporetto n° 1 (S.Marcuola Stop) yet it's tranquil and quiet at night away from the crazy bustle of Rialto. An added plus,Anna-Maria is completing three brand new, spacious bedrooms each with private bath and beautiful Venetian plaster walls that should be ready now. I saw them when they were 3/4 complete and they are beautiful. It doesn't get much better than this, especially in Venice. Our rate was 110 euros per night in April.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Cheryl1234