“Living La Dolce Vita at the Locanda Aquavita”
Review of Locanda Acquavita

Locanda Acquavita
Ranked #269 of 476 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed at the Locanda for three nights... we took the water bus to the Fondamente Nove stop, it was easy find from there... the concierge stayed until we arrived, we were much later than we anticipated... and were very pleased to have been welcomed upon our arrival. The room looks exactly like the pictures on web site, except you don't get the entire vision of the windows... they are huge... three huge windows in the Murano room...two in the bedroom and one in the bath... a modern three piece bath. Everything was super clean and cozy. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning worked great, very important after, very hot days of walking, Breakfast was adequate, crossants, juice, jams, butter, cookies...but... the best capuccino that we had on our trip... not sure how she did it... but it was tasty... we felt very much at home in the Locanda Aquavita. The staff was very friendly, and helped us make arrangements for a water taxi back to the mainland... (which was well worth the extra money). For our experience we felt very safe at the Locanda. The staff are extremely honest and trustworthy... they went the extra mile for us... I left behind a very sentimental item and they found it and returned it to me in North America as well as an extra gift. We thank the Locanda for the wonderful hospitality and for the wonderful memories... I would recommend staying here. I have already recommended the place to my family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 5, 2009

We booked the Burano Room for a couple of nights.

Breakfast was rather underwhelming. The coffee was ok but fresh bread would have made a big difference. They do bring it up to the room which was nice, but for the price of the accommodation, they should have done a whole lot better. We decided to have breakfast in a cafe on the second morning.

Some of the furniture was a bit kitsch in contrast with the beautiful bed and Murano glass chandelier that were of a luxurious and traditional Venetian style. The transparent plastic chairs, for example, would seriously assault any daydreamer who seeks to wander back in time and morph into a doge or dogaressa.

The accommodation was comfortable and spacious however - set out more like a little apartment, and the views of the canal are small but sweet. Boats pass by throughout the night, so if you like to sleep in silence, the Burano room is not for you. You'd go nuts.

We didn't mind the sound of boats and slept well in the big comfortable bed. The candle was a nice touch too. The owners are kind and very helpful. The lady was there when we arrived to let us in and left us to it. The place is unstaffed during the afternoon and evenings and there is a minibar in the room. It is also very conveniently located if you're taking a boat from the airport.

All things considered, we would recommend this Locanda, it's slightly quirky but very nice and well located, away from the tourists but still in a mysterious and beautiful labyrinth of canals and alleyways. We will be going back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2009

My husband and I started our Italian vacation with 2 nights at this B&B. I loved the decor and cleanliness of all areas. The breakfast was made of packaged snacks and jams/spreads, but they brewed fresh hot drinks and served juice. It was not too far from the Rialto Bridge and St. Marks. It is just off a vaporetto stop for the surrounding islands, and about 10 minutes from a stop on the Grand Canal. We stayed in the Murano room and loved the view of the canal. The canal was a bit noisy in the morning, but it helped us avoid too much jetlag by getting up early.
Our only major difficulty with this place was that we had to call upon our arrival to get the key since we arrived after 1:00 pm. If I had not known this and brought my cell phone, I am not sure what I would have done. Otherwise, we loved our stay here!

Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed at Aquavita for 2 nights and we enjoyed very much. Room was as nice as shown on their very well done website and very clean. Service and hospitality was exceptional as well as the price (summer special for 75 euro). The area is quiet and not far from strada nuova. I can easily recommend this place.

Reviewed July 18, 2009

Booking:
This is the perfect ”locanda” for the romantic Venice weekend! I booked the hotel on their website (www.acquavita.it) and found special promotions not listed on sites like booking.com. Paid for the room in cash upon arrival, no problem what so ever and the staff was very friendly.

Room:
The room was 100% romantic. The hotel is small and has only five rooms. You can see all of them on their website and state in which you want to stay when booking. We stayed in the “Murano” room which has canal views from all three windows, beautiful romantic decor, clean and with a well functioning AC. The bathroom is nice and big with hairdryer.

Breakfast:
It is included but very basic. The Italians are not known for their breakfasts and if you are hungry in the morning you will be disappointed. Everything is packed in plastic no fresh bread or fruits etc. We solved the problem by topping up the breakfast with juice/cheese/yoghurt from the nearby Coop grocery store. You can keep “your” breakfast in the minibar in the room.

Location:
We loved the location! Venice can be extremely crowded and very touristy, this hotel is located away from the main streets but since Venice is quite small in all you won’t be faraway anyway, you will have lots of nice canals and bridges literally all to yourself. It is about 20 mins walk to St Marks Square and 5 mins to the Rialto Bridge and it is a Vaporetto stop 5 mins from the hotel. From there you can catch a boat to the nearby islands of Murano, Burano or Lido. Well worth a visit.

I think that this hotel offers very good value for money and I would recommend it to everyone.

Reviewed April 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. Overall the experience was great. We booked this through Venere.com, but it would have been just as easy to book directly. The rate was very good (off season 58E)
The first night they were full, and we were put into the very small room downstairs, which was fine with us since we were so jet-lagged all we wanted to do was sleep. The next morning, we were moved to the beautiful corner room upstairs. One side faced the canal and the other the cute little street. While she was cleaning, I peeked into the other upstairs rooms, which were all just great. We stayed in 2 other same priced hotels one in Florence and one in Rome, and this one was by far the best. Expect a little bit of noise from the canal though, since it was a bit busy with local traffic. I enjoyed the view more than I was ever bothered by the noise. We saw delivery boats, construction boats, and even a hearst boat. The youth in Venice are just as into music on their boats and American youth like music in their cars.
The breakfast was simple, but brought to your room on a beautifully prepared tray.

One piece of advice, though. In our confirmation e-mail she said to call her when we arrived, and she's escort us from the Vaporetto stop to the hotel. Since we didn't want to risk using our phones, I just figured I'd go straight there myself. Nobody answered the doorbell, so I left my husband and went to find a payphone. I wandered several blocks, and happened upon a small market in one of the squares. Feeling really stupid, I couldn't get the phone to work so I asked a nearby women for help. She spoke very little english, but she gathered her friends around and all tried to help me connect the call. 10 minutes later, still no luck but eventually a nice man came along with a phone card. Once I reached her, getting into the place was no problem.
Tips: Other than at check-in, nobody spoke any English. Be prepared.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmberSH
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Stayed here with my fiancee for four nights in August, 2008. We got a last minute reservation for about 75E, which is fantastic value for Venice. The first three nights were romantic perfection; the last night was unforgetable for all the wrong reasons.

Location:
Near Fondamenta Nuevo, which is a direct boat ride from the airport for 10E or so if memory serves. In a quiet section of the island away from the madness of the touristic hub; we were quite thankful for this fact as we were able to rest and relax in quiet comfort after just a short walk from the nearest boat/bus stop. One should certainly purchase one or three-day boat passes as this location is away from the big center square. But, there are plenty of cozy and unique restaurants nearby that offered great value and quality. Most importantly, we felt remarkably un-touristy in this B&B, which is saying something for Venice in August.

Ambiance:
The first three nights of our stay were in one of the larger rooms upstairs and were fantastic. Breakfast served in the room with cappucino was very nice. Plenty of space for our things and a very luxurious bed. Our room had a window looking over a little venice canal; very romantic.

The last night we moved to the small room on the bottom floor (this was necessary as we extended our stay while we were in Venice and our previous room had been booked up already). It was small but cozy and comfortable at first glance. However, it's got one of those "shower above the toilet" bathrooms, which is really not very comfortable. This was still acceptable however - the real problem were the EARWIGS. We killed about 14 before nervously going to sleep. The proprietor seemed honestly surprised when we told her about these, however we were certainly not hallucinating. Perhaps the previous traveller had released them; I don't know. We did not receive a discount or other compensation for this unpleasantness; however since we had already gotten such a nice price for our stay we did not complain and preferred to focus on the rest of the stay here, which was quite nice.

Overall:
I would stay here again, just not on the bottom floor room. I'm sure it was an anomaly, since the rest of the B&B was immaculate.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk