“Definitely worth it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #367 of 462 Venice B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Definitely worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

I travelled to Venice with my wife and daughter and so booked a triple room for 180 Euro. We only had two nights in Venice so we preferred to stay in town and not to have to travel to and from the Lido, where prices are lower. Venice is expensive and so the price was really OK for a location so close to the center of town. An easy walk to the Rialto and another 10 minutes to St. Mark's. A few restaurants very nearby, including a Chinese one that was open late so even though we arrived at 11:00PM we could still get food. Many restaurants near the Rialto. Take into account that they get pricey if they are on the Grand Canal. We had room 104 which is actually a two room suite with a modern bathroom (shower). There are 54 (!!!) steep stairs to climb to the first floor (rooms 101-104) and they were NOT fun but they did not take away from the advantages of location and clean rooms. As others have written, breakfast is practically nothing but it was OK to start the day (you spend a lot of time in coffee shops in Italy anyway). The receptionist could have been more helpful but again, the stay was definitely worth it. I would go back again (with less luggage :) next time)

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The stairs
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

This hotel was very central to the Rialto Bridge and fish market. A little noisy but with the streets as they are you would hear every thing in most hotels.Beware,steep stairs and long way up with no elevator. The room was super clean, very stylish in decor(venetion) and bathroom was clean and well equiped. Breakfast was abismal, one roll(hard) a danish pastry, orange and water and a coffee, no choice and no seconds, especially with the cost of food in Venice it would have been nice to have had a buffet. Not impressed with waiter who was rude and surly. He cleared up as I finished each mouthful as my husband was eating. I would stay again but not book breakfast as the location was so good. But dont take lots of luggage, the stairs will kill you, especially with all the walking round Venice.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2005

Just returned from a couple of days in Venice, found the Hotel Alloggi al Merchante by accident on the Internet what can I say, it was perfect the location ( near to the Rialto Bridge )the rooms are beautiful so romantic, all newly refurbished, huge bathrooms, beautiful furniture, clean, only 5 rooms, No 105 was ours and it was the best!!! 2 bathrooms, bed on a balcony upstairs overlooking the lounge... and the price well you just have to check that out because you would not believe it... sooooo good value and not def not high. I garantee you will return.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

I booked this hotel through a hotel website and had a confirmation of a single room. When I arrived my name was not on their guest list. The desk clerk made a phone call to someone and then explained to me that I was being put in an apartment. The clerk had only been there 1 month and did not know where the apartments were and didn't have the keys. I waited for someone to take me to my apartment. About half an hour later I asked the clerk to call this person and ask how long she was going to be. He called and she was still looking for parking so I told him that I'd come back later as I did not want to waste any more time as I was only in Venice for 1 night. Before I left, he took payment, saying that it would save me having to come back the next day to do it. I went back later in the afternoon and was taken to my apartment, across the Grand Canal in Cannaregio! Although the apartment was nice, and the area is nice, I had wanted to stay in San Polo. I could have spent less in a lower starred hotel but chose this one because of it's location, decoration, and price. So of course I was annoyed to be that far from where I wanted to stay. Thankfully there's a traghetto to get between the two sestiere. The lady who showed me the apartment said she would be back at 9am to show the next guest the apartment, drop off his bags and take the keys! Outrageous! So not only was I moved from the hotel I wanted, but I was basically being told to make room for the next guest! The following morning I got up early and left, returning the key to the hotel and wishing I had booked somewhere else.

So beware! If you book this hotel, check that you are actually staying in the hotel if that's what you want. This place has apartments throughout the city under the name Venezia Residenze.

Stayed July 2005
5 Thank Hdot

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels