“Guide to an Insider's view of Venice”
Review of 3749 Ponte Chiodo

3749 Ponte Chiodo
Ranked #23 of 475 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2012

What a gem of a B&B!

Our room overlooked the canals and bridges, was quiet, clean and elegant. Mattia, our host, was enthusiastic and offered us a warm welcome. We most appreciated his home-made map of authentic Venetian restaurants (none touristy - and spread across the city).

When we tried to extend our stay, and there were no rooms, he tirelessly searched for good B&Bs for us. That's going the second mile. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pho-Trappers
mattia170, Proprietario at 3749 Ponte Chiodo, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay In Pontechiodo and Venice.
I sincerely hope it will be possible to guest you for a longer time!
my warm regards
Mattia

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was only in Venice one night and I was searching for a place that was not so touristy and that wasn't a complete rip off like most of the Hotels are. I was lucky enough to find 3749 Ponte Chiodo and I am so happy I did! It was not far from the water bus stop at Ca' D'Oro and there was a ton to do right around it. It was maybe a 5 minute walk to the Rialto and it was in a very safe area. THe staff was amazing and spoke english and helped me out with a map and suggestions on where to eat and a good plan to make the most of my one day in the City. I would absolutely stay here again and if you love the feel of a bed and breakfast, this is a perfect place!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at the Ponte Chiodo for four nights and very much enjoyed what must be the best kept secret in Venice. This cozy B&B offers the perfect base for exploring the city and Mattia is a good host who offers genuine advice on local attractions, restaurants etc.

The B&B is centrally located in the Cannaregio neighbourhood, but away from any main streets and thus offers a quiet atmosphere - including a nice, little garden that allows for afternoon relaxation after having toured the city for the whole day. The breakfast is OK, but the coffee is fantastic.

We originally booked the bottom floor room for the whole period, but due to a cancellation we were able to get a top floor room with a fantastic channel view for half the time. However, we can also conclude that the bottom floor room is by far the least attractive. It can seem a little claustrophobic being in a low ground level and with low ceilings - and since it you enter it directly from the common room it also can seem at little less private. However, the generic room standard is similar to the others.

This place is perfect for couples or a small group of friends, who wish a nice and quiet base for exploring the city.

Room Tip: Make sure to book one of the rooms on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lars H
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our stay was wonderful in the quiet hotel a bit off the tourist track (but only a short 10 min walk to the Rialto Bridge). Our room was at the front overlooking the canal and was large by Venice standards ... we weren't in it long as we were out early and back late (4 day break not a long time in the city)... in the summer it is different as you'd need to have a siesta in the heat of the afternoon. The garden again we did not need or use but I would imagine is a wonderful place to spend time in the summer. Mattia was really informative and patient answering questions from all guests from boat times to restaurant recommendations. I'd return again no problem. As for the breakfasts ... they are simple but to be honest we had a little something to get us going and then enjoyed popping into the bars and cafes for coffees, snacks and prosecco throughout the day ... for us Venice/Italy is about food and drink as much as architecture, water and art.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PhilFraser
Reviewed September 30, 2012

this hotel is located about 5 minutes walk and over only one bridge from the Ca D'Oro vaporetto stop - bonus! we arrived late in the evening so we didn't get to meet Mattia until the next morning. although he needed to leave to take his son to school, he spent ample time with us to give suggestions for what to see and do on our one day in Venice. he also booked us a dinner reservation for that night and it was our best meal of the trip!

the room was tiny (which i expect in Europe) but it was quaint and had a great view over the canal. i really liked having the sink outside "the closet" that held the shower and toilet so we could get ready quickly.

i wish we had had more time to enjoy the garden setting apart from breakfast but the airlines messed up our itinerary and the amount of time we had in Venice. i would stay here again but i gave the hotel a good rating instead of excellent simply for the lack of variety at breakfast. there wasn't a lot to choose from BUT it was the only place that made lovely decorations in my cappuccino foam on the entire trip. that i loved!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank harbrsl
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have mixed feelings about Ponte Chiodo. My problem is that my room was very, very tiny. I couldn't even lay out my suitcase on the floor because there wasn't enough room. Luckily, I didn't spend a lot of time in my room so it wasn't a huge deal. The breakfast was average. Other than the small room and the so-so breakfast, it was a decent place.

I ended out staying a third night in Venice at another hotel. I paid the same room rate but got a MUCH nicer room, better breakfast, and better location.

Ponte Chiodo was nice enough, but if you shop around you'll find something better.

Room Tip: If you can help it, avoid the single rooms. They are very small.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bob_Lawblah
mattia170, Proprietario at 3749 Ponte Chiodo, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay in Pontechiodo because of the room's size, the location and the breakfast.
The room is a single room 8 square meters wide which means around 86,00 square feet. Despite this small size I have several guests which wish to come back in that same room because they find it quiet and cozy with a nice view over the garden.
The location seems to be one of the plus of my guest house according with the reviews of the other guests; close to main attractions (15 minutes from San Marco Square) but luckily not so close to be in the middle of the overcrowded and over touristy area; very easy to reach from the Airport or the train Station and in the middle of an area well furnished of good local oriented restaurants and wine/tapas bars (baccari).
The breakfast offers personalized cappuccino(!), coffee, tea, juices, fresh croissants and bread, butter, cheese, marmalades, Korn flakes, local delicious biscuits (Burano's biscuits) cooked ham, yogurts seasonal fruit; perhaps it is not the one offered by a 4/5 stars hotel but It shouldn't be to bad.
As regards the prices if you would have booked straight with the Pontechiodo's web site you would have obtained a better price.
My best wishes
Mattia Baseggio
the owner

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We booked this guest house from others recommendations and couldn't believe our luck. Due to a cancellation we had a canal front room on first floor and it was perfect for the view of canals. Furnished in antique style I was very comfortable complete wit air conditioning.
Mattia , the owner, was extremely helpful and his restaurant guide was very much appreciated. Breakfast is very adequate and the cappuccino beautifully presented.
You are welcome to use the walled garden for your own peaceful drinks and dining. We were so disappointed to find the Ponto Chiodo fully booked when we tried to book and month later but Mattia kindly found us an appartment nearby. What great service!

Room Tip: Try for a first floor canal view room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
mattia170, Owner at 3749 Ponte Chiodo, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

I am so glad you had such a nice stay in Venice!
I hope you will be back sooner or later.
arrivederci