“Great location, nice room, worst breakfast ever!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vecellio

Hotel Vecellio
Ranked #189 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Great location, nice room, worst breakfast ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed three nights for my wife's birthday and our anniversary which both fall on the same weekend.

Firstly, I'd have to say this isn't a hotel. There's no hot food available at any time, in fact there isn't any food available at all apart from breakfast (which isn't really a breakfast anyway to be honest, and I'll come to that...) there's no mini-bar, no iron and not even a kettle in the room (I'll also come on to this...)
It's more of a clean, nice guest house to use as a base whilst exploring the wonderful city of Venice. If you're expecting the amenities you'd normally expect with a hotel then you will be very disappointed.

We generally only use hotels as a place to sleep, so we're not even too bothered about having some of the finer things you might expect in a more expensive hotel, but what we absolutely do expect to have the basics.
To this end, the first and foremost thing we enjoy about hotels - and i'm sure you'll agree - is a good breakfast to set you up for the day. Sadly, this was the most disappointing thing about our stay. My wife and I have travelled all over the world, and it saddens me to say that this is probably THE worst breakfast we have had anywhere in the world!

Cheap and nasty croissant (pre-packed in plastic, chewy and filled with cheap apricot plastic jam), some salami (slightly curled up at the edges) some cheap packets of jam and a small pot the cheapest yoghurt available does not even constitute a breakfast in my opinion. Even the bread was pre-packed supermarket fayre, cheap and nasty.
I mean, seriously, would it really be so hard to go to one of the MANY fine local bakeries and pay the princely sum of 1 whole Euro for a decent, freshly baked croissant? Or just visit the local supermarket and buy 2 or 3 different boxes of different cereal and some milk? Maybe even some fruit? These things cost very little, but they really are what make your stay enjoyable at a hotel.
After our first day we bought some cereal and ate in clandestinely in our room! :-(

Because we knew the breakfast was so terrible, on our second day (our wedding anniversary) I thought I would just run downstairs and fetch us a cup of coffee each and take it back to my wife in bed and then we'd head out for breakfast some where it was edible.
To my disappointment I was told that it was "forbidden" to have coffee in our room! Something to do with it once costing him "1,000 euro because someone had coffee in the room".
I found this slightly confusing, not to mention slightly insulting and embarrassing. I'm a 34 year old, very responsible adult in Venice with my wife, not a teenager on a lads holiday in a youth hostel in Ibiza! I think I can managed to drink a coffee without painting the walls with it!!
So, Matteo, if you're reading this I frankly don't care what solitary issue you once had in the past, you should trust your customers with a cup of coffee in their room!! It's as simply as that.

It was at this point we noticed that there wasn't even a kettle to make our own coffee. :-(

Anyway, the owner Matteo was nice enough and very helpful with local knowledge etc, the location is great and room was quite nice and clean, which actually makes this low score very frustrating for me as I don't like leaving low score reviews generally.

But If only the owner could see some sense with the small things like offering a decent breakfast, an iron, a kettle in the room etc, and simply trust his customers with a coffee in bed on their wedding anniversary (!) then I'd have been giving him 4 stars today instead of 2. Sorry, Matteo!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tom R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We found this nice hotel in internet. As this was our first stay in Venice for more than one day we just loved our stay. We found a nice service. Good breakfast and a really nice rooms. As expected the hotel does not offer large rooms with terrace and others but thats the most lovely thing in Venice...Nice small room, warm, comforable bed, perfect bathroom. We were at the first floor and i just loved watching the laguna from my window at 3h in the morning. We had no problems with noice or anything. If you`re looking for a good hotel, good rooms, comfotable bed and a nice place to sleep while doscovering Venice and it's beauties...Vecellio is your hotel! As everything else...the location of the Hotel is great. We managed to reach from the hotel to Treviso Aeroporto in about 45min...which was simly great for NOT missing our plane ;) To San Marco is round 10min. Greetings from Bulgaria!;)

Room Tip: Well rooms that look to the laguna;)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

You get what you pay for. It's definitely a cheaper option so wasn't so surprised to see the rooms were tiny and bed was the most uncomfortable thing ever. Plus I was freezing (Venice gets so cold at night!) but there were no extra blankets and the blanket there was paper thin. We only spent 1 night there so I sucked it up.
The location is great. You take the water taxi/bus from the airport and it's like the 2nd or 3rd stop. Problem is we couldn't find it. We asked people and showed the address we were given, but no one was able to point us to the right direction. I was only able to find it because I recognized the front off of one of the pics that someone posted to TripAdvisor. The front desk was great and very friendly. But the rooms weren't all in that building by the water. We had to walk with all our luggage a few blocks away to get to another small building that I guess they own and had to figure out ourselves where the room was. No one was in that building so it was creepy, but it was fine.
All in all, it was a good choice for the money. Plus it was convenient because the water taxis were right there by the water so we were able to take them back after walking around Venice (our feet were hurting by the end!).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Now, there were lots of positives about this hotel. We stayed here for a night before travelling home. Location wise, it's right by the lagoon, so very picturesque and beautiful. Also, the manager was lovely, friendly and very helpful. However, it was so noisy!!! I cannot emphasise on this, the walls are paper thin and being on the lower floor, all we heard was the movements from above: loud conversations, trampling of feet. I am not overly picky, but the noise was awful and I had about two hours sleep. Also, the air conditioning was poor, so it was very hot and sticky. Being right on the front, on the lower floor, also meant that there was lots of hustle and bustle from outside. I really wanted to say nice things about this hotel, as the owner is so lovely. But if you do stay here, I recommend that you don't stay on the ground floor. Maybe then your experience will be a very pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank missEvb
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We read all the reviews: the hotel is incredibly convenient for the Alilaguna boat to and from the airport, the own is exceptionally helpful and friendly, the hotel is placed in a characterful part of Venice - with good cafes, restaurants and shops close by. However we believe the hotel has shrunk (and only occupies ground and first floor now) - so even a large room was quite small with no views over the lagoon. [However the lagoon did come into our bedroom with the high tide!] The boats at the landing stage were noisy throughout the night - and the restaurant across the alleyway was very noisy at closing time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank chrisdrew
Osprey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed three nights early November, 2 adults and pre-teen child. Easy location to walk to/from Rialto Bridge or St. Mark's Square areas. Must carry bags over one bridge from Fundamente Nuovo when arriving from the Airport Water Taxi Alilaguna; no bridges if using 41/42/51/52 water bus from Ferrovia train or P Roma bus stations. Read water taxi map carefully; unless you WANT the full round trip circuit around the island, or want to combine your trip to the hotel w/No. 1 Grand Canal transit. choose the clockwise routing from Stations. Hotel is a bit noisy at night, AND, in Fall the high water levels at noon can make "walking" more of a soggy disaster. Long story short, ask lots of questions and plan your arrival after the daily flooding of the Fundamente sidewalks are awash! CoOp supermarket is only 6 blocks away; open most eves until 8 PM. Billa supermarket is a 10 block walk, but has larger selection. During the day, the manager is very helpful and multilingual. Night part-time staff can be inexpert and incorrect, though. Nice breakfast daily, but if the hotel is full, you may have to wait for a table. No elevator, btw, so be forewarned. We liked Vecellio, and would stay there again in a heartbeat! The view from the windows from the waterfront rooms is divine, too! For less than $100/night for three, with breakfast, small fridge, and free Internet, this is a real Venice bargain.

Room Tip: Though noisier, waterfront "Fundamente" facing rooms are prettier. If you are a light slee...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AnAceBuyer_007
Fairview Heights, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for two nights Oct 12-13 and had a great time. We had a room in the main hotel and our family members stayed in the Annex, a short walk from the main building. Some of the reviews said they thought the activity on the waterfront was loud but we didn't have an issue with noise. The room and bathroom were on the small side but remember you are in Venice and are only in the room to sleep and change clothes. The breakfast is adequate and filling. The coffee is really good and made by Matteo himself.

Matteo is a very friendly gentleman and since he is a native Venetian he is able to direct you to where the "locals" eat and shop. We ate his friend, Tony's restaurant and it was unbelievable.

I look forward to returning to Venice and I would definitely stay with Matteo at his fine hotel. This hotel is in a great location to the Aliguana boat stop from the airport (2nd stop on the Blue Line), the Vaporetto stop is directly in front of hotel, which makes getting around the city and the getting to the train station very easy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple