“Lovely little accommodation!”

Residenza Ca' Dario
Ranked #419 of 470 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here in October 2009. We arrived late, and our keys were in an envelope on the door waiting for us. I thought this was a little strange because I was worried someone could have taken them, but it was also sweet because I liked the touch of having my name on it. It was like they were anxiously expecting us! I felt like we were in a typical Venice accommodation, it felt very homey. I didn't really like the shared bathroom, but it wasn't too bad. The breakfast was small, but it was enough to hold us until we perused the local bakeries. The view from our window was like just out of the movies. I felt like I should have hung out my clothes to dry on the line! Very lovely and quaint residence. I look forward to staying there again soon! Across from the office there is an AMAZING restaurant called Ostaria al Vecio Pozzo. Loved it! I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Residenza Ca' Dario

Reviewed September 9, 2011

We didn't sleep because of the noise from the warm water convector in the floor. The room wasn't pretty at all, very spartiat for 105 euros! The person at the reception didn't want to give us a quiet room after we asked the first time. They didn't want to give us back the money we had paid in advance for 3 days too, so we were obliged to stay!!! After we that we complained us a lot they gave us another room, a better one, but they waited till the last moment, (when i said i would complain to the reservation central). The bread at the breakfast on the second day was totally dried. There's nobody at the entrance during the night when you arrive you have to give a Phone call.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clemence C
fileok, Direttore generale at Residenza Ca' Dario, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2011

No refund are applicable on Non Refundable Bookins. And of course on cases or matter of perception: like silence or noises on rooms, or beaufiful or not beautiful rooms. Owner did not authorize any return of the money paid because they got the type of room they were looking for (double room with shared bathroom including breakfast) they stayed and paid for the 3 nights according to contract (Non refundable). No one forces a client to stay on the premises. They freely and for their personal reasons decided to stay into the other room offered on same morning. As adults they should be responsible of their decisions to stay or not to stay. We did offer best solutions possible and in literally one hour they moved floors and rooms. This is called fast service in a busy morning when place was full.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

This place is in a great location near the train station but away from the crowds of Venice. Our room was clean and nicely furnished. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2011

They charge extra money, very unpleasant staff, so many better places in Venice.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank armin98
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My friends and I booked this hotel for our weekend getaway in Venice because it seemed well-located and decently priced. While I don't regret anything, I wouldn't particularly recommend Ca' Dario to anyone, either.

We arrived to a very cold and almost disdainful reception. Don't get me wrong: I don't expect hearty guffaws and warm embraces everywhere I go, but it would be nice not to be treated like a burden when I'm being shown to my room... Unless you make up for it with free booze and cupcakes. Also, after we checked out, we came back to grab our luggage from the 'storage' and my friend asked if she could use the bathroom for a quick change of clothes before hopping on the train... Suffice to say that I've never seen a place refuse access to bathrooms for a client that just spent money to stay there.

The room itself was pretty decent. It was kept fairly clean and the beds, while not super comfortable, did the job. i think the biggest drawback is that the walls are paper-thin so anyone going to-and-from the communal bathroom would wake me up. That, combined with the fact that I had a room with a window facing the restaurant on the busy street below, didn't help me get a decent night of sleep at all. Oh... and it was infested with mosquitoes, but that seems to be a given with this kind of a place in Venice, so I won't let my being an all-you-can-eat buffet affect my review too much. :P

The popular opinion of the breakfast being terrible is something that I share. Stale croissants, old fruits and coffee from a low-quality dispenser are pretty much the only things you'll find. A breakfast of champions of I've ver seen one lol.

Guess who's never gonna go back there! This guy!

Pros:
• Very good location if you're coming in by train. Just a 5 minute walk from the station and most major bus routes
• Fairly clean

Cons:
• Terrible service. Very cold receptionist and the maid decided to clean everybody else's room but ours for some reason
• Shared bathrooms (not a huge con, just not my cup of tea)
• Paper-thin walls and very loud doors
• I know the breakfast is free but come on! lol

Overall:
I personally don't think that I need that much. If the place is fairly clean and the bed isn't falling to pieces, I'm pretty much good to go; so in that regard, Ca' Dario did what it needed to do. However, a modicum of kindness or, at the very least, professionalism would've been appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Darklyte
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I paid more for this hotel than a cheap and cheerful hostel so was hoping for the standard to reflect this. Therefore I was disappointed. The breakfast included was a coffee machine being switched on between 7 and 10am and a short supply of stale croissants. The room was very small, the bed also small and hard. The photos were misleading in this respect. The bathroom was not in amasing condition and was shared with five other rooms. The floor was dirty so that walking around with bare feet I had to vigorously brush off my feet before getting into bed. In fairness, the location was good with a nice view over a canal.

Room Tip: Plentiful dinners will be necessary.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We stayed in one of the apartments operated by Residenza Ca'Dario. We arrived by train and had to collect the keys from the main hotel (about a 5 minute walk with clear directions). The apartment was just off the main drag near to Canareggio down a little side street. There was a lovely bakery and fruit and veg shop within a few metres. The apartment was one large room with a double bed and a strange bunk sofa that the children slept on. It was really comfortable for all of us. There was a little kitchenette - fine for breakfast/pasta/sarnies but not equipped well enough to really go for it on a self catering basis. The shower was great.

What I loved most about staying here was it's location. We explored Cannareggio - an area we would possibly have ignored otherwise and it really was lovely. We found a great family restaurant with no menu - just pasta/pesto/salad/ice cream/ coffee but as it was off the main rather expensive drag it was a delight. No other tourists and next to a canal with the odd gondolier returning after a hard days work and lots of Italians milling around. Loved it. Just turn left out the apartment rather than right into the main drag - keep going until you reach a little canal - over a bridge and left again and there it is.

Venice is obviously beautiful but staying in this litle place meant that we explored another part of the city as well as all the usual tourist areas.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family