“good place”

Ranked #423 of 468 Venice B&B and Inns
Venice, Italy
“good place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

This place is in a great location near the train station but away from the crowds of Venice. Our room was clean and nicely furnished. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

They charge extra money, very unpleasant staff, so many better places in Venice.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank armin98

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

My friends and I booked this hotel for our weekend getaway in Venice because it seemed well-located and decently priced. While I don't regret anything, I wouldn't particularly recommend Ca' Dario to anyone, either.

We arrived to a very cold and almost disdainful reception. Don't get me wrong: I don't expect hearty guffaws and warm embraces everywhere I go, but it would be nice not to be treated like a burden when I'm being shown to my room... Unless you make up for it with free booze and cupcakes. Also, after we checked out, we came back to grab our luggage from the 'storage' and my friend asked if she could use the bathroom for a quick change of clothes before hopping on the train... Suffice to say that I've never seen a place refuse access to bathrooms for a client that just spent money to stay there.

The room itself was pretty decent. It was kept fairly clean and the beds, while not super comfortable, did the job. i think the biggest drawback is that the walls are paper-thin so anyone going to-and-from the communal bathroom would wake me up. That, combined with the fact that I had a room with a window facing the restaurant on the busy street below, didn't help me get a decent night of sleep at all. Oh... and it was infested with mosquitoes, but that seems to be a given with this kind of a place in Venice, so I won't let my being an all-you-can-eat buffet affect my review too much. :P

The popular opinion of the breakfast being terrible is something that I share. Stale croissants, old fruits and coffee from a low-quality dispenser are pretty much the only things you'll find. A breakfast of champions of I've ver seen one lol.

Guess who's never gonna go back there! This guy!

Pros:
• Very good location if you're coming in by train. Just a 5 minute walk from the station and most major bus routes
• Fairly clean

Cons:
• Terrible service. Very cold receptionist and the maid decided to clean everybody else's room but ours for some reason
• Shared bathrooms (not a huge con, just not my cup of tea)
• Paper-thin walls and very loud doors
• I know the breakfast is free but come on! lol

Overall:
I personally don't think that I need that much. If the place is fairly clean and the bed isn't falling to pieces, I'm pretty much good to go; so in that regard, Ca' Dario did what it needed to do. However, a modicum of kindness or, at the very least, professionalism would've been appreciated.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Darklyte
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

I paid more for this hotel than a cheap and cheerful hostel so was hoping for the standard to reflect this. Therefore I was disappointed. The breakfast included was a coffee machine being switched on between 7 and 10am and a short supply of stale croissants. The room was very small, the bed also small and hard. The photos were misleading in this respect. The bathroom was not in amasing condition and was shared with five other rooms. The floor was dirty so that walking around with bare feet I had to vigorously brush off my feet before getting into bed. In fairness, the location was good with a nice view over a canal.

Room Tip: Plentiful dinners will be necessary.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

We stayed in one of the apartments operated by Residenza Ca'Dario. We arrived by train and had to collect the keys from the main hotel (about a 5 minute walk with clear directions). The apartment was just off the main drag near to Canareggio down a little side street. There was a lovely bakery and fruit and veg shop within a few metres. The apartment was one large room with a double bed and a strange bunk sofa that the children slept on. It was really comfortable for all of us. There was a little kitchenette - fine for breakfast/pasta/sarnies but not equipped well enough to really go for it on a self catering basis. The shower was great.

What I loved most about staying here was it's location. We explored Cannareggio - an area we would possibly have ignored otherwise and it really was lovely. We found a great family restaurant with no menu - just pasta/pesto/salad/ice cream/ coffee but as it was off the main rather expensive drag it was a delight. No other tourists and next to a canal with the odd gondolier returning after a hard days work and lots of Italians milling around. Loved it. Just turn left out the apartment rather than right into the main drag - keep going until you reach a little canal - over a bridge and left again and there it is.

Venice is obviously beautiful but staying in this litle place meant that we explored another part of the city as well as all the usual tourist areas.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank MaryfromBristol
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

We booked this hotel as it was slightly cheaper than some of the other hotels and it was in a good location. I wish we'd spent more as the general discomfort and noise at night meant that we were fairly tired and grumpy in the day. The rooms are a decent size but you share a bathroom with everyone else in the apartment/hotel. You can hear everyone else in each of the rooms and you are only allowed the air conditioning on at certain times for ecologoical (not economical of course!) reasons. This meant that we were far too hot in the night. The kitchen was sometimes locked and the breakfast consisted of long life bread you could toast. We travelled from London to Istanbul and back last summer and this was the worst hotel we experienced.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelBug2609
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

We only stayed for the night. Thank god! After checking in, we carried our cases into another building (the lobby was covered in garbage and household junk); we proceeded to carry our cases to the 2nd floor and to our room, which, was huge, and yet, had no room for a bathroom! Sharing the bathroom was a bit weird considering that for the same price a couple of nights previous we were staying a Palazzo complete with en-suite. Apparently, this hotel the Ca'Dario offered the 'secret garden of Venice' which would have been great if you could go into it (which you couldn't). The air-con was noisy, but at least it was there and the creaking doors from every room on th e floor kept us awake for most of the night.
Breakfast was without doubt one of the worst things I've ever had. I felt like a backpacker again (I'm used to a bit more luxury for the price) and the kitchen was a bit smelling with food seemingly left to rot in the bin and the nearby sink. That for us, was the enduring memory: sweaty bread that we had to toast to make it edible and a capuccion in a plastic cup. Book this place at your peril!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple