“Good for the price”

Ranked #217 of 457 Venice B&B and Inns
Lund, Sweden
“Good for the price”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed here for one night and the experience was good. Room was really spacious but the shared bathroom was small. The caretaker was very helpful however there is no reception desk in this place. The caretaker left the place at around 8PM and returned next morning. So not much assistance available at night. The breakfast was pretty good. At walkable distance from Rialto bridge and the water bus stop. Can be tricky to find but the directions provided were accurate. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ashish_d_shah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ossie
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Al Palazzo Lion Morosini didn't have great reviews when I booked it but it was a pleasant surprise when I visited. Nothing in Venice is new and neither is this place.
It sits majestically right on the left hand side before Rialto Bridge coming from Piazzale Roma on vaporetto No 1.
The room was huge, bed comfortable the bathroom spottless and thats all I want in a hotel. I dragged my suitcase up 1000 stairs to reception to find I had to drag it down 1000 again inside. I had a front and back door to my room which was most convenient to accessing the street daily thereafter. My windows looked straight onto the canal with gondoliers passing by as I found out while undressing the first night.
But it was a superb position to be staying in Venice and accessable to everywhere. Breakfasts were basic but good, staff most helpful with everything.
No can't say anything was amiss with my visit.
Make sure if you are there in June/July you do the opera. Really lots of fun for even those who have never been before.Venice is expensive for accommodation, but this place is moderate in its pricing for the position and location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kerrien
London
Reviewed June 23, 2010

My friends and I decided that we wanted a quick weekend break at the end of our exams seeing as everyone else still hadn't finished their own. We arrived quite late at night and found the hotel hard to find but some happy italians directed us to it as there is a popular bar just underneath the hotel. The man who greeted us seemed rather annoyed we had arrived so late but we had sent two emails detailing that our plane would be delayed and he did not openly complain so we simply felt guilty.
The hotel room was spacious and nice. The view was of a wall but we didn't mind because during the morning we could simply step outside of the hotel and see the grand canal slap bang in front of us. It was a beautiful old building which made us feel like we were truly experiencing Venice and not a chain hotel which screams ENGLISH. The room was cleaned daily and the cleaner was extremely friendly as was another lady who was in charge of the hotel in the day named Debroah. The only problem with the hotel room was that the bathroom was incredibly small to the point we had to lean over a beeday to reach the sink and had to put an oddly placed stool in the bath for most of the day. I was the only one of my friends who chose to have a proper shower. The shower did not work and instead I ended up crouching in the bath and trying to swing my hair under the tap as their was not enough room for me to lie down and there was no plug to actually have a bath. Hence why I found it hilarious but I know my Mum would have died and immediately complained. The air conditioning also did not work.
The bar underneath the hotel was friendly and they helped us a lot with directions but they played live music till three in the morning. As we were often so tired from wondering the streets of Venice we nodded off in the evenings quite quickly but for others, once again using my mother as an example, it would have ruined the holiday.
We only realised it was a bed and breakfast on the second night but the biscuits they provided were really yummy but only if you get up around eight are you ever going to get a croissant or piece of baguette bread.
The hotel is brilliantly placed only a few seconds away from the rialto bridge and a five minute walk away (if you follow the signs don't bother using a map, far too complicated) from San Marco square. There is a supermarket inbetween where one can buy quick snacks really cheapily and the pizza and ice cream around the hotel are reasonably priced. A bar is just opposite the hotel called Barcuzzi bar? Something like that and it was brilliant fun with lovely people so in the evenings we turned it into our 'local'.
Overall, the hotel was brilliant for our sort of trip where we didn't really mind where we stayed as long as it was nice enough and in a good area. I can understand why others would find it annoying, however, and would prefer to stay somewhere else. However, I do recommend the hotel if you are staying for a long weekend or a short stay and really want to be close to the sites so you can spend as long as possible in Venice and come back safe and happy in the evenings.
In terms of Nightlife, the pub was mainly the only thing around but exploring rialto bridge at night and jumping in abandoned gondolas will be one of the most brilliant memories I will ever have. Most people do a pub crawl as there is no nightlife, however, we did see a sign to a pizza club karoke place near San Marco square which looked interesting. Wouldn't recommend if ALL you want is clubs.
Food = It's Italy. EVERYTHING was amazing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank LondonLissy
England
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We were looking forward to 4 days and 3 nights in Venice at the Al Palazzo Lion Morosini, which was reasonably easy to find (with a map) and superbly situated adjacent to the Rialto bridge and a short walk from most of the major sites, bars and restaurants. Unfortunately after paying on arrival we were shown to our room in the annexe a short way away, which was pleasant enough but had a sofa bed rather than a proper bed. We had specifically rejected a number of hotels due to them having sofa beds as these are not suitable for us (without going into detail), but to make matters even worse the foot end of the sofa bed was significantly elevated above the head end, which would have been extremely uncomfortable had we been willing to stay there. We rejected the room and were promised that when we returned a bed would be in the place of the sofa bed, which at 18:30 upon our arrival it wasn't! To make matters worse, our bags that we had left for safe keeping were left in the hallway at the unlocked reception, so anyone could have taken them! The night porter speaks no English, but with my broken Italian the message was suitably conveyed that we would not take that room. After much head scratching he showed us to another room in the annexe with a bed but without a private bathroom, which we had booked and paid for, thus we similarly rejected. The reservations book showed a number of rooms vacant but he was unwilling to put us in one of these, eventually calling the owner of the hotel who was insisting that if we wanted a bed, we would have to pay extra! I pointed out that we had booked a room with a bed to the best of our knowledge and would never pay €140 a night for a room with a sofa bed. By this time my girlfriend was in tears, which when pointed out to the hotel owner merely caused him to laugh and tell me that he was twice my age and could sleep on a sofa bed fine (he's obviously never been badly hurt when run over by a car, but then Venice doesn't have many of them...). Eventually, after refusing me a refund he agreed to waive the charge for the night for another room and we would swap the next day when a bed had been installed in the original room. Following this agreement the owner was incredibly rude to me on the telephone, but I shan't repeat what he said, I just agreed with him as by this point all I wanted was a shower, a meal and a bed for the night. This room was perfect and quite pleasant, the only concern being the security as the keys for all rooms appear to be the same and the outside door was never locked. When we came to swap rooms the following night we were told it was fine to stay in the one we had for the remainder of our trip, which was a pleasant surprise and quite agreeable. The only problem that arose thereafter was on our final morning whilst I was in the bathroom. My girlfriend opened the door to one of the staff who asked to speak to me and insisted on waiting until I finished in the bathroom. When I emerged I was presented with a bill to pay for the three nights we had spent in that room, which was not entirely unexpected (I had the measure of them by this point) but annoying all the same. I described how the cost for the first night had been waived and then how the following night the other lady had advised me that we were to stay in that room rather than move and thus I was not willing to pay. Eventually I made it clear that I was not going to pay this top-up charge and the lady left in acceptance. Unfortunately, I suspected that if we were to leave our bags with the hotel for the remainder of the day they would hold them to ransom for the top-up bill that evening when we needed to leave for our flight, a risk that I wasn't willing to take. This meant we had to leave our bags at the station baggage deposit, which though not overly expensive did involve an hour and a half in the (Italian version of a) "queue", which was an annoyance we did not need.

Overall, had we got the room with a proper bed the experience would have been fine, but the time wasted in negotiating this and the annoyance of being asked to pay a further bill on our final morning marred the entire trip. The reviews on Late Rooms seem a fairly accurate portrayal of the hotel - book with caution!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AFJ1980

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Nottingham
Reviewed August 9, 2009

The Palazzo Lion Morosini, is actually much more modest than the grandeur of its title. Since the 12th Century it has housed aristocrats, regency and us; a couple of Brits. Hardly the stuff of a romantic novel, but we found it very easy to get into the swing of Venetian life. After all, with a 'local' below the Palazzo, it's pretty hard not to watch the sunset from the private view without a Spritz in your hand.
The rooms were clean, but beware! It gets very hot in the summer and although furnished with air con and a standing fan, the rooms were were still VERY HOT AND HUMID.
The Italian staff are friendly enough but have your eyes open for the less accommodating 'duty' staff; they aren't really bothered about you and would rather you just finish your breakfast and bugger off! They also tend to hover at breakfast time which can be a little disconcerting.
Don't waste money on expensive dinners whilst in Venice. Our advice for the best night of your life is to take a 5 minute hope over a bridge to a pizza/takeaway ('asporto') and grab a cheap box of pizza slices, a couple of cans of Nastro Azzuro and a couple of Bellinis to wash it down. Sit at the pontoon at the Palazzo and.... that's it! Watch the world go by as the sun sets. The Venetians love two things alcohol and music - and the bar beneath the Palazzo offers all of that and much more. Don't worry though, when you sleep in your bed at night, you won't hear a single thing!
Viva La Serenissima!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank highstreet43
s wales
Reviewed May 27, 2008

we stayed at Lion Morosini for a weekend and loved it.

The bedroom was spacious, although the bathroom was small. It was beautifully clean, and the bed was made and towels changed each day.

Breakfast was plentiful - cereal, bread, jam, croissants etc, and would be improved by the inclusion of some fresh fruit or yoghurt.

Staff were helpful and pleasant. One of our party tested out the Grand Canal as a swimming pool (by accident!) and the staff took his clothes and washed and dried them for him.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom small
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Venice
Locanda Leon Bianco
#1 of 385 in Venice
Scalon del Doge
Scalon del Doge
#70 of 457 in Venice

Been to Lion Morosini Palace? Share your experiences!