“Highly Recommend the Al Ponte Mocenigo”

Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo
Ranked #14 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed June 8, 2006

My wife and I recently had the privelege to stay 3 nights late May at the Al Ponte Mocenigo. The hotel is without question as advertised and raved about in all previous reviews. From the time I made my reservation in early Jan 2006 to the time of our arrival I had communicated with them on occassion...and on each and every occassion all issues/questions/concert ticket reservations were handled rapidly and with the utmost professionalism.

The hotel itself is absolutely one of the most charming and well cared for small hotels I have come across. The outside courtyard was my wifes favorite outdoor space on our entire vacation, just a perfect place for breakfast or a glass or two of wine after a long day of sightseeing and before dinner. They have wine, beer and other drinks that they can serve you, but also had nothing against us bringing a bottle we had purchased from a local shop, and provided a couple of glasses for us.

I believe we had room #5 the double superior with the balcony on the canal. The room was great with what looked like 17-20 foot original wood beamed ceiling, large armoire which easily accommadated our belongings, a comfortable double bed with firm mattress and great pillows, small fridge with minibar, and absolutely huge and modern bathroom(and this is taking into consideration both European and American standards). I would also like to add that the room and bathroom were absolutely spotless....by far the best room service out of the 4 hotels we stayed at during our Italian vacation.

Either Walter & Sandro(the owners) were always present during the day time, and were there to answer any questions we might have had. One can tell that they take absolute pride in their business and want to give their guests the ultimate Venetian experience. By the way it was a very easy walk to the main tourist areas of Venice and at the same time very pleasant to get away from the hustle of bustle of those areas in the evening, open up our balcony doors and enjoy the sounds of a side canal in Venice.

Cheers to Walter & Sandro and to the Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo....HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Stayed: May 2006
15  Thank ChiTownSteve
Write a ReviewReviews (2,706)

Reviewed May 29, 2006

What a great place to stay in Venice. Just a 7 minute walk to the Rialto bridge, yet far removed from the crowds of tourists throughout Venice. This is a delightful small hotel, almost like a b & b, with a lovely garden, where, in nice weather, you can have breakfast, or relax with a glass of wine after a day of sightseeing. This is an oasis of calm and comfort away from the hustle and bustle of Venice. It is also a short walk (10-15 min) from the St, Lucia train station and a few steps from the vaporetto stop. We walked everywhere during our 5 day stay in Venice. There were a number of lovely restaurants in the area (including a Michelin 1 star). The owners, Valter and Sandro, were particularly helpful in suggesting activities and restaurants. Our room which overlooked the canal, was very comfortable and quiet. I highly recommend Al Ponte Mocenigo and wouldn't hesitate so stay there again.

7  Thank hawa
Reviewed May 24, 2006

Forget the rest. This is the secret gem in Venice, and based on the growing list of raves, the word is out. This is a great small hotel with big, beautiful rooms filled with character and taste, very large, spotless and modern bathrooms, all the amenities of a four star hotel, including mini bar, a courtyard on a canal and two charming hosts to help with anything you need. Right on the St. Stae Vaporetto stop 100 feet away down the main street there is a tiny alley with signs leading you to the hotel. Don't let that entrance bother you. It's the back way, but at least you don't have to drag your suitcases up and over any bridges. We booked into room 9, which is a large red bedroom converted from a kitchen. Beautiful and quiet, with a great bathroom. No view, but we didn't mind at all. Venice is so small, the Rialto Bridge is 5-7 minute walk and St. Marks is 5-7 minutes further, if you don't stop to shop. We loved being away from the hustle and bustle. Buon Viaggio!

7  Thank emma123
A TripAdvisor Member
evergreen, colorado
Reviewed May 16, 2006

What a Gem. I will always stay there when I go to Venice. They were complete Gentelmen. A very welcome feel. My teen age son loved this hotel. So easy to get to, and find.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2006

My sister and I have just returned following a 3 day stay and absolutely loved this hotel. I booked it following recommendations on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed.

We booked fairly last minute and subsequently got a room on the ground floor near Reception which I think had been adapted for disabled guests. The only problem with the room is that it had no view and was opposite the area where breakfast is pepared, if you are a light sleeper like myself you could easily be disturbed. The room itself was spotless, modern with a TV, hairdryer, ensuite bathroom (shower only) and a safe.

Location wise it was excellent, literally 30 seconds walk from San Stae Vaporetto stop which can have you at St. Marks Square in less than 10 mins. However the best bit is that it was away from the main tourist drag and there were many pretty areas of Venice less touristy but equally as stunning.

The hotel staff were very welcoming and couldn't do enough to help. We had fabulous weather and breakfast was served in the courtyard, this consisted of pastries, cereal, yoghurt, fruit and as many Cappucinos as you could drink!

Would totally recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Venice - don't be deceived by the 2* rating.

16  Thank Chippyqueen
Reviewed May 9, 2006

Stayed here in May of 2006, actually staying here right now! I have to say that at least up to now, this has been one of the best hotel experiences that i have had. We have just arrived from staying at the Park Lane Hotel in London and Le Meridian in Monaco and this hotel is truly amazing. It is a very short walk from the vaparetto stop and the directions we were given made this place very easy to get to.

We arrived at 8:30 in the morning, obviously too early to check in and we were able to leave our bags, which were later brought to our room, given a map of the area (a very nice map showing exactly where the hotel is so that you can't get lost) and given directions to the fish and produce market. This was a very interesting market, which i would recommend that you do not miss. We had lunch and returned at approximately 1:00, our room was ready and our bags were already in it.

The bathroom in our room exceeded what we had at both the Park Lane hotel (London) and Le Meridian (Monaco). The room is well decorated and the bed is comfortable.

We will be back to Venice, and next time for an extended vacation. When we are back we will be back at this hotel. I will be sure however to book this in advance, because it appears to book up quite fast.

14  Thank scott73
Reviewed April 29, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days in April along with our baby son, my Mum and brother.

The Hotel is in a great location only a few hundred yards from the Stan Stae Vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal so is very convenient for getting around easily. We took a private water taxi from the airport, which wasnt the cheapest way of arriving but a very comfortable one!

We had requested a triple room for us, and a double each for my Mum and Brother, with a request for my Mum's to be accessible without too many steps. Our room (no 9) was a beautifully decorated and very spacious grand looking triple room, with a high beamed ceiling and one of the cleanest bathrooms I've ever seen in a hotel.

Mum had a beautiful spacious double room (no 1), again with a beamed ceiling and a massive bathroom. It was located on the ground floor, just near reception, so exactly what she wanted.

My brother had room 2, which was smaller than the others but again to a really high standard and ideal for him.

Breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice, and the courtyard is a lovely setting. The staff were all brilliant - really helpful and polite and like all the others reviewers say, Sandro and Marco were the perfect hosts.

There are some very good restaurants and shops close by, and the neighbourhood is really interesting and typically venetian. The hotel is also perfectly located for exploring on foot with the Rialto 10 minutes away (and thats going slowly with a pushchair) and St. Marks another 5-10 after that.

We'd definitely make this our first choice place to stay in Venice and it is faultless - it's certainly to a higher standard than the majority of 4-star hotels I've stayed in in the UK, but with the added bonus of Italian Venetian style.

• Stayed: April 2006