“Joseph Martin at Gran Caffe Chioggia”

Gran Caffe Chioggia
Ranked #36 of 72 Nightlife in Venice
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went here to see him for the third year in a row at this cafe and hope to see him again this September. He is a super wonderful musician and it just would not be Venice without us going to hear him play again. Last May we broke down and actually sat at a table. I think we were the only 2 people sitting everyone else was just standing around watching. We ordered 2 cappuccinos and water came with it and asked the waiter how much it would cost first. It was in the evening and we paid 20 euros for 2 and the water. We stayed as long as we wanted and no one tried to make us buy more. The waiter was friendly. The year before we had purchased Mr. Martins 4 CD set for 20 euros and worth every penny. Last year we brought it back and asked him to sign it for us. He is super friendly and afterwards he waved at us each time he saw us. Can't wait to enjoy him again in September!

All reviews
"saint"
"scenery"
"concert"

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our hotel offered a voucher for coffee/cake, or spritz/crisps for 7 euros per head - pretty reasonable for a cafe on the edge of the square (opposite Doge's Palace) - great for a spot of people watching

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Me and my boyfriend were looking for a nice café near Piazza San Marco to have an espresso and a juice but most of them were closed by the time we arrived. We decided to go to Caffe Chioggia. We ordered an orange juice, one espresso, one capuccino and water. The juice was a tiny bottle juice, not fresh. There was only us and another couple sitted indoors. When we asked the bill, we were in shock, € 37,5, completely beyond from what we expected. Besides, the atmosphere is decadent, a typical tourist trap...

2  Thank Renata B
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Your don't go to the Gran Caffe Chioggia with the expectation of grabbing a quick drink. This is an experience to be savored - and @ 18EUR a drink, you'd best take your sweet time savoring the experience! The drinks are classics, the house orchestra is phenomenal, and I think the view with vistas of St. Mark's, the Campanile, the Doge's Palace abd the Venetial lagoon - make this the bar to beat.

But the orchestra! Oh! The orchestra! They are sensational! They can (and will!) play anything from Italian cinema classics (Morricone, Rota, etc) to Italian arias, to gypsy-swing to Sinatra. You can easily spend the better-part of an evening enjoying the show - and I highly suggest you do!.

3  Thank stevie8
See more reviews
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Okay, okay, I didn't want to spend the money but I really wanted to listen to the music because they had a clarinet, piano, bass, and sax. The evening before I had walked by and a simply terrific violinist had drawn a crowd in addition to that in the restaurant. He had been playing opera titles. I knew it was going to be ridiculously overpriced, but when you take into consideration that you are sitting within, perhaps, 20 feet of the band/small orchestra, it is worth it. To me it was, anyway.

Most of what is offered on the menu may be drinks and ice cream. The dishes for more substantial food were few: Hot dog, panini, and little more. The gelato creations would capture the heart of any child (no matter what age) and be perfect at any birthday party. And while the drinks are very expensive, they are not paltry. (Ummm and please don't forget the orchestra.)

Such hits as "Lady Be Good," "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina," and "Mack the Knife" wafted over the humid piazzetta, while we cooled down with our drinks. An older couple from Washington, D.C. playfully danced for a minute. A German couple behind me asked me to take their picture. We watched the ships and vaporetti, and strollers go by, and little ones chase a pigeon or two. I wrote several postcards.

The service was "s l o w" for this New Yorker but was to be expected. Who's in a hurry here, anyway?

Ham & cheese on white bread, no crusts, warm: €9.80 (certainly not the best I've had, but not the worst, either)
Coke Light: €9.80 (yep! Scandalous, I know. Remember the band!)
1 Spritz (the waiter asked if I wanted Aperol. How nice that he asked and didn't assume): €13.80.

TOTAl: €33.40

I confess i would do it again the next time I'm in Venice.

1  Thank LizzieandIzzy