See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 23, 2008

I was by mysellf and I went to Venice on one of the many days when the Venice airport was in strike. I arrived to Venice by bus at midnight since my flight was cancelled. After attempting several ways to get to the hotel, I was left in the canal by a water taxi who charged $100.00 to get me close to the hotel. After walking around, I finally found it, thanks to a picure that I saw in the Trip Advisor of the Leonardo hotel which is located next to the Ariel Silva. I really appreciate the person who provided the picture. The staff was not friendly and the owner was even rude. I was disappointed since I had been in Venice before and my previous experience was terrific.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank texastaino
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stayed in Ariel Silva in september 2008. We didn´t know what we should expect, but we were surprised when we saw the hotel. It is very close to the station Santa Lucia, not easy to find it for first time, just because the streets are so narrow there. But the reception is so wondeful. Like the couple who owned the place. We were surprised that we have another accommodation, not exactly in the hotel but 10 minutes far from there. It was still very close to the station and to the "main street" anyway. The room was nice, clean and the bathroom was excellent. It was the cheapest hotel I´ve found in Venice, but it overcame my expectations. I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2008

We didn't come with high expectations, but overall the stay was positive. We stayed in the apartment 4 bridges away, near the McDonalds. The hotel is a bit difficult to find, and the website does not give very good directions. (I will post detailed directions on a tripadvisor forum to help others in the future.) In the meantime, on a map, find and get to Rio Tera S. Leonardo (street) and find the Hotel Leonardo sign (see photos), and go down that street, Calle De La Masena.

The staff speak limited english, but can get their point across and are reasonably friendly. We paid 85 Euros a night, which was the lowest rate we could find for our time frame. We were advised by e-mail prior to coming that we would be staying in their apartment, which according to them was 5 minutes walk away. This might be true not accounting for carrying luggage over 4 bridges and fighting hordes of tourists. It's closer to 10-12 minutes walk. But much easier is getting on the #1 vaporetto at the San Marcuola stop, and getting off 2 stops later at Ca' D'Oro. I wish they would have told us this, as we had 48hour (highly reccommended) vaporetto passes, and its a 2 minute trip on the vaporetto, and the apartment is 2 minutes from the vaporetto stop, and no bridges to cross with luggage. Sooo much easier. # 1 comes every 10 minutes.

The apartment is easy to find from Ca' D'Oro stop. Basically walk straight forward, cross the street (Strada Nova), quick zigzag, and you're there. Good location, there's a trendy little seafood/pasta restaurant below which was always packed, but that can mean noise late at night and early in the morning. But good food. For those wanting a taste from home, McDonalds around the corner. The room was up one flight of stairs, no elevator. Through a heavy door, (good for security). Bathroom was shared with one other room but very clean and functional. Hot water takes a few minutes though. Room for two is two beds pushed together. No safe in the room though. But the bed was made each morning for us, which we didn't expect given the class of hotel and location of apartment, a pleasant surprise. Small room, no TV (but you're in Venice, who needs TV). Be warned, the mosquitoes at night are like vampires. I woke up with at least 6 bites on my face/neck each morning, so either close the windows or apply bug spray.

Breakfast is very simple and cheap, they don't spend much money on it. They serve a white roll each, a 2 pack of bread crackers (available at the supermarket up the street, 40 for ~1.5 euros) a packet of jam and butter, and a jam-filled croissant (again available at the supermarket, box of 6 for ~1.5 euros). However on the bright side, they will happily make you a cappucino or hot chocolate. The setting is pleasant, kind of quaint, and they don't mind if you stroll up at 9:55 (breakfast finishes at 10) they were quite accomodating for us. If you want better breakfast, buy it yourself at the nearby supermarket (across 1 bridge).

Overall, if you can get a reasonable rate, and don't mind simple accomodation, its worth a stay. Location great, once you figure it out, vaporettos make getting around Venice very easy.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Global-Reporter
Reviewed July 5, 2008

I stayed in the Hotel Ariel Silva for one night in late June. I was pleasantly suprised after reading some not so good reviews. The hotel is down a narrow alley and we did pass it the first time. The hotel staff were friendly and welcoming. The hotel was the cheapest that I could find in Venice at that time of year, but the hotel rooms were clean. We had A/C (which we very much appreciated in the heat!) and an en-suit bathroom. There was no tv in the room and there were no extras, but this didn't bother me at all. The rooms were on the small side, but the beds were fairly large and comfortable. The breakfast was not huge, pre-packaged toast, a white roll and a croissant, but it was just fine. They make a good cappuccino there as well. I would stay again when I'm in Venice. For the price and location it's well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We stayed for one night and had a nice clean bedroom on the main floor (off the breakfast room), with a shared bathroom. The breakfast was rather minimal, ..... more of those (dreadful!) white rolls with jam and butter. Also tea, coffee or hot chocolate.
To find the hotel was a bit of a challenge, as it's down an incredibly narrow street.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple