“amazing value and a fantastic stay!”

Locanda delle Acque
Ranked #169 of 468 Venice B&B and Inns
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“amazing value and a fantastic stay!”
Reviewed February 12, 2007

Something must have changed at this hotel! I made my booking through the Venere website on the back of some good customer reviews but got rather concerned when I ventured onto Trip Advisor for some more information and found it to be rather poorly rated.

I needn't have worried. The stay was fantastic! Having arrived in Venice late in the evening due to flight delays a quick call to Carlo ensured we were given precise directions for the vaporetto which took us to Rialto where we were met in person and shown the way to the Locanda. Having booked the Suite it was a trek up several flights of stairs to the "penthouse" (hehe).

The suite itself is on two levels - the lower having a large sofa, table, chairs and bathroom with (small) shower - the upper, reached by a stone staircase being the bedroom with a door onto the private rooftop terrace. Although far from cutting edge design the Locanda is comfortable, private and very roomy, The terrace has a lovely view across the Venetian rooftops and down to the adjacent canal.

Breakfast was brought to our room at 8:15 in the morning each day (precisely the time we had requested) and consisted of fresh coffee, croissants, rolls etc. Not haut cuisine but nevertheless the ideal thing to start a day in Venice.

Location wise it couldn't be better situated being in a quiet street just five minutes from both St.Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge.

All in all I couldn't have asked for more. If you're looking for big flashy hotels with room service on tap and a swimming pool then this is not for you but if you're looking for a private, quirky and unique bolthole in Europe's most romantic city then book with confidence..... and be sure to ask for the suite!

• Liked — quirky, intimate and private accomodation
  • Disliked — nothing whatsoever!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JonStroud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2006

When searching for accomodation in Venice I was recommended these people - I found them very helpful and Carla met us at the Rialto stop and took us directly to our room we only waited about 5 mins. The room was clean and breakfast was more than adequate, that being juice, tea/coffee and fresh croissants, biscuits and hot toast and condiments.
We could not complain about the service and the location was fantastic on a lovely little street with beautiful shops and close by to all the sightseeing. Would stay again. Thanks!

• Liked — Close to sightseeing
  • Disliked — no lift
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Moosegal
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 22, 2005

The hotel is extremely well located and not too expensive. However, the webiste is very deceptive and you'll hardly have your expectations fulfilled when you check in.
Our room was not cleaned and our brekfast was served at a nearby cafeteria where we were given just a cup of tea with some packaged cookies. What they offer as a free visit to Murano is just an embarassing ride on boat belonging to a chic Venetian hotel (just before boarding, the "guide" warned us that, if someone had asked us where we were staying, we should have replied that we were staying at this chic hotel instead of simply admitting where we at Locanda delle Acque!). And it's just a single boat ride, so you have to find our way back ourselves by public transportation.
Being Italian, I am ashamed that my beautiful country allows such hotels to be up and running!

• Stayed October 2004
6 Thank colbuck
Locanda_Acque, owmer at Locanda delle Acque, responded to this review, January 29, 2008
Buffalo, Ny
Reviewed July 12, 2005

I would have given 0 stars if I could have.

My husband and I tentatively reserved their apartment for our family for May, 2005; we did give them our credit card number to "hold" the apartment, but told them we were unsure, since back then, in January 2005, USAir was possibly going out of business, and we had reservations (freq flier) on that airline. Also, they hadn't given my their cancellation policy, which I asked for. Cristina assured me she would try to "hold" the room, but I should let her know my plans. After asking 2 or 3 more times for their cancellation policy, she did tell me it; after that, I told her by email that her cancellation policy was too restrictive, and that I could not commit to her apartment.

I thought that was the end of it. We booked another hotel, which had a reasonable cancellation policy, and had a great time.

Imagine my surprise when, 2 days after we returned from Venice, I was billed for the ENTIRE AMOUNT!!! I tried to email Cristina, and call, and she never answered! I finally put in a dispute with my credit card company, but they have been unable to contact these crooks either; I fear we will be out the entire amount, even though I have copies of all the emails. My credit card company states that since she never answered me after my last email, they can't prove I cancelled, even though I have the email that says I did!

Stupid me, to not have asked for a confirmation of my cancellation! BUT, these people appear to have NO morals. Don't DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!! You have been warned.

Stayed May 2005
6 Thank judystone
Locanda_Acque, owner at Locanda delle Acque, responded to this review, January 29, 2008
Reviewed May 30, 2005

I've stayed in some fleabag hotels and guesthouses over the years, and probably will again in the future, however never again will I be duped into paying Euro 130 a night for one!!!

These guys just have not come to grips with what's required to run a friendly establishment - how could they, they're not even on-site to receive comments. The room was adequate in a spartan-chic sort of way, the bathrooms were hopeless, the service ranged from woeful to non-existent and even in the city which turns the feeding to tourists of crap touristy food into a competitive pastime, these guys managed to stuff up breakfast (!!!) in memorable fashion.

Until the management (and I use that word loosely) take a little more CARE with this establishment, they're going to have to rely on unwitting fools like me stumbling in rather than expecting repeat or positive word-of-mouth business.

So I'm not falsely accused of rampant negativity, it was in a convenient spot. I'd love to find more things to be positive about but I simply cannot.

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank Wes G
sydney
Reviewed March 19, 2005

Our 3 day stay in Nov 2004 was marred by the rather unbusiness like attitude of Cristina 'forgetting' the internet rate that was offered on our reservation. Unfortunately I had not taken a copy of the email and paid 100 Euros per night, way in excess of the 60 Euros offer that I had taken up some months earlier. I emailed her on our return but I am still awaiting a response!
Nevertheless Venice was a great experience and the accommodation was modern and extremely clean. Breakfast was excellent. Recommended but don't forget to bring along your booking details in hard copy.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank clarky
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2005

Had high hopes after reading their website's description of the hotel's top floor suite with a terrace. They were able to accomodate a very late check-in but instead of bringing us to the hotel which we had booked through email, we were in a room off-site with the same amenities. Later we were told that our suite had been booked by another group after we made our reservation... rather dodgy. The hot water didn't function at all for the first night, but the room was pleasant and clean with a great terrace.

When we arrived we were told that the hotel was completely booked and they were too busy to serve us breakfast! Although we had paid for breakfast for 5 with the room, Cristina then argued that our supposedly upgraded room would not include the meal. She also refused to refund us the amount. After we argued, she finally agreed to offer individually packaged breads and spreads in the fridge for our one remaining morning. A far cry from "breakfast served on your private terrace overlooking Venice" as promised.

The "inclusive private boat trip to Murano Island" was simply a staff member who showed us where public transportation picked up tourists headed for Murano and charged 6 euro each. The hotel's private boat (which we doubt exists at all) was said to be out of order, yet they still would not compensate us for the water bus fare. We were told that it wasn't a big deal because they normally only provide a one-way trip to the island, leaving their guests stranded to pay for the return on public boats, as if that was supposed to make us feel like this place was more legitimate! To pacify our group, they said that an English-speaking guide would meet us on Murano to show us around. Also untrue.

There was no maid service at all - beds were not even made.

The good things about this place were that the room was well-equipped and had a great location. However, dealing with the staff was a constant struggle, and they refused to honor commitments made with the reservation even when we produced a printed copy our confirmation email. To be honest, I was worried my luggage might disappear while in their care.

• Stayed March 2005