“Watching glass blowing”

Ranked #17 of 304 Shopping in Venice
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Reviewed May 29, 2014

What a great sight to see something so beautiful appear before your eyes with such precision. Yes I bought a glass & some clocks made of Murano glass,

3  Thank QuickCatII
There are newer reviews for Vecchia Murano

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Murano Glass Factory is amazing! It was very interesting to see a glassblower make a vase and a horse! As you walk through the gallery, there are so many things to look at, I couldn't take it all in in the time allotted. While there was a little sales pressure to buy, I bought what I wanted and what I could afford and I am so happy that I did. The vase and the bowl were shipped to my house within three weeks and they were packed very, very well. I also bought three necklaces and my daughters are absolutely thrilled with their beauty and good quality.

If you are in Venice and have the opportunity to go out on the island, I would suggest paying a few more Euros for what is guaranteed as the finest glass ever. If you walk through the shops of Venice, there is a good chance that while you might get a good deal, you won't be getting real Murano Glass.

1  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed May 28, 2014

As part of our tour with the group Florence for Fun, we went to the Murano Glass factory. I was so impressed by the tour...I felt like we were sneaking in to the factory as the door to get in is so small and if you didn't know it was there you would miss it!
There is a huge jade horse in the lobby that is so beautiful and intricate.
We were lead in to a room where a glass maker spoke about how he was from a long line of glass makers and while he talked he made a cat.
The whole time our glass maker made items, the interpreter told us how the glass is made and heated and the whole process.
Eventually we were led to a room where all the items are sold and everyone had a chance to look around before they broke off and did their own thing.
Not once did we feel pressure to purchase anything, although I did because that was the whole point of my trip to the factory: to get a matching necklace for the bracelet my grandmother had lost on her trip some 15 years ago.

3  Thank Angelica C
Reviewed May 25, 2014

After reading all the reviews regarding the glass tour we were a little sceptical about going. Our hotel suggested to go there, free taxi ride etc. We told him we didn't want to be pressured and he told us that they did that in the past but not anymore, too many complaints and it was bad for business and for the hotel. So we went. Our hotel also gave us a map of the island and suggested we also go to Burrano (famous for lace) As expected we went in a very nice taxi, arrived at the glass blowing place, shown personally how they blow glass, shown into the showroom, no pressure to buy anything. We we said thank you after not buying anything, the salesman gave us a map of the island marked where other glass demonstrations can been seen plus some churches and landmarks and marked where we can get the bus to the other island. We walked around a bit, there were lots of family shops and yes we ended up buying a reasonably piece of handcrafted glass, jug, signed by the artist and with the Murano label. We went onto Burrano island and had a wonderful time there looking at the lace shops and brightly coloured houses. We found a little snack shop run by a young fellow who made us a pizza large enough for 2 and a bottle of coke 7euro. Cheapest lunch we have had since coming to Italy. I recommend going.

7  Thank donnav484
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This Murano glass factory should be avoided. You will be brought to an area where a so called master glass maker demonstrates how glasses are made while a salesman will be with you the whole time of the presentation. After the demonstration you will then be accompanied by him to the second floor where there is a vast collection of glass pieces. If you seem not to be interested in purchasing you may check the other smaller pieces on the ground floor. There, i bought a watch which cost me 50 euros. A small elephant shaped glass cost 20 euros and the Christmas glass decor cost 15 euros. When I left the shop and checked on the other stores, I found exactly the same watch at a store named "Commerciale Oball due" for only 20 euros!!! Do not buy in this store unless you are willing to pay for something you can get way cheaper in other stores. It's highway robbery!

11  Thank Happy T