“Brilliant for a base to explore Venice”
Review of Hotel Mignon

Hotel Mignon
Ranked #152 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel (27th - 30th April 2011) having booked a superior room.

Location - easy to find from the vaporetto stop (Ca d'oro'), near a small but lively square and very close to a calle with lots of shops and restaurants. There is also a supermarket less than 10 mins walk down the calle which is handy for buying bottles of water and snacks (and cheaper than buying in cafes). 5 minute walk to the Rialto and easy to get to S. Marco square. About 5 minute walk to the vaporetto that takes you to Burano & Murano.

Room - Very basic - double bed, wardrobe, dressing table, TV. We had room no.1 which also had a seperate single bed. There is a safe in the wardrobe, just ask at reception for a key for it. Beds were ok - we slept well. Yes, the double bed consisted of 2 singles with a double sheet over them but we didn't notice this until the second night and it didn't affect the sleep quality. A couple of negatives about this particular room: 1. the room was very dark but as we were on the ground floor facing a narrow calle this is to be expected. 2. The TV didn't work but who goes to Venice to watch tv anyway?!

We booked the superior which basically means you get a bath as well as a shower. Bathroom was spacious and clean and seperated from the bedroom by a small area rather than the door opening onto the bedroom.

Breakfast - I disagree with the previous post about breakfast being over very early in the morning...breakfast was 8am - 10am every morning. Maybe the last reviewer was up and out before 8am? If you're not up to have breakfast before 10am in a place like Venice then shame on you!

Overall this is what I would expect from a 2* hotel having stayed in different accomodations in Italy previously (hostels up to 4*). Given the cost of staying in Venice the hotel was reasonable and staff friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheOnlyWay

Reviewed April 29, 2011

The location of this hotel was amazing, about 5 minute walk to the Rialto Bridge and 15 mins to St Marks Square.
Initial reaction to the room was disappointment. Although a budget hotel, you do expect cleanliness if not amazing decor. The bathroom was old, badly needed a refurb, with ingrained dirt in the edges of tiles. Very unhappy with that. The water was not hot at any time of the day, the shower was dirty and mouldy. Toilet roll was like sandpaper! The toilet and bidet were right next to each other, and throughout our 4 day stay our rooms were never once cleaned.
Our room was very small (the bed took up all the space) but it did have a little terrace. There is no view from the terrace, except of a brick wall so don't expect anything major! Although having paid for a double bed, we were given 2 single beds pushed together, for a couple that is never a nice thing! The duvets smelled really dodgy so we didn't use them and instead just used the white cotton sheets. Even the pillows smelled weird so we covered those with sheets too! The bed was very uncomfortable, springs everywhere and just plain horrible.
Breakfast was over very early in the morning, we missed it each time unfortunately.
On the other hand, the staff were very helpful in terms of directions and advice. The location would be the only positive reason for staying in this hotel, and we've now decided that we'd rather stay further out in a nicer hotel than sacrifice comfort for time-saving!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VivaKeenTraveller
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This hotel was seriously amazing! I highly recommend it; the staff was extremely, extremely helpful and friendly, the breakfast was good, and the rooms were really great! For the last night I had to stay at another hotel in the same area, and it really did not compare and was even more expensive. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!
Also, I didn't realize it at the time but not all hotels have 24 hour reception.. this was great since my friend and I liked to explore around. The decor of the rooms were really great too.. I never really feel the need to write reviews for anything but this hotel really exceeded my expectations!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dahliaflowers
Reviewed February 24, 2011

My friend and i had a great stay here as the staff were very helpful and nice and helped us when we needed anything(internet, directions etc.). it is very near to rialto and san marco so the location is excellent. i would definately recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rimka90
Reviewed October 29, 2010

The hotel staff were great. I loved coming in after a long day of sight-seeing and having my room lights on. It made my stay seem more personal somehow. No chocolate on the bed, but this is a 2*. I liked the location--quiet but easy to walk to all the sights. Everything was clean, the breakfast was simple (2 croissants, some other breads, jam, some cereals available along with coffee or tea), and the desk clerk helped me book a walking/gondola/museum tour which was great fun. Would I stay here again? I'd probably look elsewhere first--I ended up here because I was late booking and had trouble finding a centrally located hotel within my budget. But I wouldn't mind if this is where I ended up again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank bailey550
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I spent two nights at Hotel Mignon in early September. Traveling by myself I had a single room on the third floor - no lift, but no problem. The room was cute, and small of course, but it's a single in Venice so I was expecting that. My suitcase fit easily inside the wardrobe and there was plenty of room for me to do what I needed to do. There was even a small fridge in the room along with a small desk and chair. Air conditioning worked well overnight. Bathroom was clean but tiny. I never sat for breakfast but took a croissant to go...they were quite tasty.
The room and the hotel were very quiet and easy to find if you use the map they give you on their website. Restaurants right outside the door on a relatively quiet square, but only a 5 minute walk from the Rialto. It's about a 15 minute walk from the train station, too. It's right in the middle of the city, so its pretty easy to get to everything.
Staff was helpful and very nice. One night I did find a large bug climbing the wall of my room and ran downstairs. Even though the attendant did not know the word "bug" in English, he ran right upstairs and got rid of it for me.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank daliaflower
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I found Hotel Mignon a charming little hotel which perfectly serves the purpose of an avergage budget stay in Venice. The location is just perfect, just around the corner of a the not so touristy square (Campo SS Apostoli) and the wide and spacious Strada Nova, 3-4 minute walk to the busy Rialto bridge, idem to the nearest Vaporetto stop (Ca' d'Oro) and about 10 min. to St. Mark's Square.

I booked a single room which was quite small but had everything in it one would need, including a cabinet with safe, a little desk and a chair, a little clean bathroom and even a tv. I had a chance to peek in the double room nextdoor which was very nice and spacious. My view wasn't spectacular but you would be awakened by the church bells nextdoor which really has a charm to it.

The breakfast is simple but perfectly serves the purpose of getting you going in the morning. The staff is friendly and decent, no surprises at the reception desk when you're paying your bill. The hotel offers wifi internet connection which works great - for 1 hour you'd pay 5 euros for 20 hours 10 euros (the credits stay valid for a few months), which is not expensive as in internet cafe's you'd pay 3,50 euros for half an hour. (I-nt cafe is by the way just around the corner.)

Overall, it is a nice hotel with a friendly atmosphere and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a nice and decent place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo