“location only”
Review of Hotel Belle Epoque

Hotel Belle Epoque
Ranked #190 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The quadraple room was very very very very small and we had no space to move around the room .We had to virtually walk over the bed to go to the bathrooom.There was not even space to arrange our luggage.Breakfast was very bad and internet had to be paid for.Receptionists were not helpful .Hotel could certainly improve as far as cleanliness and renovation are concerned.
The only thing we appreciated is the location....just a short walk from the vaporetto stop, the train station and the bus station

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Well it is Venice so if you want to stay in the latest refurbished hotel this is not for you but if you want to stay in a true Venetian Hotel then this place ticks the boxes. The Hotel and rooms have a typical Venetian feel to them, are spacious enough and then have modern contemporary ensuite. Price wise and all things considered it is great value for what generally can be an expensive city. If asked... I would say that I would stay here again.
I had read a review that the staff were abrupt but we stayed for a couple of days and experienced 3 different staff members and each one was very helpful. Great young lady on reception who rang up places to try and book us into tours and gave great recommendations on which ones were a rip off and which ones where of value.
Location wise I thought it was great. It's less that a five minuted walk to the main train station, which was great for us as we arrived by train, and then out the front of the station are all the water bus stops for straight down the main canal. The street the hotel is on has some great shopping and fantastic authentic Italian restaurants so get lost for a day in the side streets.
Hotel breakfast was more than adequate to get you going for the day.
Now there is one thing I highly recommend you see and that is on the ground floor bathroom the handbasin is an aquarium. Worth a photo for a laugh.
Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: I think If you are elderly then there are lifts but I would suggest not staying on the top floor as...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank APHW
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Hotel Belle Epoque is a great choice if you want to be close to the train station. We were spending one night there - and had to be at the cruise terminal the next day at noon. Check in was slow and the gentleman that works nights is not particularly pleasant. The desk was VERY busy - and I had to wait several times to try and get a wifi code (a small charge for this as well) They were in no rush to get you checked in - but the phone started ringing in our room by 11:05 am for check out! The rooms were very clean, and decorated for garishly - but were nice and very "venice!" We had two twin beds and a hideabed for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. It was just fine for us - the bathroom was very nice. We did not have the breakfast so can't comment on that. In the morning - it took us about 20 min to walk to cruise. Overall - Venice is very expensive - we felt this room was a good value for where we needed it to be. With canadian conversion - the room was $240.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Havekidswilltravel71
Reviewed July 28, 2012

When I arrived I'be been informed that my room was unavailable due some hidraulic problem I was sent to a worse hotel (Hotel Spagna) where I had to climb stairs (two floors) with no help with all my luggages. Next day I returned to the hotel and they finally gave me a room. When I complained that was unfair to pay for a hotel and receive a worse one they just said that the manager was not available and they couldn't offer anything. When I insisted they confessed that actually there was no hidraulic problem but a overbook, said that this is very common and I should feel luck to get a hotel so close. Then I wrote down a complain to the manager. Two weeks now. No answer. Horrible Experience. It's a great scam because just a few people are reallocated per day so their global evaluation isn't so low as it should be. Are you feeling lucky?

5  Thank Eduardo_Aguiar
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Very bad place... Room was old, smelly, full of flying and biting creatures,( please take anti insect spay or something with you, if staying at this place, really ) decor was looking good some 30 years ago, now it's not that impressive, I shall say.. Breakfast very poor, After 3 days of staying there, we just didn't eat it anymore ( cappucino and a croissant would be your best option ) Reception staff - Ok, but no more than that! only good thing was location, very close to coach/ train station, but would not stay here again and would never recommend to anyone
Venice was great, anyway!!!!!!!

1  Thank serg i
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My short stay at the Belle Epoque was pleasant, the breakfast buffet was good in its variety, and it was very enjoyable to receive cuppucino along w the pastries. I felt personally that the hotel staff could afford to be a little more friendly, I was made to feel like an imposition in his computer time a couple of times when I needed the reception staff's attention and assistance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Pros:
We stayed here July 2012. We were coming in and going out of the train station and this is literally right beside it - 50 meter walk so very convenient.

Lovely decor in the reception area. En suite was very nice. Decor is old school with fabric wallpaper.

Cons:
Losses a point as the bed was twin beds put together but not uncomfortable.

Staff were generally good but one gentleman could have been friendlier but that kind of thing does not really bother us - he was a small bit rude to one of the other guests.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Conor P