“the best Venice has to offer”
Review of Bauer Palazzo

Bauer Palazzo
Ranked #70 of 385 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“the best Venice has to offer”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Top hotel in all respects: discreet service, always there but never intrusive, knowledgeable and helpful staff, tastefully decorated and very comfortable rooms (the Grand Canal view rooms are by far the best) superb menu so well prepared I cannot remember dining better anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: choose Grand Canal view rooms if possible, The noise of the canal boats, while part of the ambiance...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank desertmania
BauerHotels, Manager at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a beautiful review of your stay.
I will be sure to share your applause with the members of our Team Members and look forward to the pleasure of your continued patronage.

Yours Faithfully

Resident Manager IL PALAZZO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located in a 18th C. palace, features 35 deluxe double rooms and 40 suites.
Most overlooking the canal or with a view on the city of Venice and on St Mark's Basin. Each room is unique and individually adorned, sumptuously refined with antique furnishings or reproductions of genuine Venetian fabrics from Rubelli and Bevilacqua and Murano glass chandeliers by Seguso and Cenedese. Bathrooms are decorated in Italian marble and some have whirlpools.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank aexcell
BauerHotels, Direttore at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, January 14, 2017
thank you for your extensive feedback on your stay at Bauer Palazzo
We highly appreciated your comments and the entire Team is delighted to know that the experience was up to your expectation.
We really look forward to welcome you back, please do not hesitate to contact us for any futher information.

Paris
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This old palace is perfectly locates (few minutes walk from St. Marks Square, La Fenice, Musica a Palazzo..).
The Bauer is really a special place and the staff makes you feeling you are special.
I celebrated my birthday in Venice and stayed with friends at the Bauer Il Palazzo and everything was just perfect.

The small cozy lobby-level lounge has a wonderfully relaxed library ambiance with tea, water and spumente. The ideal venue for waiting the water taxi.

Having breakfast at Settimo Cielo overlooking la Salute is just heaven on earth… Though the weather was cold and unfortunately the terrace was not open, the view was a pure delight.

The beautiful rooms have high stucco ceilings. I had a lovely room on the 2nd floor with both a view on the rio de S. Moisè, and part of the Grand Canal.

The bathrooms are wonderful with toiletries by Santa Maria degli Angeli.

The bed linens are just AMAZING.

Thanks to the Bauer, the great concierge and the whole team, I had an unforgettable birthday… Un sogno da Venezia… Grazie Mille

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully appointed. Take a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MicheleParis
BauerHotels, Manager at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.
It was very gracious of you to compliment our facilities, staff and service at IL PALAZZO.
Please rest assured that your kind compliments have been passed on to our Team Members
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at IL PALAZZO in the years to come!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Bauer Il Palazzo is located well at the beginning of the Grand Canal and very close to San Marco. The Bauer Il Palazzo is the 300 year old hotel located on the canal and connected to the newer (100 year old) Bauer. Unfortunately, it rained all the time that we were there, otherwise the terrace would have been a lovely location to take advantage of. I was there to celebrate my daughter's 18th birthday with her, so it was great to be upgraded to a suite - albeit that we were located overlooking the alley, so no view at all, but the suite was very spacious and comfortable with 2 bathrooms. We also received a surprise and complimentary bottle of Prosecco on my daughter's birthday. The amenities in the bathroom were good, but I would have appreciated hair conditioner and had to go out and buy my own. The hotel may have provided it had I asked, they were very good and very obliging with everything else - adaptor plugs, moving my daughter's bed into the living room area etc. The only thing I was disappointed about was that each time I asked advice from the concierge about sight seeing, I seemed to get ripped off. We had wanted to visit Ca'd'Oro, which we ultimately found was only a free canal bus ride away, but he persuaded us to visit a Murano glass factory instead. We were told that we had to get a private boat there at 90 Euros, although the factory would transport us back free of charge. The next day we popped into a glass shop right next to the hotel and noticed a sign advertising factory trips, when I enquired how much this was I was told that of course it was free....transport included. I suspect that concierge was getting a cut in the private boat trip, otherwise he surely would have advised me to go to the shop and get a free trip. Similarly, when I asked about visiting San Marco, I was advised that we would short cut the queues if we took a tour guide at 70 Euros an hour with a minimum of 2 hours. We took this advice, and whilst the tour guide was delightful and very informative, we did not avoid the queues and the bill at the end was 275 Euros. Somehow again I felt that I had been ripped off and that the concierge was taking his cut. I suspect the safer and better thing to do is to go to the tourist information office in the town. However, overall, our experience of the Bauer Il Palazzo was positive. The food in the restaurant and the Bar of the Bauer was also very good, if a bit expensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

London
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have just returned from a visit to Venice and booked the Bauer ll Palazzo, which is a great place to stay. We arrived by private water taxi from Venice Marco Polo Airport (15 minute transfer), which stops right outside the hotel entrance and stayed in a Canal Room with a great view over the lagoon and St Marks Square. The room had a comfortable bedroom and separate living room. The bathroom was in Italian marble with Jacuzzi tub, and separate shower and exclusive toiletries by Santa Maria degli Angeli
We had breakfast at 'Settimo Cielo' on the 7th-floor lounge, which serves a great breakfast and has a spectacular terrace with brilliant views of the city and lagoon."
The hotel is a 2 minute walk from St Marks Square and about 10 minutes from the Rialto Bridge. I would recommend a trip out to the fantastic Island of Burano, which is famous for its lace. All the houses are painted different colours and it has its own leaning tower!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank torino20
BauerHotels, Manager at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time of writing your impressions on your stay at IL PALAZZO and are extremely happy for the glowing review!
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the BAUERs!

Yours faithfully,

San Francisco
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a classic, old world hotel, richly styled and located. The hotel is centrally located and within easy access of San Marco Square and historic sights. The staff are very attentive. the hotel has its own dock allowing easy water taxi access.

Room Tip: Arrange a room with a view of the canal
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P C

Reading
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Travelled BA Business as the three day trip was a gift. Excellent cabin service and views of snow capped Alps in October. We arrived in good spirits to be whisked away by water taxi, who sped across the lagoon much to the delight of my teenage daughters.

Were met at the hotel`s private dock by the concierge, and after a brief chat with the manager were shown to our rooms.The wallpaper and furnishings were sumptous, the view out of this world - I spent hours at night gazing from the window...unforgettable.

The bathroom had the largest marble bath I have ever seen, but sadly did not provide bubble bath /oil, despite other luxurious beauty products, perhaps to avoid slipping? It did seem a ploy to discourage use.

The staff were efficient and polite. Had a meal from room service the first night which was good
but have had better from lower rated hotels.The mini bar was extortionately priced but I did indulge. On checking out I was asked if I had used the minibar, and was somewhat disappointed on returning to the hotel to discover that the key to my daughters` room was missing, due to the fact that an officious female receptionist suspected that they were lying about not having used this facility, and was in the process of snooping.It appeared that she hoped to cause me embarassment but it backfired and left her looking petty.
Venice itself did not disappoint and I long to return. I would stay for a longer period, possibly in an apartment, or less stiff hotel...with a view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lamorna9394
BauerHotels, Manager at Bauer Palazzo, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing our property.

We are pleased that you were impressed with our service, the room and, mostly, our views.

I am disappointed to read, however, about the unprofessional behavior of one of our reception clerks and would appreciate any additional information which would help us investigate further in order to take the appropriate corrective action and discourage similar situations in the future.

This said, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future in order to offer you an entirely satisfactory stay.

Yours very sincerely,