“Perfect, quiet hotel”

Ranked #6 of 386 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect, quiet hotel”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent three nights here after Christmasand couldn't have asked for more: a lovely interior, lots of imaginative touches, charming rooms, nice, helpful staff and a fabulous location, with the Salute vaporetto stop right outside the hotel, along with the stunning Punta della Dogana gallery space. Delicious breakfast, prepared and served to order. Outstanding hotel in our opinion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Greek first
Leamington spa
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a fantastic hotel. The rooms are beautifully furnished with fabric lined walls and wonderful chandeliers, huge beds and lovely marble lined modern bathrooms. My husband and I stayed in one of the concept rooms - The Doge - which was up one short flight of stairs above reception and decorated in a very dramatic red from floor to ceiling. The room is just gorgeous and very romantic. So many other hotels in this price bracket have sparse modern decor but this whole hotel was a real delight. Our Doge room had a very high ceiling with several almost floor to ceiling windows draped in a sumptuous red damask fabric. The bed and all the walls are lined in the same material, with a lovely faux fur throw at the foot of the bed. And there is a huge chandelier in the middle of the room - a replica of one I spotted in the Doges Palace. It is just enormous. There is a separate dressing room and lovely big bathroom with corner jacuzzi bath, modern sink and the same huge windows as the bedroom. The room was lovely and warm and we had a great view of the beautiful white church opposite and the side canal. If you leaned right out of the window you could just see the grand canal. I was worried the church would keep us awake all night with bells tolling every hour but it was not a problem - it only rings 8 till 8 and wasn't too loud so wasn't a problem. There is a flat screen tv with built in DVD player (and a library of DVDs to borrow). The tv screen shows a live webcam view of the grand canal and plays lovely opera music (and delightful christmas songs when we were there the week before Christmas). The breakfast is gorgeous. Freshly squeezed orange juice, wonderful coffee, fresh croissants, eggs any way you want and crispy bacon - there are around 60 items to choose from so you will be spoilt for choice. All was delicious and beautifully presented. The staff were fantastic too. So friendly and helpful offering to recommend and book restaurants, suggestions of where to visit, which water buses/taxis to take and where. My husband and I were very impressed. I am very fussy where hotels are concerned and always research throughly before booking. I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and was worried that this small hotel in Venice may not live up to my expectations but I needn't have worried. It was perfect. Do yourself a favour and book this hotel, you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for a concept room. The decor is gorgeous and adds to the atmosphere of this lovely city.
1 Thank Crowe1997
Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We visited Venice four years ago and stayed at Ca' Maria Adele. We had an absolutely wonderful time - so much so that when my husband told me he had rebooked us into the hotel for my birthday, I was actually quite concerned that it wouldn't be up to the gold standard of my memories from the previous trip!
We stayed in a gorgeous room that was larger than the one we had stayed in before. It was just beautiful and very quiet at night with a luxurious and enormous bed that ensured a good night's sleep. It looked out over the canal and stunning church next to the hotel - a wonderful view each morning!
The team at the hotel were fantastic - nothing was too much trouble and they were charming and very kind. We were sat with a glass of prosecco and some hot chocolate on arrival while they finished getting the room ready and relaxed in the tiny, intimate and gorgeous lounge. The breakfasts were fine - this is possibly the only area that could be improved, with slightly less than fresh fruit salad and average breads. However, the breakfast room is lovely and was decorated lavishly for Christmas!
I can't recommend this hotel enough if you like intimate, charming, beautifully appointed hotels in wonderfully quiet locations. The vaporetto is fantastic for instant access to Piazza San Marco - one stop and you are there! However, the location means that it is nearly always quiet without the constant tourist stream that you always see in the heart of Venice.
Many thanks for another memorable trip, Ca' Maria Adele!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the canal and church - stunning!
2 Thank surfinglass
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I lived in Venice many years ago and sadly find the hotels inauthentic and often theme park-like, but Ca Maria Adele is the real thing: the closest to staying in the home of a Venetian patrician family if you haven't that option! Elegant and relaxed small hotel with many fine, details: a relaxing drink upon arrival, Italian opera played in public spaces (and your room, if you choose); quirky, distinctively Venetian design flourishes throughout. Room 332 (a std deluxe) on the top floor was spacious with panoramic views of the Salute and Grand Canal: no necessity at all to book the themed rooms (but they appeared to be grander still). The staff are friendly and very helpful throughout. The engaged, convivial owners are personally involved making you feel relaxed and most welcome. Excellent, enormous breakfasts (though a bit silly having to pre-order the night before). Prices may seem steep for the level of amenty (ie, no restaurant, spa, elevator/lift) but well worth the overall room accommodation and experience. Super location in quiet Dorsoduro, with the most dramatic views of the Salute church; convenient to S Marco, Guggenheim, Accademia, etc. You also have the advantage of the nearby Centurion Hotel (very dramatic but large and rather institutional) where you can stop for superb cocktails on the Grand Canal terrace, their courtyard or glamorous, urbane bar. Just go!!

Room Tip: Room 332 (a std deluxe) on the top floor was spacious, light with a unique veiw of the Salute (the p...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Genève
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I spend 2 night at the Ca Maria Adele for a very special occasion and certainly the hotel did not let me down. It is a very romantic place were the service is attentive until the very last detail. The breakfast was absolutely outstanding, with a huge selection that one can choose the night before. The room was very spacious, and always clean.
The staff always greeted you with a smile and were willing to help.
I do recommend this hotel if you are looking to spend some days in an unforgettable place in one of the most romantic cities in the world.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The owners make you feel as though you are a special guest, you are offered a drink upon arrival and genuine conversation as they are interested in their guests. We were staying for five nights this time. Our first visit was shortly after the hotel opened about six years ago. Beautiful bedrooms tastefully coloured and lit, very sumptuous fabrics bedeck the public areas. There is classical music softly playing in the background, just enough sound to increase the atmosphere of the exquisite balance of the house. If you want a large hotel there are many in Venice offering all the mod cons, but if you require a more intimate friendly and peaceful stay where the staff will know you and help you select an ideal restaurant or gallery to visit then the Ca Maria Adele is the answer. I cant wait to return and savour the luxurious little gem again. PS they even made me a special drink when I was a bit off colour.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank liz w
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

A romantic weekend in Venice celebrating our wedding anniversary. We decided to splurge on the best possible hotel. And in the end...influenced more than anything by the stellar reviews on this site I booked one of the themed rooms at the Ca Maria Adele at a cost of 700 Euro a night. For that amount we could have stayed at any of the top 5 star hotels. But I was bowled over by the consistently rave reviews this little boutique hotel received and how romantic it seemed. The hotel's website with gorgeous detailed photography of the themed rooms was so seductive. Big Mistake. This is a B&B type establishment charging outrageous prices.

It's tiny. Photography on the website misleads the eye. The sitting room can hold precisely 4 people. The reception feels crowded with just 3 of you - that's us plus the man behind the desk, a porter arrives and we practically have to stand out of his way so he can get by. Then our room.....We stayed in the Sala Noire. Again clever photography highlighted decadent and sumptuous design features...what it doesn't show you is how oddly shaped and small the room is or how dreadfully badly laid out it is. For starters the en-suite shower (there is no bath - something I was not aware of when I booked) is upstairs from the room. Not up a couple of steps or even a mezzanine type arrangement but fully up a flight of 15 stairs to the floor above. Now I don't know about you but for me this stretches the concept of "en suite" quite considerably. Plus it created all kinds of problems with having either to leave a light on at night so that one could find one's way to the loo if needed or having to fumble about with turning on lights...the stairs were in themselves a bit of a death-trap being uneven in tread causing both of us to nearly trip up on several occasions (and no we're not old and infirm). The shower room itself while sleek and modern was strictly "one person at a time" size and the bedroom, dominated by a large (and actually to be fair extremely comfortable) bed did not allow enough standing space for two people to pass without getting in each others way. Apart from the clever use of fabric and lighting which is all shown on the website the room is a con. There is no wardrobe, just a rail rigged up behind a curtain and absolutely no drawer space at all. So clothes you can't hang up (t-shirts, underwear etc) all had to stay in our bag which then had to be hauled out from behind the rail-curtain and rummaged through. "I'm back-packing at £600 quid a night?" my husband queried. And in my view worst of all there are no side tables but rather this utterly repellent cheap, badly chipped veneer built-in desk and bed surround which was so horrid it totally spoilt the room for me - and marked the whole thing as a sham because I don't get how anyone would truly care about design and allow this.

Breakfast also irritated me. You have to choose the night before the time, place and content of your meal. Why? I don't want to have to make decisions about what I want to eat a full 12 hours before I need to. I'm on holiday....I want to wake up when I feel like it. This isn't what good service should be about. We ended up skipping breakfast entirely one day as I couldn't face filling in what seemed like a Census Form upon our return to the room at midnight. We sampled it the next day in a pretty but again small upstairs room which held too many tables too closely together so that private conversation was impossible and forced evesdropping unpleasant - though not as unpleasant as getting the bill for our 2 night stay. Perhaps everyone else staying here was on some kind of mega-deal as honestly I wanted to throw myself into the canal at the thought of what a huge waste of money it was.

Venice is heart stoppingly beautiful. If you have got this kind of money to splash out on a hotel do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple