“A vote for the Annex”

Ranked #329 of 469 Venice B&B and Inns
Gateshead, England, United Kingdom
“A vote for the Annex”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Right, so after reading all the reviews on here I want to give my view of the Annex. People who have left reviews seem to suggest that once you're in the Annex you're left in the middle of a darkened wood surrounded by rapists, muggers and rats. So here's my take on it. Firstly I travelled with my younger brother who is in his 20's, I'm in my 30's. Just so there's no confusion, I'm not posh but am not easily pleased. So after a long walk from the train station (I recommend a taxi to either the hotel or Rialto Bridge area) we found the hotel. The Palazzo Rosa is down a little alley and we almost missed it from the area that we approached. After a walk up one flight of broken stairs we were told we were in the Annex. After seeing the reviews on here first I feared the worst. I wasn't overly impressed with the Palazzo Rosa so I thought it was going to be a nightmare if it was worse than that. So after a short walk over the bridge, past a cheerful little cafe in the square and opposite a tea room we arrived. Not the 10 minute walk as suggested on here. We were accompanied by the man from the hotel the whole way. So the bad part. Yes, there are a lot of stairs but you only need to carry your suitcase up them once. 3 floors up and no lift. I'm sure there any many similar hotels in Venice. We were shown to our room and advised to contact the reception in the Palazzo if we needed anything. A quick try of the telly to find we had no channels. Hmm, well in that case we better leave the hotel and explore Venice then. Nightmare! Also no toilet seat. Don't wanna go into the mechanics of it but we made it work. I'm sure a call to the reception would have sorted it but I didn't plan to be in the hotel that much anyway. Venice is a wonderful place. The shower had piping hot water throughout our stay and bearing in mind the age of the building I only witnessed one tiny ant which had found it's way in through an open window. I know for a fact that if you have money you'll stay somewhere else. There's plenty of 4 and 5 star hotels in Venice. If you're on a budget like I was then you'll happily stay here. Venice is a very complex place to figure out where you are but that's the beauty of the place. Took a few hours but we found our way around very quickly after that. The bed was very comfortable and after wandering Venice all day that's all that matters to me. Who goes to a place like this and spends all day in a hotel. So to confirm. The room wasn't flooded, had hot water, a roof and a comfy bed. Job's a goodun.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bungletez1978

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Palazzo Rosa. We found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel is centrally located with all attractions within easy walking distance.
The building is authentic with large spacious rooms. Our room on the first floor overlooked a canal and was quiet.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this place to our friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We arrived in Venice and call the hotel to get directions to get to the hotel since there are no cabs there, you are on your own to try and find places. After walking around the city for 45 minutes to find the hotel we finally get there only to be told we are booked at the 'Annex building'.

The Annex building is located 10 minutes away on the third floor of an apartment building...not the main hotel location. When we called to get directions to the hotel, It would have been nice if they told us that we were in a different location, rather than hauling our luggage up three flights of stairs only to have to turn around and go to another location.

The Annex building is not what we booked and the manager would not help us with either booking in the main hotel or another hotel. When we booked we specifically asked for a room with air conditioning and a water front view. Neither the Palazzo Rosa or the Annex building provides this, and their is no breakfast in the Annex building.

The nighttime manager drops us off at this remote third floor apartment location and kind of laughs at our situation as he leaves us there for the night...very, rude, aggravating and condescending attitude. The nighttime manager then left us in the room that did not have a phone and told us to call him or walk over to the main hotel (10 minutes away) if we need anything!!!! Oh, and no Wifi in Annex, only in main building.

The Annex rooms were gross, the beds were horrible and there was no hot water in the morning for a shower. After sucking it up and staying in the hotel the first night, I had to argue with the daytime manager for 45 minutes that this was not the room we book and that he needed to rebook us in the main hotel or cancel our reservation. Eventually he cancel our second night at the hotel and then proceeded to cursed me out as we were leaving the hotel.

Would highly recommend to avoid this hotel!

Our second night in Venice we stayed at the Hotel Principle and had a wonderful experience. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeffshoy

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Surrey
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The good reviews for this BB are from people that stayed in the main building. If you, like us, are put in the separate building across the bridge, it's a complete different matter as you are completely abandoned. We ended up having no breakfast, the room was narrow, the pavements broken, we had to climbs up three floors to get to it, the view dismal .

Room Tip: Insist to stay in the main building!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luckyonelol
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had a triple room / apartment it was perfect for our short stay in Venice very handy location walking distance to major sites of Interest. The staff GIanni I think his name is , was fantastic so friendly and helpful made us feel very welcome. Thank you!!! We will recommend you to our friends.

• Stayed May 2012
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed over April in the 'Palazzo NIghtmare'. It all started when we checked in at the shabby little reception desk across the quaint little bridge that other reviewers have mentioned. Had we been given a room in the main building, with a view of the canal, it might not have been quite so bad. But we were led away back over that cute little bridge on a 200 metre hike back the way we came to a shabby building, up three flights of stairs (no help) with all our suitcases and into the most dismal, dank room you can imagine. One good thing...it was clean but our view of some rubbish and a dark alley was not quite what we were expecting. The staff were offhand and there was no breakfast. To cap it all, when my wife lost her passport and thought the last place she had left it was in the room, we had the owner from hell descend upon us to rant and rave at my wife accusing her of accusing him and his staff that they were thieves etc etc (nothing was further from our minds)...with my wife visibly shaking with upset at his tirade and the whole experience (this conversation all in Italian). It took my intervention to shut him up once he had told me he suffered from heart problems. No wonder. It capped what was a very disappointing trip for us to Venice and my heart sank everytime I walked past other more cozy looking places. Never again. Be warned. The other negative reviews here are certainly far closer to my experience.

Room Tip: My advice? Don't go and certainly do not accept a room in the 'Annexe'.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve W
London
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Palazzo Rosa could not be bettered location-wise. It is incredibly well placed to get to all the major sites very easily. It is also worth noting that there is only one bridge/one set of stairs between the vaporetto stop and the hotel- very useful if laden with suitcases and children!
The room we stayed in was very nice- they have kept asll the old features and I've never stayed in such a grand room with an elaborately painted ceiling. The room was large enough for my four year old to sleep undisturbed at one end while we read at the other- and we looked out over the canal.
The staff were delightful and helpful and the breakfast perfectly adequate- my only complaint was the quality of the coffee- I somehow felt in Italy the coffee should be the highlight! But that is a very tiny negative compared to all the very positive points in this hotel.
My sister is planning to go to Venice in the summer and I have had no hesitation in recommending this as a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family