“Lovely dining room”

Ranked #11 of 458 Venice B&B and Inns
Lucca, Italy
“Lovely dining room”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

The hosts were pleasant, the room was large, the shower was good, but could have used more hot water. Yes, there was construction noise, but the location was great, and you can find construction noise anywhere in Italy at any time. Breakfast was very nice, and the dining room was lovely. Ask for espresso or a capuccino... the coffee in the pot wasn't very good.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank schafferde

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

I had high hopes after reading all the positive reviews. The first thing I noticed is my room was right next to rooftop construction. After being jet-lagged and wanting to sleep your first afternoon here, it isn't possible with loud banging and drilling.

There are 2 things that bothered me, one more so than the next.

1) No food or drink in room. I have been staying I hotels for a quarter century in all parts of the world and have NEVER heard of this. Having type 1 diabetes, I need food and drink and was very put off by this. What is even worse is if I keep soda in the fridge, they will remove it if not part of the mini-bar! That is just ridiculous. It says right in the fridge they will remove any non-hotel items due to "hypoallergenic" nonsense.

Change this.

2) Hot water. There wasn't any. With it being around 0 C each morning of my stay, the water only ever got luke warm. There would be spurts of hot water; I found myself savoring those moments.

All in all, I might stay here again but would address both these issues with the staff before hand.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Spencer A
CAANGELI, Proprietario at Ca' Angeli, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
First, we want to take the occasion to thank everyone who posted a review for us.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated in order to always try to improve our service.

In the matter of this last comment though, a couple of points we’d like to clarify, might be helpful for other persons in the future as well:
- Restoring works outside are wearing us out for more than a year and they don’t belong, in any way, to our Property but to the buildings next door, therefore we’re “victims” of this situations as our guests (For information they don’t work 24 hours a day but from morning time until 5 p.m. - weekends excluded) and we’re very sorry about that.

- We prefer and kindly ask guests not to bring food/beverages in the room for simple hygienic reasons and because in every room there are antique carpets/bedspreads which will cost the guest, making stains on them, an amount of about 200,00 Euros for their washing or dry cleaning.

- Our apologies for the lack of hot water. When asking to the reception, our staff always try to make the best in order to solve the problem as quick as possible.

It will be our pleasure, for a possible future visit, to respond to all your questions in advance (Usually, reserving directly through our website (caangeli.it) and not using intermediary agencies, you would have the chance of customizing your reservation based on your needs) in order to ensure you a great stay in our Property.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

After reading the countless positive reviews on tripadvisor, my partner decided to book this hotel for my birthday surprise and when we arrived i wasnt dissapointed. Its true the hotel is beautiful, right on the water and typical venezian style. We arrived early so couldnt check in so all day i was really looking forward to seeing the room. When the receptionist showed us to our room at first i thought it was the door to the cloakroom it was that close to the desk (room 4)...never the less, the room was beautiful as anticipated. Unfortunately though, it is right next to the main staircase and reception desk, so for the night i had to stick tissue in my ears just to sleep (even the dozen Spritz i'd had didnt soften the noise!) - it was so noisy both above our room and from the stairwell. By the time morning came i had hardly slept (the tissue was rubbish) and was woken at 6:30am by what sounded like someone searching for amhoover in a cupboard outside our door..but was just people coming up and down the stairs. To make matters worse, i went to have a shower and the water was luke warm so i was freezing.

I gave this hotel 4* because it really is beautiful and great location. The breakfast is lovely and staff attentive, it was just such a shame that we were given room No.4 which spoilt my birthday experience.

Room Tip: Ask not to stay in room 4.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vgs34
West Richland, Washington
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights at this property. The breakfast buffet was particularly memorable. Great service, coffee, and selection. The art and décor throughout of the hotel and in our room (Number 3) was beautiful and a taste of old Venice. The hotel cat provided greeting in the courtyard daily. Excellent pastry shop around the corner for late night dessert and digestif.
Great location for walking and water taxi. Staff cordial and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This review of Ca Angeli, and the other highest rated reviews we read on Trip Advisor, will not do this B&B justice. This place is wonderful !!!! We stayed here for 4 nights and were more than pleased with our choice. In fact, this may have been the nicest, coziest, most quaint B&B either of us has ever stayed in.
No doubt it was a small challenge to find this place, but we didn't care, we were in Venice !!! Plus, this meant the location is further away from the tourist traps and droves of pedestrians. The building looked like an old, somewhat dilapidated apartment from the outside, but once u entered the property (through a tall, heavy security gate that made you feel quite safe) you saw a nice, little garden area and we felt right at home.
There is an elevator to take u to the reception area on the 3rd floor. There we were greeted by Giorgio (as in Armani, as he joked). U will not find a nicer, more polite, more helpful and professional person in Venice. He gave us suggestions for restaurants, museums, directions, things to see, things to avoid and general info about the area. Ca Angeli also supplies their guests with a map of the city and Giorgio will mark all of his suggestions on the map for you. We would have been lost without him, literally. He was invaluable. THANX GIORGIO !!!!!
Our room was beautiful, spacious and extremely clean and looked out over the courtyard where we entered. There was a double bed, a single bed, desk, tv, mini-fridge and a large walk-in closet with safe. The beds were very comfortable; they passed my test with flying colors, as I have a very temperamental lower back. The bathroom had 'his' and 'her' sinks, a huge mirror, shower, toilet, bidet and bathtub. We were very happy with our room.
The breakfast buffet was incredible and the server was polite and professional. She offered an assortment of pastries, breads and croissants, exceptional meats, exotic cheeses, fresh fruit, yogurts with several organic toppings, organic jams and honeys, organic coffees and teas, hot chocolate, and a juicer with a seemingly endless supply of oranges, so u can squeeze yourself fresh OJ every morning !!!!! The ambiance of the dining room is exquisite and has a jaw-dropping view of the Grand Canal and all the boats passing by while you eat.
The location of the B&B was quiet, peaceful and serene and only a 2 minute walk to the nearest Vaporetto Station (boats). And it allowed for easy access to get to Rialto, San Marcos and other areas of interest.
2 restaurants u HAVE TO try are All Amarone Vineria (1 minute away; San Silvestro, San Polo 1131, 30125 Venice; owner: Alfredo, waitress: Diana) and Gam Gam in the Ghetto (further away, requires Vaporetto). Both have excellent food and very reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Ask for room #22. Perfect for 2 adults or 2 adults with 1 child. Great room !!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kory T
Wild North East
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We chose this small hotel for 2 nights post-cruise for several reasons:
1. the hotel`s age, and its position on the Grand Canal
2. it has a lift
3. very reasonable rates, and excellent reviews on Tripadvisor.

For older travellers arriving at the cruise port - please note that it`s much easier to get a water taxi directly to the hotel`s private wharf (€64 in Oct `13) than to trek with luggage to the people carrier, then to the Plaza Roma vaparetto stop, then only number 1 vaparetto goes to the San Silvestro vaparetto stop, then a 10 minute walk through crowded streets.

On our journey (as above) to the hotel, unfortunately I fell hard as I was getting off the vaparetto trying to push 2 wheeled suitcases. Travelling with my elderly dad and disabled son, this shook me up and I tried to reach the hotel as quickly as possible. I was walking ahead reading the instructions, dad behind, son behind him, when my dad was passed on each side by 2 likely lads. He felt his pocket being touched, but being a salty old sea dog he only keeps small coins there. He challenged the lads and they pretended they were showing him the way to go, so please beware - Calle di Mezzo is very crowded.
Can I suggest to Giorgio that it would be really useful to have a little hand drawn map to accompany your excellent instructions?

We arrived at Ca` Angeli - a lovely old building, and were shown to our triple room number 3, which was at the side of the building overlooking the side canal. This was a large triple room with lots of interesting decorations and a spotlessly clean bathroom. My son thought it was "spooky", probably because it had a mirror with almost black silvering, and a massive carved wardrobe whose door wouldn`t stay shut! Not much view, but we didn`t go to Venice to sit in the room.

Off we went to explore, and as it was rather cold we popped into the nearest restaurant for lunch.........and dinner. The very reasonably priced place on the corner as you walk back onto Calle di Mezzo. Our second day went went to Murano, one of my favourite places.

The breakfasts at Ca` Angeli are out of this world. Just continental breakfast ie. fruit, cold meats and cheeses, croissants and coffee....but what a fantastic organic selection! The crepes with soft sweetened cheese filling were to die for. My son loved the machine for squeezing your own fresh orange juice. We couldn`t see much of the Grand Canal from our table, but the room has the atmosphere and decor of a grand old house, which is what it is. Totally lived up to my expectations.

Service from Giorgio and his colleagues on the front desk was excellent both before and during our stay.

On the day of our return to the airport, it was cold and very rainy, so we gave in and used another expensive water taxi directly from the hotel. Well.....it was a wonderful hoidayl, and the taxi driver helped us so much.

We probably wouldn`t use Ca` Angeli again, but only because we were slightly limited by San Silvestro only serving number 1 vaparetto, which was always busy, and my son had more problems than I expected with the bridge steps.
A great stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SimplyRed54
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Wonderful room and staff was very friendly and helpful. The chef created a breakfast buffet that was exceptional. Loved sitting in the breakfast room overlooking the grand canal. We highly recommend that you watch the Youtube video on how to get to the B&B. Would have been lost without it. Rooms were very clean and located in a beautiful historic area close to all the sites and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple