Casa Arte
$180
$524
$508
  • Room Service
Hotel Savoia & Jolanda(Venice)
$391
$161
$809
Londra Palace
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsaccademia stoproom safeno elevatorshort walkst mark's squarepastriesgrand canalwaterbus
Reviewed July 16, 2010

For the price there are better places to stay. Although the location is great, rooms are cramped, not too clean, the air conditioning useless (imagine in July !) and the breakfast inedible in an even more cramped room - the worst I can remember having (and I'm nearly 50).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank motogpmotos
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Charming setting, but very problematic. Not up to basic standards.

ROOMS. Mine was very underlit, so that I could hardly see to pack and unpack. Absolutely no helpful literature for the room user, nothing about TV channels or how to select, nothing about phone use or how to contact reception. The only sheet of paper in the entire room was a xeroxed fire escape diagram for the wrong floor – surely a breach of legal fire regulations.

WiFi CONNECTION. Was not strong enough to reach upper floors even though hotel is tiny. I lost emails when the signal went down, and then had to sit on the stairs or set up my laptop in the downstairs breakfast room.

PHONE. Amenities listing said “direct-dial phone” and “24-hour front desk,” but the phone in the room were not connected and could only receive incoming calls, and only when someone was actually at the front desk to put them through. Otherwise you were cut off. All my calls to Expedia had to be done on a borrowed phone in the cramped public space downstairs. On the Sunday around 11pm I was doing my e-mail downstairs (because of that weak signal) and I heard the phone ring twice with nobody answering it. Then I got a worried e-mail from my wife back in the US saying that she had been trying to get through several times and nobody answered. The third time it rang I sat in the empty front-desk chair and picked it up, and it was her (11:30pm). But the night porter then came out of the side room, interrupted our conversation, accused me of making illicit calls, denied having missed any calls, and told me that I had been reported to the police!

BREAKFAST ROOM is so small that we had to wait for a table each morning when my sister and family were here. No additional service area so dishwasher was running while we ate. Breakfast itself quite minimal, juice in disposable plastic cups and beverages from an instant machine. And the room doubled as a staff bedroom! On the Saturday evening I came down to do my e-mail and found someone asleep in there, behind a barricade of chairs.

CREDIT CARDS. For the first few days the hotel had no facilities for making card payments, and announced that they would accept only cash. Later this was fixed. But meanwhile (as I discovered from e-mails that passed between the hotel and Expedia) they had tried to run the card that I used to guarantee the booking, and it was declined. I obtained a document from them which shows that the card number they used was correct, and the card was in good working order, so the problem was in their system. But instead of double-checking they regarded me as some kind of con artist, and tried to demand full payment on the first morning that my sister and nieces were with me, just going out for their first-ever walk in Venice.

ATTITUDE. I was there for a week-long conference and I also invited family from England to stay over the long weekend. I originally booked via Expedia five days for them, but on March 11 I heard that they could only come for three days so I immediately emailed and phoned the hotel. After many tries the owner said that I had to change the booking through Expedia, which I did. On March 15 Expedia Customer Service told me that they had spoken to the hotel and faxed them to authorize changing the booking. BUT when I arrived, the hotel manager claimed never to have received the fax. After hours and hours of difficult discussions and calls to Expedia the booking was changed, but the hotel (and Expedia) still forced me to pay for the two extra nights, two double rooms, April 8 and 12. Huge, time-wasting, mood-spoiling hassle. Expedia share the blame for this, and the whole thing should have been settled between them and the hotel. But their attitude was bad throughout. Finally, when I checked out the manageress “Monica” refused to give her surname and (after consulting with the owner) refused to mark the receipt for the disputed extra nights with any kind of identification.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
7  Thank AlbertIine
barbaraalbanes, Proprietario at Casa Arte, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

Dear guest,
what can we say? What is sure is that we have been waiting for this kind of judgement (you promised!) since the very moment the same Expedia through which you had made the reservation, underlined the fact that it had been your mistake, not ours.
We would like you to notice that we are NOT a three stars hotel (never claimed being one), as you define us, but a Guest House and we do our best to offer our guests our courtesy even though we do not have any kind of particular obligations (eg: a night service is not due for our category, but we have it at our guests' disposal to try to make your stay here as comfortable as possible). Believe it or not, we do really care for our guests, they are not simple numbers like in other hotels, and we really try to do our best to please all of our guests: sometimes we succeed in making everybody happy, sometimes we don't:but we try.. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I know that you have been served a hot drink at 2 a.m., and, believe me, that is not a very common situation elsewhere.
Now, we have no intention to go on on this dispute: we are only very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in our Guest House: surely (and unfortunately) you will not be the last one, because people are very different one from another and have different ways to deal with things, persons and places, but the great part of the feedbacks from our guests show us that we are on the right way to demonstrate that our job and commitment are fully repaid. We are convinced that a constructive criticism is necessary for growing up constantly, but sometimes one should have the necessary humility to recognize one's own responsibilities ,without lain them to others only to satisfy one's own ego. We are aware that your experience at our Guest House has not been a good one (toO many misunderstandings), but we are sure that if you'd ever give us a second chance we would not disappoint you again.
Cordialmente,
Barbara
Casa Artè

Reviewed November 26, 2009

Just back from a few days in Laconda Arte Hotel not impressed and wouldnt go back to this hotel, dark and dreary room, no lounge or bar, luckily not our first visit to the wonderful city of Venice and won't be our last but in a different hotel.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sandyMidlands
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Just returned from Venice on a 3 night leisure break staying at this hotel. Quite hard to find but once there very central for all the sites and the Accademia boat stop.Large room with a shower only ensuite but very comfortable and warm - very nice on damp November evenings. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable and very trusting - keys to all doors given on arrival and merely questioned over use of mini-bar on check out! Let down was the very poor continental set out breakfast of a hot drink plus one croissant and one small roll with preserves. Waiter service in a very small room on the ground floor - cornflakes and french toast also available but nothing else. Nonetheless we found it very nice in a city where all guide books tell you that everything is eye-wateringly expensive. We would stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank keithstevens
Reviewed November 8, 2009

The fact is that they just know that other tourists DO come, because this is Venice. Rooms are very very small, service is not poor but not good. Breakfast is poor.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple