“Nice but overrated”

$80.18*
and up
Venice Hidden Gems Tour Including Gondola Ride
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I took a gondola ride in the Grand Canal then navigating through Venice small canals the price is 80 Euros before 7pm and 100 then after it's a bit pricey for 30 minute ride. It was nice and the gondolier was knowledgeable telling us about historic and iconic sites. My wife seemed to enjoy the ride and that what counts the most. I don't think I would do again in the future though.

1  Thank Anis74us
Write a ReviewReviews (2,184)
All reviews
"water taxi"
"gondolier"
in 509 reviews

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Per booked a ride before arriving in Venice. Company Paul & Shark. All arrived for 6.30pm a large queue. Multiple gondolas packed 6-7on each and all set off to main canal then along smaller canals. Gondola man was using his mobile phone most of the time or shouting at his friends. Very impersonal ,which was a shame! Didn't get to sit next to my husband so not romantic. Got wet twice from passing boats! Just wasn't what I was expecting ! Lasted 35 mins.

1  Thank Carolyn D
Reviewed September 4, 2013

After visiting, I am not a fan of Venice. You've no doubt been told how beautiful this place is, how romantic it is and so on and so on. Listen up and save your money; or more importantly your time because it's a big disappointment. If you find a gondolier smoking a cigarette while talking on a cell phone, all the while charging you over $100 for 40 minute ride romantic, then we have different views of romantic. Gondola Rides in Venice, and Venice in general are overpriced. The cityis run down and dirty. The shop-keeps are rude and unhelpful. It is filled with pushy tourists & the food is poor. I had better Italian food in Amsterdam. The accommodations are substandard. The place IS SINKING. St. Mark’s Square floods so often now, that tables are set up to walk on while it's underwater. Italy has much to offer - better yet, Europe has much more beautiful & romantic places to visit that this sinking toilet bowl. Don't say you haven't been warned.

7  Thank Oktoberfest2010
Reviewed September 4, 2013

80 euros for 2 people. A must do in Venice – fantastic! The sign said you are on for 40 minutes but realistically you are only on for about 20-30 minutes.

TIP: Get the guy to sing!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We reached the shores of Venice on a hot crowded afternoon and needless to say, my first impression of the place didn't amount to much. The crowded pavements, noisy surroundings and the blistering heat, all seemed a far cry from the picturesque romantic city I had in mind. But we still decided to go ahead on a gondola ride, even though it appeared over priced. Luckily, we could share the ride and the amount with a few other people and that worked out fine.
I am not sure of the general routes taken by the gondolas, but we boarded ours from pier 2A. We were told that these ones would pass under the Bridge of Sighs . Honestly, when we got in, I didn't expect much, considering the time of day . But Oh ! Was I mistaken . A few minutes into the ride, and we soon forgot the noise, heat and crowd. We were riding through the smaller canals and the closeness of the buidings offered a great shade throughout the ride. Our gondolier even sang a few songs for us and pointed out the prison, the palace walls and all that passed us, along the way.
For around thirty minutes, finally I could experience the Venice I had in mind all along.

Tip : I still think it's too pricey for a little ride. So, if you are one of those who want to just experience the ride like us, and not out for total privacy, I strongly recommend sharing the gondola with a few others.

1  Thank Abhi977