“A locals place that is wonderful”

Ristorante Cantinone Storico
Ranked #245 of 1,461 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have eaten dinner here several years ago and loved it. This recent visit we had lunch. It is mainly a place for the locals. The food is great and the service excellent. The cuisine is simple and delicious and good comfort food. Their soups were excellent as was the gnochi

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This quaint little place on a residential canal just past the Academia Bridge was fabulous. Wines at a very reasonable price - large selection. and though almost full when we arrived , the staff did a fantastic job of taking care of us. The handmade ravioli was just delicious beyond description, and the salad large and very fresh. the cappuccinos were hot and frothy and we were treated to gratis digestivo drinks after our meal both nites. THe staff work very hard and yet their smiles are big and genuine. I love this place. I wanted to transport it back to Texas. we tried the soups, and we had fish as well. our tab was very reasonable. Hope I get to go back some day.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Our Hotel recommended this restaurant and we received a warm welcome, I decided to try the lobster dish and as I never have eaten it before, it arrived with the correct utensils to eat it with of which I had no idea how to use , they came over and advised me and with clear instruction helped me devour the lobster, was delicious, they also suggested a gorgeous white wine, we tried more dishes that we had not eaten before and they then came over with "their dessert " and a cherry chocolate liquor. we felt very spoilt and special. many thanks to the team that ran it, very personal service, packed out but it never felt rushed. would go again and the price was worth every mouthful.

1  Thank Dread528
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel on our first evening in Venice, as we had asked for somewhere nearby and quite casual. We were staying in the Dosoduro area of Venice and had a pleasant walk along narrow streets and canals to find the restaurant. It was a lovely warm evening and we sat at a table outside next to a quiet picturesque canal - there is probably a bit of first night excitement bias to this review but this is the best evening we had in Venice and one of of our best memories. The food was simple but delicious - I had a plain plate of Parma ham with olive oil and pepper to start and then spaghetti with lobster - all washed down with what tasted like the best prosecco ever! The service was warm and friendly and it was amazing value for money for such great food and a wonderful evening.
We returned for lunch a few days later and felt like we were visiting a different restaurant entirely - there were different staff and the service was brusque to say the least - the food was awful and if had this been our only visit to this restaurant it would have scored one star! I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope our second visit was just an off day but I can see why there are such mixed reviews on trip-advisor for this restaurant. I am not sure whether my review is helpful to anyone deciding whether or not to eat here I'm afraid but it is an honest reflection of our experience. The second visit has not tarnished the memory of that magical first evening and I think on thus basis, we would probably give it another go.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This little spot was recommended to us by our hotel as a close option for dinner. When walking by, the place was relatively empty, which is usually a turn off for us, however, we chalked it up to being a weeknight in the off season. We were so pleased that we stopped here! The salted branzino was one of the best meals we had during our stay in Venice and had great presentation. The service was a bit slow, but very friendly. We had a wonderful experience here and would definitely consider coming back on our next trip.