“Don't be fooled!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castello
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were fooled by their 15E deal. Once we were seated they brought water, bread -not requested , then charged a tax and a surcharge. All up was 51E ,rather more than we had expected for the 2 of us. When we questioned the bill, the manager at the time said"pay, or I will call the police! I can charge you what i like!"

4  Thank shl_10

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our last night in venice we ate at da Gigi. We wanted pasta and the restaurant delivered after a 40 minute delay. We overlooked that but were quite surprised when we received the bill to see both a cover and a 12 percent service charge. That was over the top & took away from the meal that was served.. One or the other guys, not both.

1  Thank Jo Anne M
Reviewed May 9, 2013

At first we would like to dine in other restaurant but it's closed on Monday. The staff said they got great food and on cover charge is required in the restaurant. The restaurant got the same name as mine. Hence, my husband and I decided to choose this restaurant. We ordered pasta and risotta and the staff recommended us to take seafood Plate. We did not order as we are afraid we could not eat them all. As my husband is alcohol allergic, we just ordered water. Since then, the service is not as good as before.

When we paid the bill, we expected the cost is around 40-45. However, it's 54 as there is 12% service charge. Yes, there is no per person cover charge but there is service charge inside. For those who would like to go to Venice, please aware of this restaurant. It's the first time and the only time for me to pay 12% service charge in Italy. In other place, they just charge me 1.5-2.5 euro cover charge per person which is much better than this restaurant.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Beware that this place charges a cover charge plus a 12% added to the bill, basically I paid 40 € for a plate of calamari and a pizza. The food is nothing special. Skip.

2  Thank foodsnobandproudofit
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Everyone is right! My partner and I had not been to Venice but had a great few days. We found some really nice places to eat. However, this place is a joke!
The guy at the front of the restaurant told us all about the very large portions of lovely food and that they don't have a cover charge (which is something to bare in mind in venice!) but we were sold when he mentioned the 'lovely' garden terrace...
The terrace was cramped and consisted of green plastic garden tables and chairs, dirty table cloths and a gang of pigeons! They pack ALOT of people in to a tiny space, it was horrible and uncomfortable.
The food was good, but over priced. That's about all I can say. We had 2 calzone and 1 bottled water which totalled to €34! We were charged a cover charge (when they said we wouldn't!!!) and a service charge! About €10 on charges!
Last point is the CRAP service. They draw you in, stuff you in a cramped pigeon den, rush average food out then leave you for 35 minutes before coming back again! This was because they decided to deal with other customers and fill the restaurant as much as possible, rather than giving the existing customers any sort of service! Even when they finally took notice of us and we asked for the bill, they still didn't bother! I ended up going to the till, paying a leaving!!
Didn't even bother joining the massive queue for the toilet, I preferred to pay €1.50 in the public loos rather than stay there any longer!!!

1  Thank Amy T