“Excellent hotel- location is key”

Hotel Ai Reali di Venezia
Ranked #40 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous inside! Everything on the website matches the experience! Plus it is so central to key landmarks and easy to find when you jump off a boat! It's also surrounded by some great restaurants & in the heart of the shopping district!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I travel frequently to Venice and was originally planning to stay at the Pesaro Palace, where I stayed in January with a spectacular view of the Grand Canal. However, when they told me I would have a junior suite overlooking the back (and read the reviews of those rooms), I cancelled and spent half a day on tripadvisor looking for a good replacement. While nothing would ever replace those January views through three windows on the Grand Canal, I have to say that the Hotel Ai Reali is a top class hotel through and through.

I arrived early and was greeted with a special welcome by the staff. (I believe) the manager himself gave me a tour of the 18th C. marble staircase, then I was showed to room 110, a junior suite with canal view and a huge dressing room. The bathroom was entirely marble, and had separate bath and shower. The main room was huge, with a desk, sofa and coffee table, all furnished in antiques and oriental rugs. I admit the view of the small canal was not that great, but everything else about the hotel was wonderful. While I didn't take advantage of the spa services recommended by so many, I did eat in the restaurant -- and it is really a gourmet restaurant, not your average hotel offering. The breakfast was very good, again with staff who made you truly feel welcome.

One thing I really liked was the totally digital A/C or heat system (at times I needed both since it was close to acqua alta the first two days) that didn't require more than a quick look to figure out -- and it worked! Also you could press a button for do not disturb.

The free wifi is probably the best I have had anywhere in Europe recently, with very high speed connectivity and no problem at all with service. The large screen TV is pretty cool -- it is framed so that it looks almost like a black mirror till you turn it on.

Although I heeded the advice of both tripadvisor reviewers and the hotel staff before I arrived, I want to emphasize the location of the Disney store is key to finding your way (don't ask anyone where the hotel is, ask for the Disney store. This is a block in from the Rialto stop, and if you take the far side alleyway it takes you past two restaurants and straight to the small bridge that connects you to the hotel. Although I have disability issues, this was not a difficult hotel to get to and the bridge was small.

If I could change one thing, it would probably be to have a higher room so that the canal view would be more impressive. I had to bend outside one window to get a view of the small bridge in the photo.

I would like to thank everyone at the Ai Reali for making my stay meraviglioso! Grazie mille!

Room Tip: High room junior suite.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ProfT
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Generally a good stay in a nice property but we were pretty annoyed that the suite did not meet any form of expectation for a suite. We had breakfast served in the room and the ONLY place for the tray was on the luggage rack.....probably the best summary of the room.
Certainly, the staff passing it off as a suite because of the 'quality of the ceiling' gave me a good laugh but not much else.
Staff were good and I would stay here again, but I'd be careful at check in to ensure I got a room that matched my booking.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Hotel Ai Reali was a lovely remodeled hotel with an excellent staff. The location was central and easy walking distance to everything, and you are one step from canal transportation. The hotel bar and restaurant were 5 star service and food.

The problem I had with the hotel was our room. We had booked a Jr. Suite. On arrival what we got was a room with a chaise lounge. I was told there was a POSSIBILITY to move the next day. I did not want to unpack and repack to move, or not unpack because we might be able to move. Our room was on the canal and had a beautiful ceiling, but not a functioning Jr. Suite. No tables, nothing to eat or work on, just the chaise. At the end of our stay I went to talk to the manager and was told he was in the building with the owner. I said I would like to talk to him and I was told "He doesn't care!" I was told the canal and the ceiling qualified it as a Jr. Suite.

Two small issues I had was 1: No water is provided with the room, unless you pay for it. Even 2 star hotels provide water. 2:Plastic cups in the room. What does it take to provide glass?

Would I stay here again? Yes, but I would be very careful which room I paid a premium price for!

Room Tip: Do not expect anything but a room, with #207.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea D, Direttore at Hotel Ai Reali di Venezia, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Madam,
my name is Andrea Doria and I'm the GM of Hotel Ai Reali.
I read attentively your feedback regarding your recent stay in Venice and I thank for the critics you made as I say, there is always somethingto learn, but I also would like to clarify some points:
- in all rooms there are proper glasses and plastic cups. Plastic cups are located in the bathroom for hygenical reasons.
- during your conversation with our front desk manager, he informed you I was in a meeting with the ownership of the hotel and indeed I was in another buidling, No need to say that an hotel like Ai Reali could not live without a manager who totally care about its customers.
- in all rooms there is a minibar, full of any kind of drinks.
Tripadvisor offers the opportunity to the world community to write any feedback about Hotels,
it’s a joy for us when our clients post good reviews, this is our best prize for our efforts to make their stay the most enjoyable one. On the other hand we must accept also the bad comments, because this will help us to improve our service.
Best regards.
Andrea Doria
GM

Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a triple even though it was just the two of us. The hotel looked great and reviews were excellent. For our 25th I wanted to start with something very upscale and this fit the bill. The rooms are beautifully furnished with mosaic floors and black marble bathrooms. The room was quiet even though the window faced the canal that had gondola traffic all day. My wife could not stop raving about the massage she had with Roberto. She had sciatic surgery a few years ago and he new how to apply several techniques of massage to fix her back. She wanted to bring him back to Michigan. The staff was fantastic and helped get us into a Michelin restaurant not far from the hotel that is impossible to get into. The location is very close to Piazza San Marco, the Realto Bridge and other famous landmarks. The hotel has a very nice courtyard for lunch and a fantastic restaurant for dinner. It was our favorite meal of our 3 nights. Highly recommended

1  Thank George C
Reviewed May 25, 2013

we were 3 girl friends, we took vacatin from our husbands and we had a great time . the triple roon was very good and comfortable. the location was the best you can imagine. close to rialto bridge, close to San Marco and close to the best shops in town. we had twice a dinner ib the hotel resturant and we reccomand very much . The resturant. a real gurmet food. also the brekfast was exelant except that vegetables were missing.
the staff was so kindly that we realy felt at home.
when comming back again to Venice - Ai Reali will be again our choise.
Batia Dvora & Ronit

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great location, minutes from realto bridge. Beautiful hotel, the staff really make it special. They could not have don't any more for us & the restaurant was outstanding. Try the vodka martins there really good too.