“I love this gelato”
Review of Gelateria il Doge

Gelateria il Doge
Ranked #10 of 86 Dessert in Venice
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Description: In the eastern corner of the Campo Santa Margherita square, it is run by two cousinswho make their own seasonal gelatos and ices, and it has to be one of the the very best gelaterias in Venice! Read your forum for more on this one.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

By the time my husband and I had been in Venice for 30 hours, I had been to Il Doge 4 times! I knew it from a previous visit, so headed right there since Campo Santa Margherita is very close to where we were staying. There are many typical flavors, but also some house specialites. There was often a line of people waiting for gelato, and many of them were locals.

1  Thank BeverlyZ1008

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Real artisan ice cream produced freshly on site every morning. You can tell. Delicious, rich flavours. Just the right consistency of creamy yet no where near gunky. Having sampled all the gelaterie I passed, and knowing quite a bit about ice cream - Il Doge was truly the best I found in all the city!!

1  Thank Coco_the_traveller
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

There's little to say about gelato side stands except that this one has about a dozen delicious flavours organised roughly between fruit and creamy based gelato. We had a dark cherry, chocolate and hazelnut one (3 different flavours in one cup) and a mixed berry, strawberry and lemon. Each were delicious and had a strong genuine flavour - ie not artificial flavouring. These set us back €7 all together.

Highly recommend if you're in the area. Cheaper than ordering dessert in the neighbouring restaurants to much en route home or to another site.

1  Thank eatgosee
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Loved the Ice Cream, the best I have tasted yet. I have promised myself I will never buy cheap ice cream again!

2  Thank tom_overing
Reviewed November 13, 2012

OK, in all fairness we only tried 3 or 4 places, but this was our favorite. We loved the creaminess of it. Try the Doge flavor! Very unique.

1  Thank ModeenW