“fantastic gem in venice”

Charming House DD724
Ranked #4 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at the DD724 property, the hotel as opposed to the apartment i understand they have. The moment we arrived we had the warmest welcome and were invited to see two rooms that they had to offer us so we cold choose which one we preferred.
The hotel has a great location, near enough to all of the sights to walk around easily but far enough away to feel you were not amoung all of the other tourists.
The hotel iself was beautiful. It made us feel that we were in a real venetian property, small and quaint rather than a soul-less hotel. The property and the rooms were small but perfectly formed with fantastic design elements and plenty of little touches, candles in the room, great toiletries and bowls of sweets on the entrance.
There was a dining room that served breakfast from 8.30-10.30 (11 at the weekend) and there was a great choice of breads, cakes and pastries as well as bacon and eggs.
Next to the dining room was a lounge which had a large tv which was linked up to the internet and offered free internet - a nice and useful touch.
In summary, a truly lovely find and i personally can't understand the negative reviews|

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 21, 2008

We booked a standard room at the new IQ's concept hotel, run by Charming House. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen and a great canalside view (hearing the gondoliers singing as the go past was a fantastic part of the weekend).

The suite and lobby area etc are all decorated to a very high standard and are contemporary in design... because they are so contemporary it struck me that there were a few things missing that you would normally find in a hotel of this style and calibre, such as a DVD player/ stereo in room/ ipod docking station etc. For the square footage of the space the bathroom was small but well appointed with good toilettries. There were some design oversights such as having no power points to plug in the appliances they equip you with (such as a juicer and toaster) so we plugged out juicer in on the floor and the toaster was in the lounge. Their in-room internet system would not display any images which made checking the news and weather etc impossible. Very small points but there are a few of them.

Only minor criticism would be that the staff didn't always seem to communicate with each other so we had to request some things a few times but it was really not even a minor annoyance. The staff were all friendly and eager to please and the lack of front desk in the evening feels very private, so we also enjoyed that.

I would definately recommend this hotel, it is worth the money and will ensure you a memorable and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2008

We have just returned from Venice, where we have celebrated our marriage anniversary. It's our third time in this hotel as we are in love with its magical atmosphere.
This time my husband unfortunately had to leave earlier, so I was on my own for the last two days. This gave me the time to discover many new aspects of DD724. Infact I had the opportunity get to know the personnell and the hotel a lot better. Everybody was great with me, very professional and helpful. (It seemed as if they knew that I needed a hand, given that I was alone! It was touchy!) They gave me a lot of useful advice of what to do or not, where to shop and where to eat well without emptying my wallet, like many tourists do in Venice if they look for a good meal. I did not feel alone any more: when I used to come back to the hotel in the afternoon there was always somebody there for me, with a smile and a kind word. They offered tea and cookies (shaped like the letters in the name of the hotel!!!) in the newly refurbished relax area, from where you can enjoy the sight of a secret Venetian garden. I have very much enjoyed the restyling they have told me they did this winter. In addition to this new area I have found that the entire hotel had a new, warmer and more welcoming atmosphere, with new colors and very intriguing objects.
The room we always have, room C, was the same as ever (new painting though), with its usual perfect order and harmony. There was a new fig extract vanity line (they told me that its perfume has beed custom made especially for DD724). You can feel its smell in the entire hotel!
Every time I return to DD724 it's like returning home! I recommend it to everybody looking for a special stay in a special city.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2008

What a shame. Sadly, we'd have to agree with the more negative reviews here. The area that the hotel and annex (actually a floor with 2/3 rooms in a hotel 3 minutes walk away) are in is delightful. Some of the staff were helpful and friendly, the decor was stylish but everything was slightly tatty. We were glad not to be in the main building as the smell from the drains was horrendous and almost made breakfast inedible. These are things one might put up with for a reasonable rate but DD724 is extortionate for the level of accommodation and service it provides. Something has gone very wrong.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2008

What a huge disappointment DD724 was. We were given an upgrade to rooms in an annexed building - this was where the good experience finished. Both rooms were in need of maintenance and the smell of sewage was so overwhelming that we had to sleep with all the windows open - not great in January! The suite had huge patches of mouldy damp on the walls and even combined with the odour, the hotel management were unwilling to move us even though we were virtually the only guests. Both rooms needed attention, could have definitely had more rigorous cleaning and seemed to be trading on past glories.

The staff tried their best, however we came away feeling as if we had been utterly ripped off. DD724 is not a cheap option and just goes to prove that cost is not any indication of quality. We would definitely not go back to DD724 or any of its sister accommodations e.g. DD694 under any circumstances. Still ... meant we spent most of our time out which in such a beautiful city can't be a bad thing!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank roaming_01
DD724, Manager at Charming House DD724, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2008

HOTEL ANSWERS TO “What a dreadful disappointment?” AND “Sadly disappointing”

I would like to explain our point of view regarding the “bed smells” in the hotel. The bad smell is not a problem only of DD724, rather of  entire Venice, expecially of the hotels overlooking the canals. When
the water level in the canals is low or oscillates to very low, the smells emerge from everywhere. This happens mostly during winter  season, depending expecially on the tides. Last month there were  maintainance works done on the entire water front, so the parts of  the street have been left open from which probably there arrived a lot  of smell. DD724 is a restored hotel with the sewage system completely new and well tested to the norm, but the problem is that
Venice is very old. Sometimes there are old sewages that discharge directly into the canals. I find that this review is an offence to our hotel. Our hotel is among few that pays attention to detail. The review mistakenly
indicates a situation that is simply not real.
I am here to defend our utmost care for the interior design in DD724, for the furntiture and for every minute detail. The hotel is closed twice a year for works of painting and general maintainance. It  is taken care of in minimal detail as if it were a private house by
our qualified personnel. That is why many guests upon their arrival ask if the hotel has been recently open, noticing the brand new look.
Best regards
Chiara Bocchini

Reviewed December 7, 2007

We have been to Venice for my birthday. My partner offered me a wonderful surprise, I was unaware what was going on one day before the departure.
The best part on this birthday gift was the hotel. we have stayed ar DD724, Charming House. It has a wonderful location, in the center but out of the usual tourist trodden paths. we were delighted to come back in the afternoon, after a "hard days work" as a tourist, and find the relaxing atmosphere of this trendy, Zen like hotel, rather minimalist, but very well designed and with all the comforts. also the staff is really great, you can ask them anything you think of (and belive me, we had quite a few questions), they always have the right answer! they also gave us a lot of inside information, the local's point of view, something very hard to accompilsh usually in very touristy places.
our room had the most magnificent view over the canal in front of the hotel and of a small canal leading straight into Giudecca Canal. the traditional beamed ceiling blended wonderfully with the modern design.
the most thing I have liked about the room was the shower. it was so big and comfortable!
I will definitely advise all my friends and family to visit this hotel, it is a very very special place, a secret to share with your true friends!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2007

We recently traveled to Europe for our honeymoon, with Venice as one of our stops. From the moment we stepped on to the water taxi we were in love with the flair of the city. The Charming House IQs are a new apartment style hotel in Venice. Features a lot of comforts from home; there is a full kitchen, coffee/espresso maker, fridge, and dishwahser. The breakfast was just quick breads and jams, but very fresh and tastey. Staff is available from the morning till mid-afternoon to help with restaurants and directions for shopping markets. Venice is somewhat tricky to navigate with its many canals and waterways, be sure to bring a trusted map. The hotel is located near the main piazza San Marco and was quiet at night for slumber. The building the hotel is housed in, is a current residence and is situated along a main gondola route; where we were able to hear the gondola drivers singing as they rode by. Very romantic!!! The only thing the hotel was lacking was better sewage and waste disposal. For some reason we could smell the sewer in the bathroom at odd hours of the day/night. We attributed it to the hotel being new and working out the kinks. Also, bring your own toiletries. With all the supplements in the kitchen, the bathroom is lacking good travel sized products. Other than that we would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again if we ever make it back!! thank you Sophie for making our stay warm and memorable.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple