“A great little place”

Charming House DD724
Ranked #3 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here for two very enjoyable nights in Venice. I was particularly glad to find a hotel which didn't feel the need to copy the decor in the Doge's palace. DD724 is brilliantly located two minutes from the vaporetto stop at the Accademia but somehow it somehow seems to be on a quiet street. Very friendly staff and great spread put on at breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013
DD724, Proprietario at Charming House DD724, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

I wish to thank you for your beatiful rewiew dear guest.
i'm really happy you loved the location, our contemporary design and our tailored made service and overall i'm glad you appreciated the staff .we 're a good team and it's a Great pleasure to take care about our guest. I hope to see you soon

There are newer reviews for Charming House DD724

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed with my wife at DD724 for 3 wonderful days in VENISE offers by my family concerning our weeding. The service was great and people very hospitable.
We enjoyed this place and we probably go back in one year.
Thanks very well to all people in DD724.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DD724, Proprietario at Charming House DD724, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2015

Dear Patrick,
Thank you very much indeed for your fabulous feedback. We are truly honored by your 5 dot rating. It is with great pleasure that we acknowledge that you have appreciated our professional and friendly team and all services provided.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for another memorable stay at Charming house DD724.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

In June 2013, we stayed here for two days before taking a cruise in the Adriatic. We found it through Trip Advisor and it perfectly matched the descriptions we read. It was as charming as its name with an owner and staff who were incredibly helpful. It was perfectly located in a quiet, peaceful section of Venice that looks across the Grand Canal to San Marco. The entrance to the Peggy Guggenheim is down the street from Charming House and it is just a short two-block to the Accademia and a vaparetto stop. At night we could take pleasant stroll to the Zattare where we ate at a lovely waterfront restaurant recommended by the hotel staff. Venice is lovely and this is a lovely place to stay while enjoying it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DD724, Proprietario at Charming House DD724, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2015

Dear Bruce,
thank you for your wonderful review!
We are really happy to know that your stay at Charming house DD724 was the right choice for your stay in Venice and that you appreciated the amazing location, our service and our warm welcome.

It will certainly be a pleasure for us to host you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I booked the other sister hotel of DD724 originally and they moved me to DD724 because of some problem occurred, they did upgrade my room type in DD724, but the room has bad smell from its bathroom type constantly. The service in DD724 is not comparable to its sister hotel. The hotel manager Robertto is professional, but he seems very cold and careless, the recommendation he gave for the city are all very obvious and way to simple, everyone who knows the name of Venice can point out those places to go, and he claimed himself a native Venetian!? He just didn't care more about making the customer happy. For a boutique and exclusive hotel which charges very high room rate, the personal service is the key. However, not only the furniture and the decoration of the hotel room is with cheap materials, the service is so poor. The owner came to my room to deliver breakfast by herself, that is very nice of her, but I think she made a wrong hire for the hotel manager. The one thing I can't stand at all is the post card sending service, I left my cards with them with stamp fee and tips, I never see those cards in my life. Even a cheap B&B host will help me with it without tips, and the manger in this so called exclusive boutique hotel does not. I am very disappointed with this hotel. NEVER stay with DD724, if you wanna try them, stay with their sister hotel which has a great review on service. With the money you pay, you deserve A LOT MORE.

Room Tip: Choose their sister hotel, service matters.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank yessicaliu
DD724, Proprietario at Charming House DD724, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
It was quite difficult to date back to the period of your stay, because Mr Roberto finished to work for us some months ago.
I always suggest to my guests to speak with the staff if there are some problems so that we can try to solve them immediately and if it is possible we can arrange for a room change or anyway to find a solution.
I would like to inform you that I am the owner and manager of the Charming Houses (DD724 and iQs) since the opening in 2003 and Mr Roberto has never been the hotel manager of my Charming Houses.
In that period he was replacing a colleague that was absent for maternity.
I spoke with my employees to understand what happened during your stay but It is difficult for me to understand the reasons that justify your bad review.
Some people prefer the location of iQs in San Marco’s area while somebody else love to be in Dorsoduro area, but the quality of the service we provide is the same in both of the Charming Houses.
As concern the furnishing, I would like to point that all the furniture is made by Italian interior handicraftsmen and chose by famous Italian designers: Ivano Radelli, Frigerio, Artemide and Flaminia and many others.
All the rooms are decorated by Italian painters and sculptors such as Raimondo Galeano, Terenzio Eusebi, Stefania Orrù, Nazzareno and Piero Roi.as I have already mentioned in other reviews
Also for the textile, I cannot think of anything of poor quality because the blankets are made with cashmere and quilts and the curtains are made with linen. I think you can find such a good quality materials in very few other hotels in Venice.

Just to say DD724 is not lower to the Charming House iQs, the only difference is the location so people ask to choose the Charming House depending on the location they personally prefer
We pay attention to all the details such as the courtesy products which are made by Ortigia, a very famous luxury Italian brand that produce for us its fragrance, the Ambra Nera,and the quality of fragrance spread in all the Hotel , or the special selection of chocolate we offer in our buffet in the morning accompanied with pistachios, hazelnuts and pine nuts.
We usually receive many compliments because our guests appreciate the interior design and the furniture of our rooms and describe them as a perfect place where spending unforgettable moments.
I would suggest you to contact me and to be my guest again in the Charming House so that I will personally take care of you and make you change your opinion .
Please excuse all of if something was wrong and make you live the stay you expected.
Warm regards
Chiara Bocchini

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This house (and it feels more like a home than a hotel) is a designed/modern hotel. It does not look like 'old venice' but rather cosmopolitan and modern (with the people touches that ensure it feels like home and that you are a guest). Wonderfully located in a very quiet part of Dorsoduro (just steps away from the Peggy Guggenheim (a must visit). In the main house there are just six or seven rooms and three more rooms are just around the corner. We stayed around the corner (it was offputting at first to be away from the main location) but we came to enjoy feeling like we were living on our own in Venice -- in a wonderfully designed room with plenty of space including a walkin rain shower. Everyone who works at Charming House aims to please -- from the owner who you come to feel is a long lost friend to the desk staff with personalized recommendations for places to eat to the crew who help serve breakfast (always on a modern tray and you smile when your coffee is served along-side DD724 in Cheerio-brand cereal letters! Great touches. I give it four stars (rather than five) ... not being told that we would be staying in the adjunct location before we arrived (a bit offputting initially) when we originally asked for the main location.

We stayed at the most charming house in Venice, and what a coincidence, it is called Charming House, from the moment we stepped inside we just fell in love with this lovely guest house. We were welcomed by the ( yes that word again ) charming owner and made to feel at home. Our room was beautiful with everything we needed, with a great view over a quiet canal .
We were given good advice by the staff about restaurants, museums and transport
The small hotel had a very minimallistic look about it, eg art work in the foyer, guestrooms and breakfast room, but with a warm and friendly ambience, candles lighted every evening
The breakfast was super, served in a lovely room on beautiful crockery by friendly , helpful waitrons. Can`t wait for our next trip to Venice and the Charming House

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank eawnyc

Dear Guest,
first of all thank you for choosing Charming house DD724 for your visit in Venice!
It is a pleasure to read your excellent evaluation about our boutique hotel and all the services provided. We are glad you had a memorable stay and no reward is better than having a guest satisfied and pleased by the Charming house DD724 experience.

We hope you will come back to visit us for another memorable stay!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed with my wife at the DD724 for 3 days in May 2013 and we liked the place even if it is clearly far too expensive for what it is: 3 nights at almost €1200 euros for the cheapest room is too much for a "hotel" of this category, even in Venice. In any other big italian cities, you have much better for this price.

This is not really a hotel, but a large apartment converted in a hotel with limited (but good) services. The entrance hall on the ground-floor is just a corridor and a staircase plus a 2 square meter reception. You feel actually bad for the person at the reception who has so little space that they cannot even sit properly. They had actually enough place to put a proper reception at the room level but I think the people who own the place were a bit cheap and did not do it.

Then you have a bigger room after 1.5 story of staircase which feels quite boutique hotel, with art pieces. If you have suitcases, you have to put them in an elevator in which you cannot go because they tell you it is too old (not sure what you do if you are disabled). In addition to the the room at the top of the staircase there is a living room with a TV and a small dining room with four tables for the breakfast, which is prepared and served on demand with a limited buffet. The breakfast quality is good but because it is available only during two hours, you are always with the other guests at the same time and the cosiness of the place becomes a disadvantage with other people listening to your conversations. Also, they first serve you a fruit salad and a coffee/cappuccino and then propose you bacon and eggs, which feels very weird. This should be the other way around.

Pros:
- Very well located in a not too touristic location. Very practical to go around,
- cosy feeling in the common parts,
- The people working at the Hotel are quite nice and helpful,

Cons:
- We had the "cheapest" room which has absolutely no natural light. It is not small but you feel a bit cramped. The Bathroom, with just a shower, was very small and was very basic with not everything you would expect for a hotel of this category.
- The design and the furniture in the room feel very very cheap. There were carpets on the floor that you can probably buy at €20 euro in a local ikea (actually Ikea would probably feel more upscale). The bed was not good. No duvet and it was quite cold in the room.
- When you prepay they still ask for your credit card that they copy with a 1970's carbon copy machine, which is really unpleasant (particularly as it happens in your 5 first minutes in the place).

If we return to Venice I will look for something else. this is a pity as with a bit of efforts and some additional investments it could have been a great place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tony14
DD724, Proprietario at Charming House DD724, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear guest,
I wish to thank you very much for your review.
Even it isn’t very nice I appreciate it anyway. Your opinion is always very important to me and a good opportunity for make clear same important aspect about the Charming House.
I try to communicate how is the every aspects and services of the Charming House to my guest.
The Charming House DD724 is not a conventional hotel, if you think to find a big hotel or a typical venetian furniture hotel is the one that you don’t have to choose. Our Charming House DD724 and iQs are different and there are shown on the web site exactly how they are.
The dd724 is very well located and you appreciated this also with the breakfast and the staff.
Probably it means you didn’t like the contemporary design very simple and modern and I’m very sorry because we specified a lot of picture and description it on our web site.
The rooms and all the palace were decorated by the famous architect Mauro Mazzolini, he loves like me the contemporary design and art. Every single furniture was tailor made by a craftsman with precious materials and wood.
For the interior design we choose the best Italian designer, for the bathroom we choose the porcelain by Flaminia and the taps by Cristina, the lighting by Via Bizzuno and Casa Milano; for the coating we choose Moroso and Frigerio, famous in all over the world, for the bed natural and real skin.
Italian true and real good art is everywhere, even inside the room with painted and sculptures such as Gianni Tarli, Stefania Orru, Terenzio Eusebi, Piero Roi etc….
We have new led televisions, dvds player, mini bar, and all the technologies.
Only the room that you choose doesn't have Nespresso machine inside.
I don't know why you and somebody else see IKEA design here. Personally I love many of IKEAS's objects. Be simple doesn't mean be IKEA.
Fortunately most of my guests love this style and I'm very sorry when someone arrives at Charming House DD724 and expect to find the usual venetian style place.
About the reception I want to explain that we don't have a reception but only a place where you can leave your documents to be registered, like many other hotels in Venice.
Our intimacy charms and tailor made services are very appreciated.
I'd like also to tell something about the rates, our rates are always are aligned to our competitors.
Prices are subjected to changes for example if you book in advance is more convenient than last minute booking. I want to underline that in high season and overall during the biennale period (as your stay)the prices are higher than normal.
I suggest to all my future guests to check the offers and relative rates for choose the best solution for your staying in the charming house.
I'd like to have you as guests another time and you'll give us another change to make you feel what the Charming House DD724 and iQs are.
Thank you again.
C.B.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in the apartment just down the street from the main hotel. The room was spacious and had everything we needed: a large comfortable bed, plenty of room and kitchenette with Nespresso machine and water kettle for my early morning coffee. Then we headed over for the lovely breakfast--eggs cooked to order! We found the location perfect. Nestled in a neighborhood right next to the Peggy, it was quiet. The neighborhood restaurants are good and convenient. A water taxi dropped us off just steps away from the hotel and then getting to the Vaporetto stop (Accademia Bridge) or crossing the bridge over to San Marco was all very convenient. The owners and staff were so welcoming and helpful. We would happily recommend this hotel and would stay here on our next visit to Venice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to post your nice and detailed review. We are so pleased to read you found the service provided by our team attentive and accurate. We are pleased to learn that you appreciated the largeness and the comfort of your room.
Your review has been shared with the team and it is certainly encouraging as our aim is offering a great italian experience.
On behalf of Charming house DD724 we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,