“Excellent base for Venice Trip”

Novotel Venezia Mestre
Ranked #154 of 386 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Enger, Germany
“Excellent base for Venice Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We travelled to Venice with 2 kids (12 and 16). We had an Executive Room with City Breaks package - Nespresso machine in the room, nice touch! Large room with nice bathroom. Location in Mestre is close to Venice, but definitely more convenient if you have a car, otherwise you must return fairly early from Venice with the bus. There is a Lidl a few minutes walk from the hotel. Check in was friendly and efficient. The breakfast was quite good, and varied. Parking was not a problem, plenty available outdoor, and also indoor if necessary (paying though). Definitely good value for money in this area!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ettore C, Direttore at Novotel Venezia Mestre, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Customer

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience following your stay at our hotel.
My team and I are really grateful for your kind words of appreciation, which encourage us to keep up our efforts, ensuring the service we provide always meets your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon at one of the Novotel hotels.
Yours sincerely.

Ettore Cavallino,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Clean, spacious room, clean spacious bathroom,quite fast wi-fi connection at all areas and the room. The breakfast included in the rate, was very good the first morning but quite average the second morning(probably due to the fact that two large groups of Japanese and Chinese tourists were staying at the hotel). Other than that we fount that overall our staying was quite good and quite reasonable priced. Usually we are quite happy with Accor hotels, because you know what to expect for the money paid.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Venicemania
Dear Customer

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at one of the Novotel hotels.
Yours sincerely.

Ettore Cavallino,
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Had to use this hotel after RCI put us in the awfull hotel Ariston in mestre Venice what a lovely clean spacious room with good view . Bus to venice less than 5 min walk and only €1.60 each way we will use this hotel again if we ever come back to venice . Please Note the local bus stops @10 pm returning from Venice and its a €25/€30 Taxi ride back to hotel if you miss last bus

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saddlerkevin
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely, modern hotel. However, it is in the middle of nowhere on the side of a motorway. The trip into Venice is about 30 minutes by local bus but its always rammed full in the morning although it only costs €1.30 one way. The last bus back from venice is 20.45hrs or approx €40 by taxi. The breakfast is typical bacon, hotdogs and scrambled egg with the normal extras of cereal, cheese, ham and boiled egg. The room is very spacious and clean and the bathroom is modern with bath and overhead shower. I would recommend this hotel to people with a car. It's to far away to call back to if your out site seeing.

• Stayed October 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is wonderful for business travelers, but if you're a tourist hoping to explore Venice, this hotel is not conveniently located - stay on the island instead!!! I believe you have to drive in (not sure if there are public transport options), and parking in Venice is very difficult, so having a car is a burden.

That said, the hotel is beautiful and modern with spacious, comfortable rooms, excellent WiFi, delicious and diverse breakfast buffet, and nice meeting areas in the lobby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TruthIsThat
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

A great place to spend the night before the trip home in the morning. A very good breakfast display with many choices. We had a good night's sleep after our week touring the Adriatic. The cost was quite reasonable. The location is not good for visiting Venice because the cab fare is about 35 Euros but is a good overnight stop on the way through Venice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hi, if you are visiting Venice for pleasure, stay on Venice Island. Mestre district – where Novotel is – is not Venice! It’s off a highway. 200m to a bus stop doesn't seem like a long distance, but you have to walk along the highway with no pedestrian walkway. I arrived to Venice airport early morning, extending my business trip. I left the big luggage at the airport storage, and that helped me. You have to take bus #15 to Via Carducci, then bus #8 towards Preganziol Bus #8 never showed up! I waited 40 minutes at a local bus stop at Via Carducci. Finally, I asked bus #7 if it would get me to Novotel, and he nodded yes. Bus service into Venice island is a bit better, but again, the buses are packed, and it’s seems to be a LONG ride if you’re standing and trying to hold your luggage from rolling. Cost: bus #15 is €2.50, and #8 is €1.50 - buy tickets in a vending machine before you board or from a driver, but you have to have small change.
My room was just “cleaned” when I checked in. The maids were still on my floor cleaning other rooms. I did not bother to check my room there and then. I just dropped my luggage and escaped to Venice. I followed the instructions on the safe box, and it was not working.
Keep in mind the last bus back to this area from Venice island is shortly after 8:00pm. Don’t plan a theatre at night, or taxi will cost you more than a dirty room at Novotel.
When I came back, I wanted to take a shower and go down to the bar. I found long black hair on my bathtub (my hair is blonde), and my bathroom floor has not been washed for about a month. I could see footprints among the soap scum on the floor. Egh! One of the two lights at the mirror irritatingly blinked, so I turned it off and put my makeup using the remaining weak lamp. I don’t even want to mention how thick a layer of dust was under my uncomfortable bed.
The bar downstairs seemed to be nice… until I ordered some seafood salad and wine. Salad was a mixture of overgrown fresh cucumbers, rusty iceberg lettuce, canned string beans, and canned tuna – a revolting mix.
Next morning, at check out, I found another surprise: a charge for my breakfast. At check-in, they gave me a “coupon” for a €7.00 (for people on the run) or €14.00 breakfast (for those who have more time). Here is a cultural lesson for you: in America, coupon means that price is deducted from your total bill or waived completely; in Italian, coupon means that’s the price you pay! I never felt as sorry for €48 as I felt at the checkout at this dirty remote hotel. Please avoid.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo