“Lovely Hotel!”

Hotel Antiche Figure
Ranked #10 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 night break in Venice between Xmas and new year, something we have done for 9 out of the last 11 years. We have usually always stayed in a different hotel in various districts including the Bellini, The Principe, ca dei Conte, Carlton on the Grand Canal, Locanda Orseola and Star Hotel Splendid. We have always had a good time, hence we keep returning(!) however I was a little worried having booked the Antiche Figure as it was only 3 stars but seemed to get good reviews. I need not have had any concerns as the room was just ideal.(room 111) far more space than we have had in the past and visitors to Venice on a medium budget will be aware that space in rooms is generally very limited! Lots of space for our luggage, a nice dressing table and small seating area with table. The bathroom though was amazing with bath/ shower,toilet, bidet and a huge mirror over double his n hers wash basins with 3 chandeliers and great lighting. Plenty of wardrobe space and tea/ coffee facilities which were replenished regularly especially with my favourite tea. The breakfasts, although not hot offered plenty of continental choices with very attentive staff on hand. On checking out the lady at reception asked if I had been unhappy with anything at all, as they like to listen to comments and advice from guests in order to improve. I told her we had been happy with everything but I suppose if I had been picky I could have told her that I found the pillows a little flat/ hard for my liking but that was really very minor so I didn't bother. We were advised to email the hotel if we wished to come back as returning guests and they would give us their best price to beat website prices. All in all we had a lovely time at this hotel and have already decided to return here on our next visit.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bev A
There are newer reviews for Hotel Antiche Figure

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We made our reservation at the Hotel Antiche Figure based on ratings here on Trip Advisor, and we were not disappointed. We booked a superior triple room and upgraded upon check-in to a larger waterfront (canal) view. The room was quiet, comfortable with very tall ceilings. The carpet was a bit tired, but otherwise it was very nice. Not sure if upgrading made a difference, but if the upgrade was a larger room, then it was worth it, because even with the upgrade, with 3, it was just comfortable. Pros: Great location, wonderful and helpful staff, easy walk from train station (directly across the canal), and easy access to the Vaporetto which took us easily to the San Marco stop. Large bathrooms, comfortable beds, excellent breakfast.
Cons: Really, none. This was a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank traveltrio03
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My mother and I stayed at the Antiche Figure for three nights in December. One of the best things was that when we exited the train station I could actually see where we were heading (which was a relief after navigating to hotels in five other cities). The hotel is right on the grand canal, and close to the originating stop for the public ferry that runs up and down the canal. We were very pleased with the service we got at the hotel, the staff were very friendly and helpful. When we checked in we were asked if we would like to stay in a two room suite around the corner, we agreed as it would be nice to each have our own space for a while, and were pleased to find a kitchenette in our room. Comp,tee with hot pot and coffee and tea. Breakfast was a cold buffet, the only thing hot was boiled eggs. It had plenty of sweet breads along with fruit, yogurt and cereal. All in all I was quite happy with this hotel and would recommend it to anyone who was willing to walk a bit to get to restaurants for dinner.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a lovely hotel and I'll call it a solid three-star. I stayed four nights.
Pros:

The entire staff is wonderful. They're professional, helpful, and friendly. Linda, in the breakfast room, has incredible energy and manages to do everything with a smile, even while catering to large numbers of people. I was really impressed. Ramon, at the reception, has got to be one of the nicest people I've met and shared a wealth of information on Venetian cuisine. And Alessandro is one of the best managers of any hotel I've stayed at: if anything needed attention (I had issues with the shower and the heat), he made sure it got done immediately. Again, always with a smile and real dedication to his work. If I owned the hotel, I would give him a raise.

Cons:
The two rooms I occupied (I switched) were both pretty small, which I think is par for the course. The walls are thin, so one night I got to hear a couple argue and the other nights I was a bit too close to the elevator (you hear the shaft). The whole place could be renovated (old carpets, frayed fabrics), but faded as it is, the hotel is also kept very clean.

Pro or con:
I chose the hotel on account of its location, an easy walk across the bridge from the train station. That means you're quite a distance from St. Mark's, but that's also an advantage, because virtually everything in Venice is in the historic district, so you manage to avoid the crowds and the noise. And, when you do head over the main part of town, you can either walk through this fascinating city or take the traghetto down the Grand Canal, in what may be the most beautiful ride on the planet.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dctraveler15
Reviewed December 26, 2012

As I have done with so many other hotels on this trip, I chopped and changed a lot. First I wanted a quiet room out the back as I was put off by the reviews of old, noisy rooms at the front. In the end, because of the occasion, I changed to a room with a view of the canal and hoped for the best.

Then Carpatair cancelled our flight and forced us to stay an extra night. At just a week or so's notice the hotel took it in their stride. Granted it wasn't summer - it was 19th-22nd December - but Christmas isn't exactly off-season.

We had a beautiful room overlooking the canal, just one floor up, which was a concern as it was pretty close to the street and the canal, but the double-glazing was more than up to the task of damping out most sounds. Unfortunately on the first night Hannibal and his troupe of elephants booked the room above us and decided to pace up and down for 3 hours, after first having arranged some piece of china so it would clink at each pace.

Afetr 2 hours of building up a murderous rage I went down to the night porter and asked him to do something. He clearly didn't relish the idea of intervening and suggested I talk to the guests myself. At 1.30am and furious, I pointed out that if I did the whole hotel would be awake. He duly phoned Hannibal, who assured the porter that the elephants were in bed and I returned to my room to listen to the last hour of marching practice.

The next morning I spotted a gent in a suit. "Are you the manager?", I asked. "You must be room 111," he responded. At this point things could have gone very wrong and ended with a ruined Venice trip. Instead he sorted the problem out quickly, efficiently and to my complete and utter satisfaction - and then more.

I hate saying exactly what people do when they go out of their way for me, as I don't want other people to expect the same treatment as standard. What the manager did was professional and, some might argue, what should have been done, but I will give credit where it's due, he saved our trip.

The new room was Hannibal-free and beautiful. The rooms with a view are classical with modernities where necessary (eg the glazing), have beautiful beds and furnishings and have everything you might want.

My only complaint was that after a few weeks I'm craving a hot breakfast, which I'm finding hard to find on my travels..

Room Tip: Definitely get a higher room, which are more likely to be Hannibal-free/ 111 was the first room, an...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gordon_Bennett_NZ
Reviewed December 26, 2012

You can see the hotel from the opposite side of the Grand Canal as you come out of the railway station but you cannot see or hear the trains. It’s a great location for soaking up the venetian buzz. The hotel inside was quiet and peaceful even though it is next to the busiest part of the Grand Canal. If you have one day in Venice and time only for sites around San Marco Piazza (St Mark’s square) then I would recommend a hotel that is nearer to the square. But if you have more time (and a good map) then this hotel is an excellent base from which to explore the districts of Venice. Part of the charm of Venice is getting knowingly lost in the streets and alleys but if you became completely disorientated any local person would be able to direct you back to the main railway station from where the hotel can be easily found.

We had a nice, clean room, breakfast was good and staff were excellent. We were recommended a very good nearby restaurant (La Rosa Dei Venti) for our first night’s dinner. All in all, I would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Great location - we took a water taxi right to the front door. Staff was extremely friendly and made an extra effort to see that we were pleased. Nice European breakfast included. Took advantage of room upgrade on Canal. Second floor room didn't have balcony but enjoyed balcony from third floor room. Highly recommend. Would have purchased all day ferry pass to get around if we would have been aware of it before our last say. Even though we discovered there is no straight route to anywhere in Venice we can't wait to revisit and will attempt to stay at Hotel Antiche Figure again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends